It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISPs testing technology to intercept illegal music downloads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Dubbed Copyrouter, the technology can detect when a user is trying to download a copyright-infringing version of a song, and replace it with a legitimate paid version. When Copyrouter detects that a user has prompted an illegal download, it jumps in and requests that they instead download a copyright-protected version. Fees associated with the legal downloads are tacked on to the user's next monthly ISP bill.

Copyrouter works at the local ISP level by distinguishing a file's unique bit sequence. The identifying features of illegal songs are stored in a database owned by Bermeister's company, named Global File Registry. As many as 300 illegal versions of copyrighted songs may be mapped to the one legal copy. When a user initiates an illegal download, they are automatically steered to the legitimate version.

Bermeister, ISPs, and the music industry are all enthused about the potential widespread implementation of Copyrouter. The technology was introduced to a trial market of 8,000 Australian customers about three months ago, and is expected to make its way to the US later this year.

techspot

You have got to be kidding me.....

Is this why the RIAA NAZI"S are backing off DRM??

:shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk:
:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Nobody with a decent music taste (which happens to be most music pirates) download material of the artists that they have involvement with, anyway, so why should they even bother? Plus, in my country, it's extremely difficult finding albums by a lot of the artists that I like or would like to get into. Not to mention, imported CDs here can cost around $32.

Besides which, most of the music that I do download I try to get. I do believe in supporting the artist, but I also believe that downloading music from an artist is also supporting the musicians in the trade. I mean, a lot of the time, a fan will sooner or later buy the album that they've downloaded if they really enjoy it.

Music's a wonderful thing that should be shared.

Oh, and it might be helpful to get rid of a lot of the
emoticons. This page is stretched more than a prisoner's anus.

new topics

join