It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A different view on reincarnation.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Hello all and welcome.

Reincarnation has always interested me. I often tried to relate it to a past soul that entered in a new life. Now i may have another view that could explain it. Not long ago I read where biologists are thinking that memory is stored in our dna. Now if they are right then maybe memory could be past on genetically also. As to what would release those memories i have no idea. Any insight on this new thought?

I would appreciate any help with it. Thx in advance.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Your aproach to this issue is wrong.
Some ten years ago I was atheist convinced in only things you could messure by sience. Like you I had interesst in reincarnation and begun to read hindu scriptures like the Bhagavad Gita.
Some will argue there is where I lost my mind ha ha ha. Well the Vedas beside the Egyptian traditions are the source of the reincarnation beliefsystem.

The point is that beside the matter the soul is eternal and cant by cut shoot burn or dryed up. It is transedental to this material World you know.
And your next body you will atain and you decide what it will by by your actions and behaivor. In the Vedas it is explained that you atain the body of that lifeform you constant meditate upon.
If you only think in your girlfriend constantly, in the next life you will achieve a simelar body like her. Ha Ha Ha yes.

If you are a ancient civilization freak you may get a life in the past and you may die there again and later reincarnate in a other planet by chance anyway from a spiritual point of view Time is not linear.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

Hi
Sorry I can't help but I was wondering why you're interested in reincarnation.
I don't see the point. How does knowing about the past affect you? I think that there's a reason that we don't have any memory of our past lives, we're either not supposed to so that it doesn't interfere with our decisions and and identity in this life or we're supposed to find out by reaching a higher level of consciousness first. No offense but is it just a vanity thing? I know some people are just into reincarnation because they are so dissatisfied with their lives or feel so insignificant that they would like to believe that they were once something greater. Hope this isn't too off topic.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Karmayogi11

But just from a scientific standpoint, do you not believe that dna memory could explain a lot?

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Petchy29

Well I am not obsessed with it, but i have thought about it. After reading what the biologist said it got me thinking...thats all.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Petchy29

To answer the other question, there are a lot of people who say they can remember their past lives. So somehow they are tapping into those memories. All i am saying is that this could be a possible answer for reincarnation.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Memory is not stored in DNA. What is stored in DNA is our evolutionary history in the form of the changes it has wrought in the genotype - a rather abstract idea.

The idea of 'DNA memory' must be some New Age misunderstanding of this. It is rather obviously false, as anyone whose parents are still alive, or who has children, should be able to see at a glance.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

www.americanchronicle.com...

This link may help.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Another one here.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by Conclusion]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Thats interesting...

It kind of explains my question about "reincarnation"...

Which is..If everyone always incarnates into someone else how does the population grow?

how do new souls begin?

that is my basic question regarding reincarnation...

If memory is pased on by dna, it would explain alot i believe...

theres a song that says something along the lines of:

"a good friend once told me..
we are all memories...
without them we equal nothing"

- Avenged Sevenfold

Thought it was purty good...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

The Huffington Post link gives a 404.

The other article is speculative, sensationalist garbage.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Research into the nature of DNA has revealed that this material within each cell of our bodies has important implications for who each one of us is, on many levels.

In addition to determining our physical characteristics, our vulnerabilities to certain diseases, and maybe even our personality, is it possible that the DNA helix holds some of the important memories of our ancestors?

Theories that suggest that we can tap into the deep nature of DNA to uncover ancient memories are not new.

In the 1960s, some psychological researchers claimed that there may be keys that unlock our DNA, revealing experiences of generations of our relatives who lived long before our present time.

In the 1988 movie ALTERED STATES starring William Hurt, the main character, a research scientist (Hurt) dives deep into his consciousness and genetic roots.

In the film, he not only relives ancient experiences of his ancestors, he actually changes on the biological level.

This film was reportedly based on the real-life research of prominent psychologists and medical researchers of the 1960s and '70s who used isolation tanks and pharmacological triggers to access deep DNA memories and experiences, which they claimed were real.

These ideas are similar in a way to the concepts of past lives and reincarnation.

However, this DNA-related line of thinking focuses on the previous lives within us that are based on genetic memories, encoded on the DNA helix within us.

BLUEPRINT, MEMORY BANK, INNER SPACE

The DNA within all living things is the blueprint for what each organism becomes, subject to the environmental influences that can also have significant effects.

For humans, recent discoveries about DNA are rapidly changing our views about the importance of this material. DNA may affect us much more significantly than we imagined. And, it may hold keys to further discoveries.

It has long been known that our physical appearance is determined by the combination of DNA from our mother and father. Now, researchers are confirming that certain diseases and disorders have direct links to our DNA. Our health may be programmed to some degree by our genetic history.

Our IQ and aptitudes, musical skills, athletic ability, even our psychological and emotional traits may be significantly affected by the DNA within us.

It has been demonstrated that experiences necessary for survival of a species are learned and that this knowledge is passed on to subsequent generations.

In some cases this is mostly likely at least partially through DNA and the unconscious "instinct" that results. Even tiny and simple organisms learn crucial survival skills and pass these on.

For humans, with our relatively complex brain, feelings and memories, what other kinds of experiences might be saved in our DNA over the many thousands of years when our ancestors were born, lived and died? And, can they be accessed by us here and now?

OUR ANCESTORS WITHIN US

Because learning about situations that are necessary for survival of a species are probably saved as a kind of unconscious genetic memory, those fundamental human experiences could be deep down in our DNA somewhere.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I took a different path to believing in reincarnation. I started with an analysis of God and from there worked my way to a point that if you accept there is an afterlife and the soul is eternal, then reincarnation is the only rational explanation. If God is all things and all love, then he is also completely fair with all. It makes no sense that we only live once for that would mean God is very unfair since some have great lives and others pain and suffering. With the theories of reincarnation, we are all on the same path, just at different stages. This is where they consider old souls and young souls. A young soul has more hard lessons to go through, hence born in more primitive societies, harsher societies, etc and old souls have been there in their past and have grown to earn lives of higher pursuit, such as being artists or scientist, or maybe they have earned a life of wealth and ease. But with reincarnation, it is a model of existence that is fair to all souls, god plays no favorites. Besides, it is a beautiful theory that allows science to coexist with it in the most complementary way. It can be boiled down to there is no bad or evil if you wish, only more like positive and negative, yen and yang. You cannot experience the greatest joy without having experienced pain, the negative, so both have their place so that the other exist.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Jung believed in addition to the universal collective unconscious there was also a racial collective unconscious.

I also think it was Bruce Lipton wrote a book called the Biology of Belief which talked about changing your DNA through thought.

top topics

join