It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Symposium: Why do so many Jews still vote Democrat?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The basic question is flawed. Some Jews are Democrats. Some are Republican. Some vote for the Green party, for Ron Paul, Libertarian, and whatever. And why not? "Jew" isn't some monolithic belief. It's a bunch of individuals, each of whom has had a different life experience, each of whom has different education, experience, beliefs, and prejudices. To ask why "Jews vote for Democrats" is as silly as asking why Christians vote for Ron Paul. Some do some don't. End of discussion.

As for the perceived hostility of Jews against Christians - it's not so, no more than Christian hostility against Jews, or any religion's hostility against any other religion. There are differences of beliefs, and sometimes extreme believers in one group are hostile towards those in another group. However, overall, most people of a given religion aren't particularly worried about other people of a different religion.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

Some Jews are Democrats. Some are Republican.

Surely.

But the article and its subscribers make very good points as to the fact that most American Jews do in fact vote democratic. '

If you read the article and some of its comments then you would have seen where the ratio was 9:1 voting Democrat during the years after WWII.

Therefore, in my opinion the question is valid. But thanks for your civil and on topic input...Your the first so far! Seems like there should be an award or something...

edit for typos

[edit on 23-8-2009 by open_eyeballs]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

His question is a perfectly valid one. Jewish voters do, in fact, tend to lean heavily towards the Democratic party on election day, usually by at least a 3:1 ratio in presidential elections.

I think the answer may in fact be very simple. Around 80% of Jewish Americans live in less than a dozen states...most of them extremely liberal. For instance, over 40% of all Jewish Americans live in California and New York alone. Throw in New Jersey, Maryland, and Massachusetts and you've got 60% and right at 70% with Pennsylvania, Illinois and Connecticut added in for good measure.

Their populations certainly seem to be concentrated in highly liberal areas. My guess is that their political attitudes are simply mirroring those of the society in which they live. Its not the fact that they're Jewish that's drawing them to the Democratic party, but that the vast majority of them are simply liberals, just as their non-Jewish neighbors are.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by vor78]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

That is very astute! And definitely a reason one of the commentators of the article goes into.

Another reason was that the Jewish faith inspires liberalism to a certain degree...Seemed rather odd to me, but none the less, a case was made for it...

Again, though, I want to reiterate my main question. Why wouldnt the Jews align themselves with the religious right?

The right that holds a steadfast zionist approach to Israel that would seem to be the more a logical allie for the Jewish people.

I have two thougths on this.
1) Jews have never really "befriended" Catholic Christians or fundamentalist Christians because the difference in beliefs and the possible involvement in the holocaust...

2) The religious leaders mean to keep a "half way" facade in affairs so that the political parties are kept in opposition to each other in the public view when in fact they are very much in bed with eah other when it comes to foreign policy and Israel. A manipulation of sorts...

It just doesnt make sense to me when the right has so many steadfast supporters of Israel that most Jews would remain faithful to the left...

I find that a tad suspicious...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join