It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riot in Kentucky Prison

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Riot in Kentucky Prison

news.yahoo.com

BURGIN, Ky. – Rioting inmates set fire to trash cans and other items inside a central Kentucky prison, and damage to some buildings was so extensive that officials were busing many of the facility's 1,200 prisoners elsewhere, police said Saturday.

By early morning, firefighters had extinguished the fires at the medium-security Northpoint Training Center in a rural area 30 miles south of Lexington, state police Lt. David Jude said.

Eight inmates were treated for minor injuries, and eight staff were also injured in the melee, although none of the employees were admitted to the hospital,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Maybe this is a sign of the second American revolution. The people who will be the first to revolt will not be conspiracy theorists but actual crazy people with no jobs, no family, no money, no ID, no anything but the clothing on their backs, and hopefully not anything us like a gun. I also think this will happen much more apparently in the north where there are a lot of crazy people to begin with. I'm not saying this was completely politically motivated, and a conspiracy or anything, but I'm willing to bet many of those inmates have serious problems with the government right now, especially in this political climate. The psychology of the inmates perhaps snapped, which is what we have been seeing with military veterans. I hope we remember why we are having a revolution, to free our minds from the institutionalized prison cell they call our SSN #. Breaking free of the matrix does not involve a gun or a weapon, it involves the mind, and the will to see the higher truth. To understand life is to beat it, and so long as you keep your heart free of hatred, you will actually enjoy the journey ahead of you. It's a long journey, so much longer than we can possibly imagine, and the only way we can really experience it is by understanding its great depth of existence and character.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ancient_wisdom

You said : Maybe this is a sign of the second American revolution.

I don't think it so much this as a sign of a disappearing tax-base causing big-time budgetary problems for instituions like schools and jails.

The number of prison riots does definately seem to be on the upswing.

My read on the why of it is that with no money for adding capacity to the system, more and more offenders are being crowded in. As funding for existing programs continues to dry up, inmates find themselves with steadily worsening conditions on the inside. Frustration and aggression builds up more and more in these individuals who are prone to violence already until there is the 'last straw' which 'breaks the camels back' resulting in the mayhem and destruction of a prison riot ...

On the other hand, what you say does have merit in that these rioting inmates may very well be the 'canary in the coal mine', so to speak, with regard to the regular civilian population ... as social conditions at large continue to deteriorate due to the same loss of tax-base ( revenue ), it is reasonable to imagine there will indeed come a day when there is a 'last straw' for the common masses as well.

As it is, I think most of us are feeling the 'walls closing in' already ...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

This mess is going on about an hour away from where I live. Last night there were rumors of escapees and many local residents were terrified. I was actually outside sky watching when I got the news that prisoners had escaped during a riot and immediately came inside and looked it up. Of course, there were no escapees but many people around here are still paranoid.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I have visited a family member at that prison twice within the last few years. Thankfully he was transferred recently to another facility in Kentucky but, I was scared to death when I saw on CNN this morning that a riot had broke out.

This is my understanding: On Tuesday, a racially motivated fight erupted between 10 - 15 hispanic, 1-2 black and 1-2 white inmates. As a result of the fight, they locked down the facility and the inmates were basically stuck in their cells.

Apparently on Friday, an announcement was made that the lockdown would remain in place with limited exceptions and well, I suppose a lot of the inmates weren't too happy about it.

While my family member was an inmate there he told me that the conditions were getting worse and worse. They have contracted with Aramark and I guess ever since, the food had gotten even more terrible and they started enormously raising the costs of canteen goods.

I was also told that Aramark is only required to give them a certain amount of calories per day (I'm assuming it a healthy calorie amount) But, nothing more. So, if they want extra calories, they have to purchase food from the canteen to supplement. Obviously that didn't go over to well.

I actually talked to him a little while ago and apparently they have already sent some of the inmates from NorthPoint to the facility where he is.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

I live about 20 minutes drive from Northpoint. There's rarely any trouble there. Heck, inmates are even allowed to walk down to the lake to go fishing. In fact, it was inmates who were fishing that witnessed the Harrodsburg doctor when he pushed his wife off their boat and then ran over her, killing her, earlier this year.

They are a bit short of guards at this state run prison right now. I wonder what got these inmates all worked up? One of my daughters signed up for the training classes Northpoint offers for people interested in becoming state prison guards. This riot hasn't changed her plans. She will, if she passes the courses, be assigned to third shift. Who better to guard than sleeping prisoners?

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Casiopia

Thanks for the update concerning how all this came about. I figured it was gang related. I haven't heard much about this entire incident, since I rarely come out of the woods to socialize and get my news late during my rare visits to town.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

No problem. I suppose this type of incident just really strikes a cord with me since I have a very close family member that is in the correctional system.

