It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shriners guys are good in my book

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
For years at my job we have always had a group of guys come in known as the "Shriners." They come in twice a year and are always a blast. Certain girls get pinned with individual pins each guy has that is related to their name. (I have tons) They have always liked me because they say I am smart, very outgoing and they think I am funny
Well I didnt really know who they were until I read ATS and put two and two together. I had no idea they were all masons and how Shriners began. All I knew about Shriners was the hospital in FL where a few of the kids I worked with in the past basically had their lives saved. I had no idea the two were involved. I read on some post about Shriners and then forgot all about it until they all came in the other day. I must say they are the nicest guys I have ever met when it comes to groups of people coming in. I asked one of the guys in charge of the group about Shriners and Masons and he was surprised that I even knew a little bit but he was very nice and explained it all to me. We sat there for over an hour and talked about everything Mason/Shriner. It was actually a really nice conversation. I asked him about the book "Morals and Dogma" (which I am reading) and he was surprised I even had the book. He said it is a good read and if I had questions all I had to do was ask. I see a lot of people on here accuse these groups of being evil well, if helping kids and families in need is evil then we are in trouble. I have known this particular group of guys for 4 years and only recently put two and two together basically. They have always been very polite and always a ball of fun! They all seem to be very friendly and open to meeting new people. They all also seem like one big family as well. I have hung out with them in the past and again they were always very pleasant.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Yes and i am glad to call myself a Shriner. All of the Shriners hospitals are free of charge to any child under the age of 18. it doesn't matter what the diagnosis or issue is. We have sent two daughters of a couple masons in my lodge to the Shriners hospital in which they were able to get the necessary back surgery they needed...free. Sad to say but there are talks of cut backs and maybe even closures of some of those hospitals.

When i get older i have already put in my petition to join the "Tin Lizzie's" club. Those are the awesome Shriner's that drive around in those small cars at parades and what not.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bushidomason

Yup I think I know some of them, the Tin Lizzie guys... Do they wear these really odd shaped red hats? I dont know how else to say it sorry...One of them gave me some medallion last year..He liked the fact I smoked cigars and that I brought him some cubans and other good quality ones the next day. Every time they come I am ready to hang and I am running out of places to put my pins! LOL! They are all leaving tomorrow but will be back again next year like clockwork
which is fine by me.

Yeah I worked at an Elementary School for about 3 years and I worked with multi-ve (varying exceptionalities) and many of the kids I worked with went to Shriners hospitals. Two kids I worked with if it wasnt for Shriners hospitals they wouldnt be here today. Every time these guys come in I thank them for what they do because IMO its wonderful!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
At last, a positive thread.
A friend of mine's father was a Shriner.
They did a lot of great work for the community where we lived.
The would have fundraisers left and right, that the entire family would participate in, of course I used to tag along.

I just can't get the picture out of my head since reading this thread, of the episode of the Animaniacs, riding around in liitle cars with the Shriner hats on.

I digress.
KUDOS!!!
*~

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I dated a girl from school whose father was a shriner and I guess also dressed up as a clown for the kids?
His daughter was basically a good person who wanted me to quit smoking and was likely the best choice I could have made. I still owe her an apology and hope she is well.

I also recall these people tried to help me quit smoking and I refused. I was a young and crazy nicotene addict and wouldn't budge. So many regrets. I've quit a few times already and hopefully the last time was about 5 years ago.

Yep, good people.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yes those are Fez's. They all say something different as in to which Shrine you belong to. I belong to Al Bahr here in San Diego.

There are many different groups within the Shrine that a Shriner can join. Tin Lizzies is one of them and there are the Clowns. The Clowns dress up like....Clowns and go to events usually with children. They visit the hospitals and what not to cheer up the kids and always try to be funny. I know a couple Clowns and they are really good people.

There is just not enough good things to say about the Shrine. The one thing that the Shrine hospital is doing in L.A is going down to Mexico to get the homeless and sick children and bringing them across (with a visa of course...not illegally) and getting them the necessary treatment they need. I hope that these hospitals can stay alive, its tough during these times right now. Try running a complete hospital that doesn't accept money.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Can anyone enlighten me to The Shriners, i'm not sure but i don't think they are in the UK.

Do you have to be a Mason to be a Shriner?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by adama1

Here you are. Looks like you do have to be a Mason, but the Shrine is a North American thing.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

THANK YOU!

Not a one-liner, because it was a direct response to the OP, and as a Shriner, I greatly appreciate the information shared!

To answer adama1, yes you have to be a Mason to be a Shriner. At least for now, there is some talk of changing it, but I hope they never do!

www.shrinershq.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

My Temple:
www.nettally.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I have to say Shriners have done outstanding work for very sick kids. Now if they could get rid of the funny hats.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
How about one of our esteemed shriners give a little history about how the Shrine came about. I have heard a bit of the story, and would like to hear the whole thing. I plan on joining the Shrine, in fact that was the main reason I baceame a mason, but I now plan to finish the charis in the blue lodge before joining.

Thanks OP for starting a positive thread!

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I owe the Shriners a debt of gratitude myself. As a child, I had some seriously flat feet, and since we were poor, my Mom took me to their hospital 200 miles away once a year until I was 16 or so. They would check my feet, take x-rays, prescribe corrective shoes and exercises for me to do.

This was AFTER a local doctor told my Mom that they needed to do surgery, remove bone from somewhere else in my body and fuse it into my feet to correct the problem, and I would probably never be able to run, and would most likely would walk funny the rest of my life.

Thanks, Shriners, for the second opinion, and all the time you spent helping me, and others like me.

I can now run like the wind, and I don't leave duck-foot prints around the pool anymore.

I love you guys!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

Funny you mention that, I smoke and they always take my cigarettes from me : ) I usually dont smoke when they are around. I respect that they dont like it and I can do without.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by adama1

From what they told me yes you have to be a Mason to be in the Shrine(rs). I got a nice history lesson from them. Too bad I didnt have a notebook with me

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You are welcome : ) Like I said I have known these guys for years and only through ATS put two and two together. It was funny because the guy in charge of their group and I were talking about Secret Societies for about an hour and he was surprised at what I knew. He said it looks like someone has done their reading : ) I told him about this site and that it is where I get most information on anything. He says it sounds like a pretty informative site and asked for the web address so he can check it out. I know he would love this site, just because I know what he likes to talk about : )

Now I have a question for you. Do all Shriners guys have nicknames they go by?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
From what they told me yes you have to be a Mason to be in the Shrine(rs). I got a nice history lesson from them. Too bad I didnt have a notebook with me

This is indeed true. All Shriners are Masons. Although not all Masons are Shriners.

new topics

top topics

join