It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Third largest bank failure of 2009 announced

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Third largest bank failure of 2009 announced

money.cnn.com

Guaranty Bank was closed by federal regulators Friday in the third largest bank failure this year bringing the total number of failures to 81 in 2009.

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation was named receiver of the Austin, TX-based thrift, which had approximately $13 billion in assets and $12 billion in deposits as of June.

BBVA Compass, a U.S. subsidiary of Spanish bank Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, agreed to assume all of Guaranty's deposits and will buy $12 billion of its...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
It's hard to tell if the fish are getting bigger or smaller. I wonder who is next?

Every weekend we are hearing of banks being shuttered. Every month we hear the job loss totals. Regardless, I don't see much difference in my daily life. No desperate hunnies running around, no roaming droves of jobless protesters. Everything seems perfectly normal.

How many banks have to fail before "something" happens? It's almost as if 81 banks failing have no effect on the "bulletproof" American economy. For how long can it go on?

money.cnn.com

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
They seemed to have a lot of deposits and assets but how much in liabilities? At some point people will notice, but I suspect that by the time people really notice there will not be many banks left.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
www.guarantybanking.com...

It bothers me that a bank such as this one with similar holdings? to the one comercial bank I have my 401k in has been taken over. My bank has been aquired as have several other banks over the past ten years and I look for any of them that might fold. I guess that doesn't happen when they're part of a corporation or whatever?

This comercial corporate bank systems value has gone down by about 20% or 4 billion since last year.

My last statement went up by about $1,500. I'm looking forward to the same if not better on the next one. I'm still tempted to pull it out if things go south again. Being on SSDI and doing this, I've been told is a big mistake.

The recent threads of another crash has me worried and if that happens, no doubt there will be a run on these banks this time.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaCurious

It's hard to tell if the fish are getting bigger or smaller. I wonder who is next?

Every weekend we are hearing of banks being shuttered. Every month we hear the job loss totals. Regardless, I don't see much difference in my daily life. No desperate hunnies running around, no roaming droves of jobless protesters. Everything seems perfectly normal.

How many banks have to fail before "something" happens? It's almost as if 81 banks failing have no effect on the "bulletproof" American economy. For how long can it go on?

money.cnn.com

Ginnie Mae will be next.

Cheers.

top topics

join