It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we scared of spiders?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
That is funny the cat would not even go near the spider, of course I don`t know where you live. Here in Ohio the biggest spiders we get are the Wolf Spider. But if you lived in Australia, man some of those spiders would scare a bear. I saw a picture once of lady with one stuck up on the wall of the shower and it must have been eight inches across. That would be enough to give me a heart attack, go to the bathroom at night, flip on the light and see that.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I dislike esp. the long legs and the fast crawling...

Whenever I see one in my appartment I throw a shoe carton on it or anything like that and my boyfriend has to put it away...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Eek- my biggest fear.

For me, it's their lack of fear. I'm much bigger than it, it's in MY space, and it just looks at me. A total F off.

They're fast. really f-ing fast, and the fact that they know exactly where to go so i can't reach them makes me feel plotted against, especially when I find them again about to fall into my hair. And yes, they are ALL poisonous and some of them are really really BIG. They're diabolical, and they know just what to do to up the creep factor. I hate them, and they are the ONLY thing able to make this grown mom of two cry and flail around like a maniac. And they know it.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamherefornow

I'm in East Tennessee. We have black widows, brown recluses, and some freakin' huge (to me) hairy brown things that I call wolf spiders. They can jump, but I don't know if they're the 'real' wolf spider or not.

I was bitten by a recluse once....in a department store. No, really, its not an urban legend. Luckily the salesperson recognized the spider and we went to the hospital quickly. It hurt like....well, it hurt bad, and I've a nice scar as a reminder. But the docs started treatment quickly enough that there was minimal tissue sloughing.

On the other hand, I do think the yellow garden spiders (we call them writing spiders for the intricate webs they weave) are absolutely beautiful. I don't mind those, so long as they keep out of my house.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Spiders are cool.

I put daddy long legs and huntsman spiders outside and feed the ones I dont want to my fish. They make awesome crunching sounds when he chews them up

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
what is even more scary to know about spiders is the fact that sometimes the females literarily eat the males...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
MissMegs

Those huntsman spiders. are they not the ones that get huge? I think thats the picture I saw of a woman with one in the shower in Australia. How big do they really get? Don`t you also have the FunneL Web that is venomous?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I think it is mostly also a matter of habit that we are scared about them and I must say I don't like them in the house as well....I usually remove them straight away and put them somewhere outside...but the scaring itself I think it comes mainly from those big spiders whose poison can be deathly...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamherefornow

I have seen Huntsman spiders with their legs stretched out as big as your hand.

We have funnel web spiders, redback, white tail... all venemous. There would be heaps more to add too.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I have always had what I call, an irrational fear of spiders. But looking back on my past, it is definitely not irrational. When I was 5 years old, my grandmother, who was obese and liked to sit in a particular chair all day, told me that if I went into the back yard (where she could not see me from her chair), I would be in danger of falling into a spider's web and that spider would eat me. Sick, no? I tell you, I have a Master's Degree in Information Science, yet until this day, I am primally afraid of spiders.

So, being someone who is interested in the truth, I began to observe spiders around my house. I had to try and surpress the urge to kill them. But I did. And I came to my own realization that they are peaceful creatures. And maybe they are watching us. Watching us and reporting? To a higher being? I don't know why I feel that way, but it is on a very psychic level. Very odd to me.

I had been watching for days a HUGE, I mean, GINORMOUS, garden spider outside the front of my house. Despite the primal fear, I wanted to see the creature in action.

But today, when I returned from work, he/she was dead in its own web. I got the most eerie feeling looking at it hanging there. I mean, I saw it this morning and it was alive. What happened? Somehow, it made me very sad to see it hanging there.

Any explanations woud be welcomed.

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join