It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kidney dialysis machine 'small enough to be worn as a belt'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Kidney dialysis machine 'small enough to be worn as a belt'

www.telegraph.co.uk

Scientists have developed a kidney dialysis machine small enough to be worn as a belt which can allow patients to receive the treatment as they walk around.

The breakthrough could potentially free thousands of patients from attending hospital every other day.
More than 25,000 people in Britain need to have regular dialysis, usually around three times a week, because their kidneys do not function properly.
Described as “small and light enough to be wearable”, the battery-powered machine weighs a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I grew up knowing a kid who needed regular kidney dialysis until his Dad was able to give him a donor. This would have changed his life a huge amount and made things much easier for him growing up. Its pretty incredible what the next generation of children will have available to them in terms of medical help.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
wow amazing!! hope this hits the us SOON!!
i take my grandmother every tues/thursday to dialysis for 4 hours...
this would be a god send to most!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
On the surface, this is excellent news for all those people who lack access to the global black-market for human organs. Those are the people who find themselves waiting to be put on the transplant list. For those of you who don't know, there is a line to get in line (at least here in America).

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
$h|t!!

Bin Laden was a few years too late....
He really woulda wanted one of these on his death bed.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
my god
my father will be so happy if this hits him

I pray to god this comes, not only comes out but soon!

my mother cant' travel anywhere with us on outings

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaskade
wow amazing!! hope this hits the us SOON!!
i take my grandmother every tues/thursday to dialysis for 4 hours...
this would be a god send to most!

What awesome news!

I always felt so bad for people who had to get dialysis, this is wonderful.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
With a diabetic husband, I have always feared that one day he may have to go through that. So this is good news for so many people!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by refuse_orders

That IS awesome! They are leaping and bounding on this stuff these days...the small NovaLung the other day and now this. It really makes me wonder where it's all coming from. I hope someday we don't need dialysis anymore, but as long as we do, this seems like progress to me. Yay technology!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
my god
my father will be so happy if this hits him

I pray to god this comes, not only comes out but soon!

my mother cant' travel anywhere with us on outings

i understand how you feel, before i donated my kidney to my dad, he was looking into one that would fit into a backpack, he would have to hook himself up to it for 15-20 minutes once an hour os so. but still, it was waaaay smaller than the dialysis machines he was using at the hosp.

MBF

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I feel like an artificial kidney could be made. Just think, a blood molecule is larger than a water molecule. If the salts and other chemicals are similarly small that are in urine, then it would just be a matter of building a plate with small enough holes for the water to go through , but not let the blood pass or allow it to stick to and form clots.

top topics

join