It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Games are Not Evil and Demonic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Right i saw a thread about how video games where demonic.

Now i want to tell you all something, i started playing games when i was 6, my first game was called Apocalypse on the PS1, at the age of about 7 or 8 i was paying GTA1, now i have grown up to be a nice person, i dont cause fights, get into trouble, steal cars or anything.

So these games dont get programmed into people minds and im a living example of it, just because you steal a car on a game doesnt mean your going to go outside and steal one.

And yes it is fun to kill peope in video games because they are not real, they dont have feelings, they dont have families.

End Rant.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Agreed.

Video games are not demonic because that would make demons real and mean that they were influencing all the game designers and the billion plus players of such games. From something controlled by an evil supernatural force we'd expect to see violence coming in high rates from gamers but we don't. I'd expect at least 80% of people who play rated M games to murder someone if demons were involved

Video games are not evil though they may depict deeds that we'd deem evil they do so in a virtual world without consequences. The danger comes when the weak minded or obsessed blend fiction with reality and end up doing something stupid...

The fact is that video games are another in a long line of things that the religious zealots and parents team up against. Rock and Roll music - Demonic. Pokemon and Anime - Demonic. Looney Toons - leads to violence. Anything the older generation doesn't approve of is either evil, leads to violence, or somehow leads to teen pregnancy

Video games, like all fiction, are mainly for entertainment and escapism, to get away from the real world into a place where the rules don't apply and where anything is possible. Some game designers simply push those to extremes... Most gamers are ordinary people...

However I think there ARE legitimate concerns about how game obsessed our culture is becoming. Truth be told a more dangerous outcome is all of us become obese basement dwellers stuffing down cheese doodles and energy drinks while leveling on WoW and other all enveloping alternate worlds. We are moving towards simulated reality (according to some we are in one already) where the laws of physics and everything else will be at our command (within this virtual world) and you will be able to experience ANYTHING you can imagine - for a price... That's the true danger, that we might all get integrated into some uber-reality which isn't really real and forget what is real...

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Here he explains the semantics.

Incase your afraid to link though.

"Demonic" is a colloquiallism referring to "even lower than bad".

It's the same though, if you don't put something into someones head though, it wouldn't be there.

Although it may occur.

You can look at murders, caused in the name of music and such.
Desensitation, spelled wrong lol.

You do the same thing long enough, you can be conditioned to feel the same effect in 'real' life. Desensitized.

Maybe not you, heck, maybe not the majority, but for some, somethings sprung up.

www.youtube.com...

People, don't always take the normal route in this crap, man, some may do... and good for you. But some don't. And I know, well some dont' and forget them.

But if they are the ones, chopping peoples heads off, pissing on people, or shooting up school children, that's, when I don't think advocating it, is the best idea.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Well duh of course they aren't evil. I too think it's detestable for this hatred against video games to exist when it should be the media as a whole that's blamed for violence, sex, ect.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperDylan
Well duh of course they aren't evil. I too think it's detestable for this hatred against video games to exist when it should be the media as a whole that's blamed for violence, sex, ect.

LMAO, you really know what irks me!

Go to Foxnews.com and Look on the front page.

Here's how it goes, everytime you look.

1) You see propaganda.
2) Some important #.
3) Stock! yay, there up!
4) Some crazy stuff!
5) Someone got a boob job.
6) Someone else got a boob job!
7) Someone cut someones body up, while there alive!
8) Whose boobs are better!?
9) Who everyone else thinks boobs are better!
10) Sex Advice!
11) Have you not found this page the same as a Xtenze commercial...really.

And with all the others.

It's awful... To see it for what it is, I used to love fox news . com . now I just hate it.

I sift through luckily through ats.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
From a psychological persepctive...if you watcha rock band or play a video game and you kill someone...you are a killer without that video game

I really don't see any other way that millions play GTA and yet they never car jack

Personally I love playing GTA and smacking the living poop out of a character...a CHARACTER....not a person...a set of pixels

to the men and women who murder in the name of Black Sabbath or GTA...you were evil without Sabbath and GTA

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Right i saw a thread about how video games where demonic.
End Rant.

As if. Have you ever heard of doom? Doom 2? Doom 3? Hell (geddit), they're even making a doom 4. ;-P

In Doom there are demons from hell...

