It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Debunking Myths On Healthcare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

President Barack Obama on Saturday used his weekly address to “spend a few minutes debunking” what he called “some of the more outrageous myths” about his health care proposals. Obama began with a charge that he has only recently begun to address, denying that illegal immigrants will get health insurance under his proposals. “Illegal immigrants would not be covered,” he said. “That idea has never even been on the table.” The president then turned to what have become some of the more familiar charges, denying that there will be “death panels” to mete out end of life care and that his proposals amount to a “government takeover” of health care.

Link

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I don't know what is worse ,so-called Myths or the Propaganda coming from Mr. Obama himself.

Unless it is in the bill specifically is can't be discounted...that means abortions could be funded and illegals could be covered because they are not mentioned at all in the proposed bill. Death panels were origionally mentioned and when Sarah Palin correctly brought it up....it was dropped quickly.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by RRconservative]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think you need to be a little more transparent in your description of the tv show.when asked what the plan does for illegal immigrants ,obama responded illegals are not covered but any illegal going to the emergency room will get health care.I think it needs to be pointed out,that's one of the main problems with the system now.So when obama says they will not be covered it's the truth,but they are not covered now and get it for free.So in truth the healthcare bill not addressing illegals is ignoring one of the glaring problems of health care today.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
you know the more I read this tittle the more I think this should be moved to the HOAX section!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Unless it is in the bill specifically is can't be discounted...

So, you expect them to list every possible condition that's NOT covered???

Murder, snake handling accidents, running with scissors and daredevil motorcycle jumps are not mentioned either. Oh no!

What you're saying is ridiculous on the face of it!

Originally posted by RRconservative
illegals could be covered because they are not mentioned at all in the proposed bill.

It doesn't mention "illegals", no.
It does, however, mention that those "not lawfully present" are excluded from coverage.

Page 75:

"(g) No FEDERAL FUNDING.—Nothing in this Act
22 shall allow Federal payments for individuals who are not
23 lawfully present in the United States.

Page 100:

"(2) ELIGIBLE INDIVIDUAL.—The term 'eligible
13 individual' means an individual who is—
14 "(A) a citizen or national of the United
15 States or an alien lawfully admitted to the
16 United States for permanent residence or an
17 alien lawfully present in the United States;

HB3200

[edit on 22-8-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
It doesn't mention "illegals", no.
It does, however, mention that those "not lawfully present" are excluded from coverage.

Page 75:

"(g) No FEDERAL FUNDING.—Nothing in this Act
22 shall allow Federal payments for individuals who are not
23 lawfully present in the United States.

This is what I'm curious about. True, no federal funding. However, there still exists a problem.

A lot hospitals are required by law to treat [stabilize] all patients. A lot of illegal immigrants treat ER's like a free clinic instead of an emergency medical facility. By law, the ER's are required to take them. However, although the government mandates they help them (for serious or minor), the government does not always reimburse the hospitals for treatment.

This is why many hospitals in immigrant hot spots are going bankrupt. They cannot afford to treat people they are forced to treat for free.

My question is, is the health care bill proposing anything to resolve this? Is there anything in this bill that will no longer force hospitals to treat illegals? If so, great. If not, will the illegal immigrant situation really be improved at all it they will still be treated but not under 'federal funding?'

Honest question.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

It doesn't mention "illegals", no. It does, however, mention that those "not lawfully present" are excluded from coverage.
exactly right they won't be covered but they will still get health care(free I might add) but see how you are appeased by the wording?come on ,you have got to be Smarter than that friend or we are all in trouble!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Thank you,it always seems when a mod explains the obvious it some how becomes more clear. In regards to your query;

My question is, is the health care bill proposing anything to resolve this? Is there anything in this bill that will no longer force hospitals to treat illegals?
obama said they would still be forced to treat them,so in effect no!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
My question is, is the health care bill proposing anything to resolve this? Is there anything in this bill that will no longer force hospitals to treat illegals?

No. The health insurance bill is not in existence to deal with current illegal immigration issues. At all. That has never been its purpose. Neither does it deal with people breaking the law in any other area. It doesn't deal with people who drive without insurance or people who take drugs illegally or rob stores or drink and drive. Its purpose is to make available affordable health insurance for Americans who can't afford health insurance now.

