It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odor Across San Francisco

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Latest Earthquakes - Last 7 Days
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Was there an ALGAE BLOOM that died? That would explain the smell as well

Algae Bloom Kills Wildlife Along California Coast

LOS ANGELES — A bloom of ocean algae that produces a toxic acid has sickened and killed hundreds of birds, sea lions and dolphins in California, environmentalists said.

Birds and animals have been washing up on shores from San Diego to San Francisco Bay.

Thisi one was 2007
www.foxnews.com...

Would smell bad all those dead critters

Algae Bloom Killing Life Off California Coast
SOURCE

[edit on 22-8-2009 by zorgon]

[edit on 22-8-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
they showed on the news that there is an red algae bloom that is causing the smell.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

Thanks for the confirmation

Now back to the regular scheduled insanity

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
It could be anything. If it's related to sulfur, it could be hydrogen sulfide, sulfur dioxide, or several other sulfur-containing chemicals. If it isn't gas being emitted as a result of seismic activity, it could easily be the result of a die-off of large numbers of marine animals or plants (algae, fish, whatever), as a result of pollution, climate, or some other problem. As the dead stuff decayed, it could release a fetid odor.

It could also be some industrial goof-up that someone made, who is now trying to keep it quiet to avoid a fine.

I'm not sure that it bears worrying about, unless there are reports of other unusual seismic events (wells acting funny, animals getting restless, fore-shocks, etc.), or people getting sick from the odor or gas.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
That's it last chance everyone..

Any further Off Topic remarks from here on out, will result in warnings...

Sorry it had to come to this, but this is again... NOT chit chat...

Try BTS for that..

Semper

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
It could very well be an earthquake. A more realistic scenario might be that a small earthquake has broken a natural gas pipeline and what everyone is smelling is natural gas. Most people do not realize that massive natural gas pipelines flow through the U.S. like freeways underground. If you are in the area, you might want to be careful not to breath it in.

Could also be a naturally occurring natural gas spot has opened up somewhere and is spilling out. I know oil and gas are very common in places like CA and SC.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
im just goin to throw my $0.02 cents n here. as i was driving home today from berkeley i noticed the air was stangely calm and the cats in the neighboorhood were all gathered together hey i dont know just throwing it out there

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahhdarnit
im just goin to throw my $0.02 cents n here. as i was driving home today from berkeley i noticed the air was stangely calm and the cats in the neighboorhood were all gathered together hey i dont know just throwing it out there

I was thinking along those lines, some sort of thingy trapping a layer of stagnant air close to the ground. Add to that all the sources of bad smells we have anywhere today, and ta-da, you have some concerned people and a thread on ATS!

The other though I had:

Bad smells + San Fransisco = Mythbusters! They must be at it again.

As for the cats, who knows?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

Could be the same thing eh.

Cheers for the update.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey

Cheers for the update.

Hi Spikey!
Yeah, I notice that someone has now posted, that the local news has announced, there is a red algae bloom near S.F.!
Could be a winner!

G

Link to an Algae Bloom News Item

Link to Santa Rosa Lake Algae News Item

Edited to add news item links!

[edit on 23-8-2009 by Gordi The Drummer]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gordi The Drummer

Originally posted by spikey

Cheers for the update.

Hi Spikey!
Yeah, I notice that someone has now posted, that the local news has announced, there is a red algae bloom near S.F.!
Could be a winner!

G

Link to an Algae Bloom News Item

Link to Santa Rosa Lake Algae News Item

Edited to add news item links!

[edit on 23-8-2009 by Gordi The Drummer]

Could be. I think it's up to the people who smelled the smell to tell us if it smells anything like decomposing animal bodies.

Personally I've smelled the odor of a natural gas flare, and I've smelled the odor of decomposing animal bodies before, and I can say the odors are different, but I wasn't there so I can't say which it was this time. I would note that the timing of the post and the flare are pretty close, so I wouldn't rule out that possibility just yet, but it could be the algae bloom also.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Not having ever been to any ocean
I have no clue what red algae smells like but dog poo and sulfur DO NOT smell the same at all. Granted both are nasty odors but definitely not the same and sure not like poo.

My thought was farmers, because when they fertilize fields it will run everyone inside, but isn't that done in the spring out there like here in the east?

I just hope that it is this algae and not the coming of more tragedy.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

Hi Redhead!
If you look at the descriptions of the SF smells, they range from Sewage, to Sh*t, to Sulphur, etc

The same differing descriptions crop up in descriptions of smells caused by Algae Blooms. (Try a google search for it?)

Cheers,
G

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Hi Zorgon,

You know that your list of earthquakes is a common list of earthquakes that can be pulled up any day and every day. An earthquake strikes somewhere in the world approximately every two seconds.

There is no need for people to scare others with false earthquake predictions or a long string of earthquake data that can be pulled up every single day.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by RussianScientists]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Thank you for that clarification.

I am just glad they found what is causing it, better a stinky bunch of algae than an impending earthquake.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Fair enough

[edit on 23-8-2009 by McGinty]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
when the algae bloom starts to die, it is really stinky

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join