It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

District 9 New Peter Jackson UFO Film!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majorwood
I loved the movie but it was kinda of a rip off of alien nation, and do you think the UN would let south africa have all the prawns no way, The whole world would want them too for there technology and they would'nt have them some kinda sh*t whole place.It would be a top of the line internment camp with top of the line catfood

The whole world didnt want them after they found out humans couldnt use their weapons!!!

Dont you see the bigger picture here? Exploit the aliens..get all we can from them, treat them like sh%t...because thats what the human race is GOOD at.

The prawns were non violent, and they tried to obey rules set to them by our world...they even had all their weapons taken from them...obviously..the film has more meaning than just the surface

It also says in the movie..that the people who were integrated with the aliens, DIDNT survive..and guess why they wanted to do that..weapons...its greed...its selfishness..its inhumanity at its best...

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch

Originally posted by Majorwood
I loved the movie but it was kinda of a rip off of alien nation, and do you think the UN would let south africa have all the prawns no way, The whole world would want them too for there technology and they would'nt have them some kinda sh*t whole place.It would be a top of the line internment camp with top of the line catfood

The whole world didnt want them after they found out humans couldnt use their weapons!!!

Dont you see the bigger picture here? Exploit the aliens..get all we can from them, treat them like sh%t...because thats what the human race is GOOD at.

The prawns were non violent, and they tried to obey rules set to them by our world...they even had all their weapons taken from them...obviously..the film has more meaning than just the surface

It also says in the movie..that the people who were integrated with the aliens, DIDNT survive..and guess why they wanted to do that..weapons...its greed...its selfishness..its inhumanity at its best...

Yummy well when the prawns come back violent or not were gonna find out were not the top dogs anymore.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Majorwood

Yano..you're right..and it might do us some good
Now, do you see why "they" dont make contact with us...

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The movie does lend itself to a sequel and one site is asking for ideas.

screenrant.com...

But three years is past 2012 and by then if we have disclosure, maybe it won't be as sucessful?

I guess it all depends on what they make on this one and how much they're willing to spend on the next. A TV/cable series would likely be produced much quicker.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JScytale

Originally posted by Chakotay
Stupid, racist movie.

A parody of everything wrong with the human species.

Don't waste your money.

Yuk

i see social commentary is beyond you.

Actually, if I were to look at the movie as "social commentary" I would have to agree that the movie is racist (although perhaps not intentionally so...)

Some people see the movie as "commentary" on South Africa in its Apartheid era - which I suppose it is pretty bloody obvious comparison to make the since it is filmed in South Africa in one of Johanessburg's famous "shantytowns" - looks like not much improvement to living conditions since the end of Apartheid by the look of the film.

So the "prawns" are supposed to be the "blacks" who have been forcibly placed there by the oppressors who live in the rich areas of Joburg, (obviously the whites). Okay, so far, so good. The poor prawns have been pushed around by racist whites. Except in the real South Africa, the whites had the upper hand in technology and were able to use the technology to suppress the blacks. In District 9, the "prawns" (blacks) have vastly superior technology, except they are too stupid or naive to use it. There is no valiant ANC resistance, there is no resistance at all. The prawns are some of the most pathetic creatures ever who seem to love eating food that is only suitable for animals (raw meat and tins of cat food) and who also seem quite content to live in the most appaling garbage strewn squalor immaginable.

In spite of having incredibly sophisticated and advanced weapons, you never see any prawn actually use a weapon. Is it because it is against their religion to kill the technologically inferior humans? No, because they gleefully tear one to pieces - so it must be that they are just too stupid to realize they could use their weapons to resist their deportation, and their forced incarceration and put a real drubbing on those racist whites that run MNU.