I win. Video games ARE demonic! ;-P

I totally agree though. Video games are good. I played doom, wolfenstein 3d, at from wheni was young. all the way up till today playing all sorts of violent games. But im very passive, Hate fights, never get into them. Hate abuse both physical and emotional. I never yell at people in rage or anger. When people start getting like that i tell them to be quiet and discuss the matter in an adult calm civilised manner via discussion etc. No need t be primative with raised voices, etc. ;-P

"Video games, like all fiction, are mainly for entertainment and escapism, to get away from the real world into a place where the rules don't apply and where anything is possible. Some game designers simply push those to extremes... Most gamers are ordinary people...
"

i totally agree. and the slander other people, parents, other people, the media put on violent video games is ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
No matter what certain people like to preach about, be they school marms, religious leaders or just those around you, you should always tell them that video games are a medium in the same manner as movies or music.

Censorship is wrong, and video games are not demonic.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Galaxian was STRESSFUL!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Some of the most prolific serial killers and criminals of our time (Bundy, Casey, Manson, Green River) never even touched a video game because they weren't even invented yet. Even if the games had been invented, they wouldn't have had time to play them because these monsters were too busy stalking their next victim.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Some games are intentionally demonic. I made a level for unreal tournament 2004 called UltraHell that i spent a long time researching witch craft and satanism to make it as authentic as possible.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Its not that the games themselves are evil but it depends on who is playing them. If it's some kid who is having a hard time getting through life then killing games will have more of an effect on that kid than some kid who is happy with life. Then again there could always be different factors..

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
yes agreed

videogames are not evil, and never will be ...

I did a research about it and I found out that when the first violent games came out, the violence went down ....

they made a episode about this too .. I dont remeber what guys ... the bull# guys, you know ... I dont remeber their names ... BUT it was made this year and it is on youtube ... so if anyone knows

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Wow... your first game being on the PS1 really makes me feel old.

Nintendo generation for the epic win!

I don't think video games are inherently "demonic", I put an NES emulator on my PC, so my 5yr old can play Mario Bros. I guess I have corrupted her with video games for life now.

World of Warcraft players = innocent
World of Warcraft developers = creative genius
Blizzard executives = demons, definitely demons

Still, better than watching TV.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Indeed, here's a funny moment that made a statement to me..

In class the teacher asked how many of us play video games. Of course I play them a looooooot, but I'd say I'm fairly calm when it comes to that class room. But all the most annoying, roudy, and even violent of students in that class said they don't play them.

Not that it changes what they are like, but apparently VGs didn't make me the ADD child and not playing them didn't help much for others.

It's all about how you take it in. An idiot might play GTA and think 'COOL, SHOOTING, I SHOULD DO THAT IN REAL LIFE.' A normal player should think 'FUN, SHOOTING, THAT WOULD SUCK IN REAL LIFE BETTER NOT'..

lol

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
people just get hyped up over bull# 'cause thats all thats circulating in their head. violence,sex,drugs

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by eMachine
Wow... your first game being on the PS1 really makes me feel old.

Nintendo generation for the epic win!

and you my dear friend just made me feel even older!

Intellivision baby!! :-p (still have a working set of Intellivision and Atari 2600

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
The first game i had ever touched, was Castle Wolfenstein on the commodore 64!

No. Games are just as demonic as films, television and music.
Watch television, forget what the product is, listen out for keywords
and key shots. Sexuality is used SO much in advertising, that itself
is the work of satan. As they say, Sex sells.

Video games are not made to advertise anything,
they are there to create worlds and places we could only imagine,
and do things we can not do.

How cool would it be (as a guy) to be the only one to take on an evil race of aliens, beat them and have stripers and women all over you.
You can do that in Duke Nukem.

Ever wanted to recreate that scene from heat?
Do that in GTA.

Ever wanted to nuke a city?
You can do that in Fallout 3.

Ever wanted your own theme park with your own custom made rollercoaster?
You can do that on theme park.

The best games, are the best for telling stories,
noway in hell does anything compare to a game
in telling a story and capturing atmosphere, keep you clinging on.

Tell me anything that can immerse you as much as Final Fantasy 7, or Half life or System Shock 2.

Video games are the best story telling medium.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by wazthewazzock]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
but then you said above that that video games are demonic??

Not making fun...confused

-Kyo

new topics

top topics

join