It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigerian militants give up weapons to police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Nigerian militants give up weapons to police

news.yahoo.com

YENAGOA, Nigeria – A top militant commander and his followers in Nigeria's oil-rich Delta region on Saturday surrendered rocket launchers, gunboats, guns and bullets in the biggest hand-over of weapons since a government amnesty began two weeks ago.

Nearly 600 militants danced and cheered as they handed over their weapons in torrential rains to police and officials in Yenagoa, the capital of Bayelsa state.

Ebikabowei "Boyloaf" Victor Ben, state commander for the region's biggest armed group, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, and 25 commanders under his leadershi
(visit the link for the full news article)

Good Link

[edit on 8/22/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Such a heartwarming story...such forsight and wisdom shown by those young men in Nigeria. There comes a time when weapons are useless...when the strength of the forces they are up against are recognized to transcend human comprehension.

If there truely exists some basis of this conflict...it is now recognized that Mao was wrong...its resolution will not proceed from the barrel of a gun. But through dialouge and good faith. This should be an example for the Jihadis. They should learn from this.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by IDK88

It is a good thing, of course.

However..................

Lets be clear, they are turning in their weapons because Nigeria is tracking them down and killing them, just like their leader.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Tracking them down and killing them...yes that it how it works. The Mongols were very compassionate to the cities and villages that willing surrendered without a fight, but ruthlessly smote all resistance.

It's always better if they just give up. They can open a small business or learn a trade. Or they can choose the alternative...free will.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
this story reminds me of a line from the movie "Shooter"

the Russian character is talking about Nigerian villages.

"They would go in and kill everyone and everything who did not want to leave, that way they would not have to ask the next village"

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by IDK88

Mind you......

I am not saying I agree with that, just it is the fact's of this issue.

I firmly believe that they see it as turn in weapons and "play nicely" or die.

top topics

join