I know from his stories and descriptions of what it's like on the inside that racial tension is an everyday issue. It's frightening to think of how intense it must be in such a confined and restricted environment.

At least on the outside we have the will and ability to seek safety whenever we feel a need. Not so much the case on the inside.

Last week when the reports of the prison riots in California broke, i just remember thinking, "God, I hope that doesn't happen where my brother is." I have to say that it is a little scary that he was an inmate at NorthPoint just a few months ago.

I am soooooo glad that he only has 39 more days left on his sentence.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Is that really true? I have heard that things are a bit off there as far as medical services and such but, that is really crazy. Where did you hear that?

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Sorry, misread your post and thought you were saying that it was a prison doctor that did that to his wife. My Bad.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
What happens in prisons is a reflection of the people running the prison and the society in which they live.

I don't know about any revolution, but human beings can only be pushed so far until they revolt against their keepers. As long as grocery stores are open and people can stay warm & dry in the U.S. - there will be no revolution.

The biggest excuse prison officials have is their budgets, but the truth is their way of getting bigger budgets is putting pressure on inmates by taking away things such as lowering the grade or quantity of food, making access to health care or dental care more difficult, making access to showers or exercise yards, library's or classes more difficult citing not enough staff available etc. Eventually that results in fights & riots.

That is exactly what happened at that prison - there were fights - as there will always be in such a situation. The way prison officials & staff responded to the situation resulted in an all out riot.

Of course there are bad guys in prisons, so it's easy to just blame them - even though it just boils down to mismanagement.

Corrections is one of the biggest waste of taxpayer dollars their is in the U.S. and they waste more money than any other government entity other than the defense industry. They milk the taxpayers for $10 a day or so for food for each inmate, yet they serve 35 cent meals. And so it goes for everything else they do. The charge all kinds of money to the taxpayers for their fancy phone systems and then the charge the inmates families anywhere from 2-10 dollars a minute for phone calls. (Believe me I know - I had an ex-girlfriend call me from jail in Portland Oregon and the bill was $26 for a less than 10 minute call) Where does the money go? To shell long distance phone companies created by staffers, ex-staffers or their pals who pay them off to the tune of millions of dollars per prison. Oh yeah, and the so called big problem with cell phones is not prison security, but the elimination of competition for their outrageous phone profiteering scam. Same goes for food contracts and the rest - ex staffers selling often contaminated or past date food at 10 times the market value to the prison systems.

It does seem that they are trying to make the U.S. like one big prison with controlled movements and such. You can't ride a commercial aircraft without being subject to intimidation & humiliation. The border Patrol and some police agencies want to put check points up, so you can't go to work school or the grocery store without an encounter where your documents must be proven to be in order or you will be fined or possibly arrested.

When I can't move freely about anymore then I will have no choice but to take it out on those who are there to stop me from moving about.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm against A LOT of things when it comes to our justice system and our prison system. I think we as Americans are the biggest bunch of hypocrites. We incarcerate more people than any other nation in proportion to our population. And how many of those are nonviolent drug offenders?

BUT and this is a big BUT.......PRISON ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE FRICKING COMFORTALBE!!!!!!!!!! If you're a violent criminal responsible for raping, killing, assaulting, molesting, etc. YOU SHOULD BE LIVING IN A SEWER IN MY OPINION WHERE YOU WORK IN BELOW FREEZING OR DESERT LIKE CONDITIONS DIGGING DITCHES! Americans wonder why we have so much crime and so many people in prisons. I know prison is bad. But it's bad for different reasons than being tough. If these morons in prison were out doing physical labor all day they wouldn't have time to have race riots and what not. They wouldn't be bitching about the canteen and snacks. They'd be happy they are even fed three square meals. Our country has gone completely soft. While we let homosexual acts and other type of bs run rampant in our prisons the prisoners sit there and live in luxury. I mean there are kids in Africa that drink piss from cows and eat clay pies to survive. F THESE PRISONERS! At least the violent ones. I say we should throw all our violent, evil, unrehabilitable scum on an island and let them fend for themselves for food, clothing, shelter. The blacks, whites, hispanics, would either die fighting each other or lean to help each other survive. And if they got too advanced well we go in and destroy everything and they'd have to start over. Prison nowadays is a complete and utter failure and its existence is for purely financial gain.

Any Deadwood fans on here? Watch the first episode! Prisoners should be happy they aren't hanged nowadays.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

I cannot agree with you more. I don't want to say too much about this topic b/c I 'm sure it will lead to major attacks from many posters.

