It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greek forest fire rages near Athens, burns homes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Greek forest fire rages near Athens, burns homes

www.reuters.com

ATHENS, Aug 22 (Reuters) - A large forest fire raged out of control on the northeastern outskirts of Athens on Saturday, sending thick clouds of smoke over the Greek capital, damaging homes and threatening three villages.

Fanned by strong winds, the fire broke out late Friday in the village of Grammatiko, about 40 km (25 miles) northeast of the Greek capital, and spread to residential areas overnight, the fire brigade said.

Nine aircraft, five helicopters, 35 fire engines and 151 firefighters
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.skai.gr

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
It is a very hard reality to face.

Greece in fire again with people being quite hopeless due to the government being inactive, without mitigating tools.
One would think that by now the necessary means to battle such catastrophes would be in place... Unfortunatelly not.

TV channels and crews are frantic and panic at the situation right now.

A new nightmare unfolding.

People are really scared tense and freaking out at the situation.
The news wich are on a steady course from plenty of channels and there is people complaining and pledging for help constantly.

www.skai.gr... is the site address of a channel with the most environmental sensitivity doing the best job of covering it all. They have helicopters in place showing the reality of things.
Moreover at the website its the first line news. A little search might yield a live feed too, but that might not necessarily be the case.
Godspeed to all.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I found the live feed for all interested:

www.skai.gr...

Its really sad sight...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
All can see the catastroph now...
As i am and was watching the day has turned to night from the fumes im many areas.
[edit to add]

Houses continously being burned, people in much danger.

The live feed has a delay of less than five seconds.

[edit on 22/8/2009 by GEORGETHEGREEK]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
One guy stayed in his house to be burned along with his property.
People are stretched beyond their limits and some are standing in vanity.
The guy was vey lucky. He was in one of ten houses saved by two helicopters.
Hopefully the will be no or minimal tolls...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
People crying out for help constantly...

Just watch and listen to the voices in distress.
The quantity of smoke and wind can be clearly seen.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
New instances of fire constantly spreading.
Some of them are becoming huge in a matter of minutes.
I am out of words for it...
Only by watching the live feed can one realise the magnitude of the catastrophe unfolding.

Weather is very windy at most places of the fire right now.
Bear in mind that the fire has covered a very wide area with multiple instances...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
See, this is why the use of chemtrail to create rain dont add up, cause they would make it rain there ..

Unless they made it so it will not rain so the fire can burn burn burn..

I saw a while back on the weather on bbc I think it was, it looked like Europa on Fire..

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
May God protect my Greek brothers

Let's hope that wind will cease, wind is what makes thing get worse in these cases, if it stops then everything will be easier to be handled.
Please keep us updated George.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by internos
May God protect my Greek brothers

Let's hope that wind will cease, wind is what makes thing get worse in these cases, if it stops then everything will be easier to be handled.
Please keep us updated George.

Yes, May God protect all from disastrous catestrophies!
There is enough of that in the world at the moment,we need not any more!

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Sorry but if god existed he would have extinguish the fire.

It is a shame that after what happened before the government didn't upgrade his fire rescue teams, now they can bite their finger.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Well, I just came from a holiday with family in Athens 2 days ago, just before the fire. Got in touch with them today after reading this thread and it seems that there is more to the story.

I am not able to back this info up with factual evidence but rumor goes that this fire was in fact deliberately set because of construction plans in that neighbourhood. The fires of 2007 were quite the same, on the exact places the fires raged, construction plans and contracts were allready made. Construction started months after the fires.

It seems that building plans and contracts are allready made for the region that is affected this time. Again, i cannot back this claim up with evidence but it is the rumor on the street in Greece. For my Greek relatives it is a quite common occurrence and backed up by patterns. Whenever and where ever a forestfire starts, not soon after construction starts there.

It's easier and cheaper to burn the place down than to take the trees down mechanically.

Any thoughts on this angle?

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BazzeMan

Thank you for sharing this, regarding it to be proven real or not, we will see, since you have been so fair to clarify that there was not corroborating proof to the story: this is how everyone should behave on ATS, hat on, BazzeMan.
SADLY, i can tell you that it has happened many times here, where i live, and besides our (mediterrean) vegetation is not very easy to be set spontaneously on fire. 99% of fires here are man made
I wonder who can be so evil to do something like that to Greece.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BazzeMan

This is a long standing problem in Greece of criminals starting forest fires to clear trees for residential construction. They start small local fires which end up torching entire regions. This is mostly due to a combination of the understandably restrictive building laws on forest land combined with archaic squatting laws that enable people to use this land after it's been torched.

In the villages and towns now pervades a blanket of mistrust where people are looking at each other and strangers with a permanent suspicious and/or accusatory attitude.

These thugs are rarely caught and they are charged with murder if people die ...

But the promise of profit makes it worth the risk ... and in the meantime every summer Greece burns.

We are by far one of the most self destructive cultures out there. We have a stunningly beautiful country and all we do is burn it.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
We have a stunningly beautiful country and all we do is burn it.

YOU are the country which started culture, including politics, astronomy, physics, chemistry and a LOT of stuff that was so advanced that still someone is unable to get it. If you touch Italy then you hurt me, but if you touch Greece then you hurt me twice. So basically we're in front of some people trying to get any benefit by burning forests? I REFUSE to believe that such people exist, and IF they do exist, then they don't deserve to live

[edit on 22/8/2009 by internos]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by internos

So basically we're in front of some people trying to get any benefit by burning forests?

Yes, they are armed with greed, short sighted stupidity, a little gasoline, and a match.

Amazing that it takes so little to self-destruct.

I REFUSE to believe that such people exist

It is hard to fathom isn't it?

Argh, it drives us to such anger, frustration, and sadness.

God help these bastards when the locals find them before the police does.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Thanks for all of your input on this view.

Well, if you ever been to Greece mainland (and Athens particularly) you would know this government is all about greed and does not care about it's residents and constituents. All that follows is just plain old criminal politics.

It really makes me sad, especially because this is the place where (allegedly) modern civilisation came to pass.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Take a look at what is happening:

All this because a couple of low life degenerates.

The fire has now travelled more than 40km into the Athens suburbs.

www.reuters.com...

[edit on 23 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

The live feed GEORGE provided is still on btw ... www.skai.gr...

Just turn the sound off if you don't speak Greek.

I wish you could understand it ...

They're saying that in some places the water's out, the cops have abandoned them, the wind is whipping, and people's homes and lives are burning right before their eyes.

[edit on 23 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Thanks for posting the links -- the scope of these fires is overwhelming. My heart goes out to the people of Athens.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join