If not, will the illegal immigrant situation really be improved at all it they will still be treated but not under 'federal funding?'

As I said, the purpose of this bill has NEVER been to improve the illegal immigration issue. This is a health insurance bill for people lawfully in the US. I don't know where people got the idea that it is supposed to have ANYTHING to do with illegal immigration.
Where did this idea come from?

[edit on 22-8-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Because medical treatment for illegal aliens costs the tax payer billions of dollars. With all the problems the government is trying to fix with our broken health care system, one would think they'd be doing something to address such a problematic issue.

But that's not all. Under the new system, American tax payers will still be paying for it and will now be required to carry insurance. However, illegal aliens aren't going to be following this at all or carrying insurance. They'll still be getting treated for free.

Do you see the problem with that? So I'm curious as to why the government is mandating things for legal, tax paying citizens but still placing the burden on hospitals to treat illegals for free.

No they don't have to address the illegal immigration problems in the bill but with it being such a massive problem, I'm wondering why they aren't.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I find that quote from Obama very disturbing.

“Illegal immigrants would not be covered,”

See, is just a joke that Obama is playing on the people, because actually illegal immigrants are not covered right now under present bills, but don't tell Obama that they are getting health care regardless, to the point that is a fact they are bankrupting hospitals in the nation.

So guess what, Obama may say anything he wants but that doesn't means it applies.

So in other words, "illegals immigrants would not be covered, but that doesn't mean they will not be treated as usual". Now that sounds more honest.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Ashley, I agree that illegal immigration and the strain on the US economy that it causes are a problem. I agree that it must be addressed. But this bill does not address it. I understand that you think it should. I think it would be a good idea, too. But what would be the answer?

Should we stop treating people who come to the hospital needing help? The problem of illegal immigration and the strain on the US economy is a much larger problem than health insurance.

Just because some people think this bill SHOULD address illegal immigrants' health care doesn't mean anything, really. We're already paying for this healthcare for illegal immigrants. It would be NICE to deal with it somehow. But the only way to deal with it is to send them all back to where they came from.
A health care bill isn't going to do that.

What would you like to see in the health insurance bill to address illegal immigrants getting free health care? I'd like to know what people expect.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
“Illegal immigrants would not be covered,”

If you listen to the video, he states:

The false claim: Illegal Immigrants will get health care UNDER REFORM.
The truth: Illegal immigrants would not be covered (under reform).

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

It doesn't matter BH, no anymore, we don't have a voice when it comes to illegal immigrants in the nation or a voice on anything else.

The health care bill will pass and so Illegals will still be getting their care as usual, more hospitals will banckrupt specially private run ones and life will go on.

So nothing more to see here.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
It still never ceases to amaze me when I read these threads. People bring up a tiny piece of the proposed reform, then go out to left field with it and call it unamerican.

What really gets me is the fact that this would benefit everybody, yet you let yourselves be played as a pawn to the corporate players that stand to lose out from screwing you over every day. Weather you realize it or not, we already have nationalized healthcare, and though it may not be perfect, it is much better than what is offered in the private sector for the most part.

Your congressmen have public healthcare, veterans have public healthcare, seniors have access to public healthcare. So why is it that when the costs of insurance have outpaced the increase in wages people say "No public healthcare!" ... or "The death panels will kill grandma!".. it's due to the lack of critical thinking and the ability to read.. take it for what its worth.

I made a damn good living last year, but due to the economy I was laid off along with 600 other engineers. I immediately lost my health insurance and went on unemployment, sure they offer COBRA, but its more than 50% of my UI a month, how is that affordable, fair, and right???

People need to stop being blind pawns, and wake up, look at the rest of the world, actually READ the bill and not some out of context snippets sent to you by Fox news, and do what is right for them for a change.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Speedtek

you should take the time and do the research before making statements such as this.Your opinion practically contradicts itself.Let me ask you if everyone gets government healthcare who pray tell do you think is going to pay for it?Do you think the people who created or perpetuate the economy that laid you off should be in charge of your healthcare?And by the way has anyone in government said how they're going to pay for this?I'd like to buy the world a coke and keep it company.............it's a beautiful sentiment but some one has to pay for that coke and they're going to have a hard time doing it unless company keeping is paying real well.

top topics

join