However, until you have had a loved one imprisoned and until you have had to visit that loved one behind bars and then turn around, walk away, and leave them all alone in that kind of environment...no one can understand the gut wrentching pain that is involved. It is brutal.

I am in NO way saying that someone who commits a crime should not be punished but it is a tradgedy to see someone be punished beyond what they deserve b/c they cannot afford adequate legal representation. That is the saddest thing about our judicial system. Money and political clout CAN and DOES buy freedom. If you possess neither one then well, you are just screwed and then sucked into the system. Once you are in the system.........good luck escaping it.

The worst thing about it all is that the inmates do truly come out armed with even more criminal knowledge....there is absolutely NO REHABILIATION! None! So, what are the tax payers really paying for?

They are paying for education but, not the kind I imagine they are thinking about.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

You're right about a lot of things. And drug offenders and non-violent criminals shouldn't even be in prison on my opinion. The prison system is just one big ponzi scheme making corporations and individuals VERY wealthy. I really don't care if some guy that murdered his girlfriend, killed his parents, or killed some innocent citizen is eating # for dinner and sleeping on concrete. He in my opinion is lucky to be alive. However, not everyone deserves that type of punishment and like everything in our government a majority of our prison system and justice system is corrupt.

Scott Peterson is a perfect example. That guy should be eating maggots three times a day and digging ditches with his hands 12 hours a day.

BRING BACK THE CHAIN GANGS and Guards on horseback with shotguns.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

There's no doubt it would be easier to kill many of them, but how many of them actually deserve death - probably less than 10%. Remember more than half of them are in Prison for using drugs or offenses done in order to obtain drugs because we've made drugs 10-20 times more expensive by prohibiting them.

If we aren't going to kill people than we have the responsibility of housing them and treating them respect and dignity, along with educating them, so when they come out they'll have the opportunity treat the rest of us with respect. Otherwise how else would they learn if they were not shown?

The idea that you beat and abuse a stupid dog because he had bad owners and then expect him to become a family pet is absurd. You get back exactly what you put into them - do it right or why bother.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Like you I know someone in prison on nonviolent drug charges and the stories I hear are crazy. The US is #ed up! I'm tired of our government and the injustice that goes on. I'm almost disgusted to say land of the free and home of the brave. Our country is FAR FROM SUCH! And to see all these dumb troops going over to fight for a fraud. America hit its peak well over 100 years ago as far as freedom.

Like I said. Just watch Deadwood and study the old west. The government was tyrannical and corrupt ever since its inception. The Found Fathers were duped!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I agree with much of what you say.
Violent criminals are definately an expception to the rule in my opinion.

But how many inmates are non-violent offenders placed into an environment saturated with the violent offenders.

What chance do they have in that environment. What choice do they have for survival unless they adapt to the environment they are forced into.

What about the inmates that have been falsely imprisoned? Are they still viewed in the same manner when they become a product of their environment.
There are too many unknowns and too many variables to label them all under the same stereotype

I really do agree with you....I just seem to have gone on my own little rant.

Sorry for that. It is just a very sensitive issue for me and it was nice to read someone elses opinion that struck a similiar cord.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Like I said I'm not advocating rounding up and killing prisoners. I'm not even sure I personally believe in the death penalty. However I believe in punishment and sitting around complaining about food and calories and what not is silly. Criminals should be doing hard labor. They should be so tired at the end of the day that all they want to do is sleep. Either that or they are going to sit in a classroom and be forced to take classes and educate themselves. Or hell if they don't want to do either they can exercise all day. Make them run a mile, do push ups, lift weights whatever.

And let's not pretend drugs is the root of all evil in our society. That's a cop out and an excuse. Yes drugs are a huge problem but I'm not going to feel sorry for every gang banger and murderer because they needed a fix. Sorry!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

BRING BACK THE CHAIN GANGS and Guards on horseback with shotguns.

I wholeheartedly agree and so do some prison officials & prisoners, but believe it or not it's hard to do for many reasons. Local businesses and labor unions cite unfair competition to prison labor - Prisons could provide 10 men for the price of one road construction laborer. Then some cite it is akin to slavery as you put enough people in prison & you have a road crew to do you work. I'm certain however that most prisoners would rather work than lay around and do nothing. You'd think that we could just have them clean things up and get things done that haven't been budgeted for, but things are not so simple these days -everything has red tape. Alas it will never happen - large scale anyhow.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

No you're exactly right! There needs to be different prisons serving different prison populations. Putting nonviolent drug offenders in with hardened violent murderers, rapists etc. is suicide.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join