It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am the Walrus!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
John stopped by and told me he wanted me to remind you all of the spiritual messages he was trying to share with an earlier generation.

The Beatles weren't so much transcendental and spiritual until they infamously began ingesting a certain substance in their later years.

Each and every song has its own deeper messages that can be found, but the Beatles made many of theirs quite explicit in all their profundity. Here is a list of several songs from their later years with a brief comment as to its subject matter:

Across the Universe - Transcendental imagery; references to Hinduism; includes the mantra "Jai guru deva om" which roughly translates to "Victory to God divine"

All You Need is Love - Speaks for itself.

All Together Now - Contains a self-referencing pun in the chorus. Self-reference has been identified (by AI researcher Douglas Hofstadter, for example) as the identity-/ego-building function of the human mind, or the very shape of the "neuron circuit" that is the ego: that which constantly compares and contrasts in the name of this mysterious "I." Eastern meditation practices are very introspective of this self-reference, thus instructing us to self-self-reference.
Peeling back layers of ego is all about this, and realizing that we are all together and part of a special unity.

Baby You're a Rich Man - Transcendental references to spiritual wealth.

Back in the U.S.S.R. - This one isn't so much spiritual, but just the intent behind it was noble enough to be worth mentioning I thought. This was done by the Beatles during the Commie-hating paranoia of the Cold War, and was a parody of both "Back in the USA" and US pop phenomena the Beach Boys. Showing love for Soviets when no one else in the West seemed to want to.

I Me Mine - All about our sense of self, and thus inherent selfishness.

Your Mother Should Know - Opens with "Let's all get up and dance to a song that was a hit before your mother was born, though she was born a long long time ago, your mother should know." There is a famous Zen koan, that goes roughly, "Can you show me the expression on your face before your mother was born?" This song plays on that koan.

I could go on, but enough reading! Watch and listen to some of it yourself!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Its funny you bring this up. My husband and I might be going to a big halloween bash. My idea for a couple costume, is him dressed up as a giant egg. And me as a walrus.

coo coo cachooo

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
your mother should know, by the Beatles is one of my all time favorite songs.

hehe you think they have transcendental lyrics that itch at greater meaning
listen to some pink Floyd my friend.

Shine on you crazy diamond for example is a great representation of man and his ever lasting battle between self and ego.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by phi1618]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Yeah, Pink Floyd is another band you could one of these threads on. Maybe you can do that one?

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

hehe way too much work there
we are talking way too many songs to cover

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

How about Yellow Submarine???
I like all manner of great beatles tunes- this one just annoys the crap out of me!

[edit on 8/22/2009 by KRISKALI777]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

An ode to the beatles eh?

All good by me..

Hey dont forget their involvement with Mr. Crowley

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

Yeah, I know, I was just hoping to renew some interest for everyone who missed out on them.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Thought I'd just add some more of my personal favorites for the F of it.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by truthtothemasses]

top topics

join