It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigeria rebel group to resume attacks, ends talks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Nigeria rebel group to resume attacks, ends talks

www.reuters.com

YENAGOA, Nigeria, Aug 22 (Reuters) - Nigeria's main rebel group said on Saturday it would resume attacks against Africa's biggest energy industry next month, overshadowing the surrender of hundreds of arms by rebels in a federal amnesty programme.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), responsible for attacks that have wrought havoc on the OPEC member's oil operations, said it would resume its campaign of violence on Sept. 15.

MEND, a loose coalition of militant groups, denounced the hundreds of rebels that have participated in President Umaru Yar'Adua's 60-day
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I suppose then that the Nigerian government has its work cut out for it and they're now able to better identify the core resistance and put an end to it.

It's funny...the ones that are continuing the attacks are suggesting that the ones who surrendered were in this for the money and they are the ones that are in this for freedom, but it seems to me to be the exact opposite and the ones who will continue to fight are the ones who don't like the settlement deal they'll recieve from accepting the amnesty.

I guess they'll celebrate Ramadan and then get back to the fight.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join