It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Battleship of WW2

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   
In your opinion what is the best battleship evr used i ww2
i like the bismark because of the sheer size and power of it.
What other ship could hold its own against 3 battleships?

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   
well any battle ship can hold its own against crusiers
thats what it faught but we eventually got it
the japanese made some very impressive ones
15 inch guns if i rem right

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Well 3 cruisers are still quite formiddable and lets not forget that there was aircraft involved. Anyway that ship was wonderful......fine piece of german construction(exept the rudder)

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
uss enterprise.. uss iowa... uss missouri

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I personally dig the Iowa class battleships.
9 16 inch guns
12 inch think steel armor
212,000 horsepower

more than enough to put the hurt on anyone

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
uss enterprise.. uss iowa... uss missouri

Uh, Enterprise was a carrier.

I agree that the IOWA class was the best out there at the time and kept the title until the day they were turned into musuems.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
the german battleships were amazing much better than anything in the water
but the americans were not too far behind
and the japanses actually had 1 wi 15 inch guns ready to beach her sell and be a fortress

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
and the japanses actually had 1 wi 15 inch guns ready to beach her sell and be a fortress

I think you are referring to the IJN Yamato, which had 18.1 in guns.

The Bismark was have lost in a contest against an Iowa class ship. The Iowa's could fire further and more accurately than the Bismark could have.

Face it, the American Iowa class BB was the best BB class built in the war.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

I think you are referring to the IJN Yamato, which had 18.1 in guns.

The Bismark was have lost in a contest against an Iowa class ship. The Iowa's could fire further and more accurately than the Bismark could have.

huh how? the bismark had the best trained gun crews on the water

eh u just said the japanses had 18.1 inch guns so it would be farther firing than the iowna

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   

huh how? the bismark had the best trained gun crews on the water

Well those best trained gun crews were obviously not very effective against aircraft.

eh u just said the japanses had 18.1 inch guns so it would be farther firing than the iowna

But the Americans shoot more accurately in the daytime than the Japanese. Range does you no good if your accuracy drops the further out your shoot. Plus the Yamato had weak upper armor that would have quickly given way to the 16 in AP rounds. She was less manueverable, slower, etc.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
These are americans were talking about, id be suprised if they could hit the enemy and not friendlies

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Clansman
These are americans were talking about, id be suprised if they could hit the enemy and not friendlies

And you are from where?

We seem more than able to hit enough of our enemies to win the majority of the wars we have been in.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Clansman

And you are from where?

We seem more than able to hit enough of our enemies to win the majority of the wars we have been in.

no offence cool but americas FF record latley has been let me say this pretty crap
in ww2 u guys were great i think in vietnam u guys went down hill or somein happened there likes

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   

no offence cool but americas FF record latley has been let me say this pretty crap
in ww2 u guys were great i think in vietnam u guys went down hill or somein happened there likes

Really, and you base that on what. Do you have any proof to back up your "claim?"

In actuality our record on FF has improved. That has to do with the increase in the use of PGMs, something that we did not have in quantity until Desert Storm.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
u did watch the news didnt u ?
in gulf war 1
FRIENDLY FIRE INCIDENTS:

March 22: A British Royal Air Force (RAF) Tornado jet is accidentally shot down by a US Patriot missile. The Tornado's two crew are killed.

March 24: Two British soldiers are killed when their tank is mistakenly targeted by another British tank in southern Iraq.

our tank crews need glasses

March 27: 37 US Marines are injured when US troops mistakenly fire at each other near the southern city of Nasiriyah.

March 28: A British soldier is killed and four others are injured in the region of Basra when a US A-10 ground attack aircraft fires on them.

April 2: An F-18 US fighter jet is downed, probably by a US Patriot missile. The pilot is reported missing.

April 3: A US serviceman mistaken for an Iraqi soldier is shot dead by his own troops in central Iraq.

April 6: 18 Kurdish fighters are killed and 45 wounded near Arbil in northern Iraq when US aircraft mistakenly bomb a joint US-Kurdish convoy.

According to the website of the American War Library, just over half of the coalition troops killed or injured during the 1991 Gulf War were victims of friendly fire incidents.

Of those, about 165 US casualties were due to "friendly fire" out of a total of 367 Americans who lost their lives, it said.

OTHER INCIDENTS:

March 22: A US soldier at a camp in Kuwait lobs grenades into the tents of fellow soldiers, killing two and wounding 11 others.

March 30: 15 American soldiers are injured at a military camp in northern Kuwait when a disgruntled Egyptian employee rams a truck into the group. The truck driver sustained two gunshot wounds.

us air control

tank attack
us attack on the us

see what i mean now no offence u americans are good we give u that u guys rocked in ww2
all we can say is this u need to tweak ur tech a bit or do something

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

see what i mean now no offence u americans are good we give u that u guys rocked in ww2

Well, when you get old enough feel free to join up and tell us how to do it right. We have been working to fix that problem for years. Ever hear of the Joint Tactical Radio?

Seems to me that no one else in the world puts as much effort into preventing FF than the US does.

Anyway, back to the topic. The American Iowa class BB ruled the waves during WW2.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Well, when you get old enough feel free to join up and tell us how to do it right. We have been working to fix that problem for years. Ever hear of the Joint Tactical Radio?
ever heard of any 1 using it? and iv talked to folks who have faught wi you guys and they agree
im the one who doesnt think u lot are arseholes!

Seems to me that no one else in the world puts as much effort into preventing FF than the US does.

huh? thats cause we spend months and months in training u guys dont

Anyway, back to the topic. The American Iowa class BB ruled the waves during WW2.

actually the uboat rulled the waves in ww2
but if we're talking about battleships id still say bismark and turpitz no us battleships cahllanged them in war and no 1 would

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   

but if we're talking about battleships id still say bismark and turpitz no us battleships cahllanged them in war and no 1 would

No, if you are going to talk about the ruler of the seas the honor goes to the US subs in the Pacific. They sank more tonnage than the German Navy and also sank more warships.

Turpitz was more of a heavy cruiser than a BB. The US never needed to engage them as they were destroyed before we got the chance.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   

No, if you are going to talk about the ruler of the seas the honor goes to the US subs in the Pacific. They sank more tonnage than the German Navy and also sank more warships.

what? u heard the legends of the wolf packs ?
the german navy almost ruled the atlantic and north sea

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   

what? u heard the legends of the wolf packs ?
the german navy almost ruled the atlantic and north sea

Yes, did you know it was the Americans who brought them to the highest level possible. Do some research on that before you comment further. Just look up Charles Lockwood.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join