It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we scared of spiders?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Once when I was working for the local park service, we were clearing overgrowth beside a stream. Something that felt like a wasp the size of a basketball stung me on the back of the neck. I never saw what spider it was, but instinct tells me it was a wolf spider.

The pain and burning was incredible. My boss told me I will be fine and to get back to work.

I was 18 at the time and stupid. I didn't pursue it. But the back of my neck puffed up and scabbed over for several months. Especially at the bite marks. It was so bad it eventually left a scar that I had for several years, that actually looked like dracula bit me. But the odder part still is that for 2 years after that, the back of my neck and ears would scale over. Like I was morphing into something. This would happen like every two months.

I never figured out what that was. And being a stupid teen, never sought treatment. I think I might not of had insurance at the time. We didn't have much money, so I didn't want to make my mother pay for it.

But I would love to know what spider did that.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

I've found widow spiders within just a few feet of one another.
But yeah, I didn't think about the color change.

Doubtful you would find that many females that close.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Cellulitis.

It could have been anything. Probably a wasp. The irritation may have been due to bacteria introduced through the action of penetrating your skin. Like Staff, for instance.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I never saw what spider it was, but instinct tells me it was a wolf spider. The pain and burning was incredible. My boss told me I will be fine and to get back to work.

Wolf spiders don't bite, and they are in no way venomous to humans, so i would have to say it was something else.

It swelled up and scabbed? And you saw bite marks? What did they look like?

edit: Jay beat me to it. It's nice to see somebody else out there with some knowledge i can relate to, lol.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by 27jd]

[edit on 23-8-2009 by 27jd]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
Doubtful you would find that many females that close.

Yup. One spider for one web. They let a male hang out for some loving, for a little while, but if he overstays his welcome, you know what happens.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
One suggestion for anybody reading this who doesn't want spiders, or any visible bug in the house. GET A CAT.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Better yet, get some Diatomaceous Earth.

It will kill all of those critters and it is harmless to pets and humans. It is made primarily of ground sea-shells.

Good stuff.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I dunno, here in AZ we have one home invader that can withstand anything, i doubt even anything saddam hussein had would stop them, lol. The bark scorpion, little bastards are immune to everything, even shoe soles, you can step on them and when you lift your foot they take off running again, cuz they're so damned flat. Here there are people you can pay to completely seal your house off, thats the only way to keep them out. But cat's take care of them, we watched our bengal cat dismantle a bark scorpion. I think he got stung in the mouth though, cuz he was bothering with it for a day or two after, but he was fine. The scorpion didn't fare so well, lol.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

I'm always interested in the toughness of animals.
I was on a job once and this lady had a blue-heeler dog that had the MOST HORRIBLE wound on his face.

He had been bitten in the muzzle by a timber rattlesnake. He was fine though. Just a really big swell on his nose.

The Diatomaceous Earth works really well, though. You should try it.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I am scared s__tless of spiders, but when it comes to eating one...

It better be dead

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Sounds like a Brown Recluse spider.

From Wiki:

A minority of brown recluse spider bites form a necrotizing ulcer that destroys soft tissue and may take months to heal, leaving deep scars. The damaged tissue will become gangrenous and eventually slough away. The initial bite frequently cannot be felt and there may be no pain, but over time the wound may grow to as large as 25 cm (10 inches) in extreme cases. Bites usually become painful and itchy within 2 to 8 hours; pain and other local effects worsen 12 to 36 hours after the bite with the necrosis developing over the next few days.

Wiki: Brown Recluse

My brother got bit by one on his cheek (Face Lol) and it left an awful wound. Formed a scab and then a deep scar which is still a little visible after 30 or so years.

My fear of spiders comes from when my dad was stationed at Antigua working on rockets and the Tarantulas were all over the place. I was a kid but to this day I have Arachnophobia.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kellter

1) The brown recluse doesn't hang webs. Considering she was bitten on the back of the neck this is unlikely.
2) If you are bitten by a brown recluse and you are allergic to them, ignoring the bite will grant you a trip to the ER, guaranteed.

But, as an aside, most people aren't even allergic to recluse bites.

Edit - Before it is said... Allergic is a bad word. More like, If you don't have the natural antibodies to the toxin.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Hey guys, I'm from Brazil, where I live there are tons of spiders. I hate them. If I have a shotgun in my hand I don't care to make a hole in my floor just to blow the biters. I'm scared to death from this spider, in my farm is very common to find them in the house. Look how big they are, her name is Caranguejeira (Tarantula). One time I was fishing, in a very relaxing state of mind, i was very young 10 years old, and suddenly this spider passed and walked on my my leg. That was a instantaneous trauma for me.

www.youtube.com...

Here we have the deadliest spider of the world. The Wandering Spider (Aranha armadeira). Is very common to find them in banana peels in some regions of Brazil. Remember, look very careful when you buy a imported banana from Brazil because they may have spiders.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I found one on the ground yesterday.

I ran to the bathroom and got my spray and used like half a gallon of taht stuff on a spider the size of a quarter.

But it looked poisonous

[edit on 8/23/2009 by die_another_day]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I like spiders! I especially like how they look, and their representations in art.

I mean, I don't want one crawling on me really, but I've saved a few from being stepped on.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Im terrified of them,in all my 23 years i always have been and cant really remember a start point,i was just always scared from day one.

the post about them being stealthy and confrontational is spot on,they have more balls than men 100 times there size

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Yossarian

I think it's all in the mind.... a pyschological thing.... a phobia of sorts.... i used to be scared of all kinds of spiders but i've gradually got used to having them around when they get in....... noe i get a jar, catch them and then let them back out, it's a karma thing and of course a spiritual thing! It's just the big daddy long legs which i havn't got used to yet and i think it's because they move fast.... those ones i have to smash with rolled up paper or magazine or slipper!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I have a story about a spider, the yellow and black one, I call a writing spider. When my son was 6 years old, this spider had a web just outside our screened in porch. My son loved all nature!!! He would throw dead flies, bugs, and pieces of hamburger meat in her web for her to eat. She started recognizing us when we came to her web to give her food. She run out to meet us for her dinner!!
Soon, the web was in total disarray!! there was hardly any web left to put any food on! She had no real need to fix it. She quit weaving her web back every night. So I told my son to quit feedin her for a day or two and maybe she would weave it back. Well.. she did weave her web back...a very big beautiful one..... right in my kitchen!!! Attached to the frige and the cabinets.
I caught her in a jar and put her back outside. She got in on the screened in porch with another beautiful web!!! I let her stay and we fed her all summer, but not as much so she would keep her web in order. She disappeared when cold weather set in.
Now, I am not crazy about spiders either, but I have to admit, I got quite attached to this one.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This link might help you understand why it is deeply embedded into our brains not to like spiders

Spider Bite Pics !!!!! oh the horror....

[edit on 23-8-2009 by Ziltoid_the_Omniscient]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Im the kinda guy who doesnt shy away from a fight, more embrace the possibilty of being able to be a strong male who will defend myself and my friends from anything.... well almost anything! I am soo scared of spiders its insane, get me an axe wielding maniac and ill sort him out for you, bring my a spider the size of a 50pence piece and its brown trousers time for me im afraid! It the all round effect of a spider, they're quick and you never know which way they will go, whethers its away from you, or a quick speed towards you. They are also good at hiding places, and just appearing right next to you, and their webs are awful if you walk in to one and get its wrapped around your head. Yeah yeah they eat flies and all that, but 'Raid' spray, kills them aswell! I dont care how many times my mother calls me a wimp because of it, I wont go near a spider now, not ever! I hear people say its an irrational fear, but its still a fear all the same!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join