Of course, I don't really think the movie is intended as having any "real message" but a lot of viewers may be trying to find a "profound illuminating message" as an excuse for throwing down $10 to see just another sci-fi gorefest.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by bluestreak53]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Without having any real feed back from any other species, it's not so easy to speculate. All we can do is use our own god-given empathy to see and feel with our eyes, ears, heart and mind. If we compare how we use our animals, food, environment and other humans, we don't don't have much of a leg to stand on.

I think there were a few accurate depictions, but without a TV/cable series or book, it's edited for costs and time factor.

Maybe more like a long trailer.

Prawns are in some way made to look like dumbed down drug addicts.

I wonder what religious group will also feel offended. It would have been funny if these Prawns were also religious and went door to door.

A Prawn Preacher. Maybe our hero in this movie will do something similar to the Planet of the Apes movie plot.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
"G" Day Wise Ones,

Grate movie,"BUT" the story was so floored, in no way the UN or the USA would let South Africa take full controll of something as Alian's coming to Earth like that.

I know us Ozyies would go over there and kick butt to help the ET's, and I am sure the rest of the world would come too gether to help them get home.

I know it's just a movie, but I can not help think, is that realy still the mentality of White South Africa ?

I know thats how the White's treated the Blacks before the change some years ago, some how I don't think the world would sit back and let's South Africa waste somthing as wounderful as ET coming here for our help.

As I said before, the story is so floored, good flick to see and yes I need to see part Two even thou I will be frustrated again.

Blessed Be: Kernoonos....

[edit on 23-8-2009 by Kernoonos]

[edit on 23-8-2009 by Kernoonos]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I saw this tonight and have mixed feelings about the movie.

1) The movie is "Very Graphic" with violence...something most people seem to forget to mention. Granted it's more of a real life depiction of what it would look like...but the movie could have done without much of it. I think it will turn off a lot of people for the sequel/prequel when it comes out because many women will not go watch it...I know my wife won't for sure and it seemed to be the theme for most women that went to watch it at the theater.

2) From a social perspective it raises lots of emotions. Knowing that we have treated other people/humans the same way over our history makes you wonder how you would react in a similar situation...something nobody can answer with 100% certainty unless actually put in that situation.

Beyond those two points....my problems with the film.

1) We would have back engineered the weapons to take off the safety features that only allowed the aliens to use them over the course of 20 years...so that was a bit on the stupid side of things. Maybe if this took place a year after they arrived it would be believable, but "20 years?"...I don't buy it.

2) If they had that type of weaponry they wouldn't have allowed themselves to be dominated that way. They could have wiped out entire cities without our military being able to do anything about it. Once we treated them that way and put them in internment camps...they would have fought back with devastating consequences....So I'm not buying that either.

Some people say they were pacifists...however, pacificts don't carry weapons like that. If they have weapons like that, they have military or police personnel on the ship that can and will use them if needed. They would have had the same self preservation desires as humans do and would have used them to protect their interests as well.

3) There is no way any government allows the ship to leave knowing how we treated them. With their abilities they would be back to kick our A$$'s in a big, bad way!!!!

We would have shot the mother ship down. Also, we would have had military personnel stationed on it to make sure nobody came up and started it back up so it could leave and it would have been taken apart after 20 years.

4) The fluid was the key to starting the ship? Yet at the same time it turned a human into an alien? What???? Made no sense at all!!!

5) It will take 3 years for the alien to return so they can pick up their buddies and fix the guy? LOL...that puts us at......Wait for it....2012!!! Gee, lets make the sequel into a Mayan prophecy movie...LOL.

This also basically says they use sub light speed technology and don't use wormholes to travel...or else they would be able to get home and return much faster and not using either of those two technologies it would take a whole lot longer than 3 years considering the distance to the closest star to ours.

Overall, an OK movie but way too many holes to make it believable...However it is a socially moving move...nothing more though. It's far from a historic movie and doesn't replace others as one of the best yet, that much is for sure.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by spirit777child
District 9 is a film directed by Peter Jackson which tells a story of an alien space ship which is stationary above Johanasberg.

erhh...thats Johannesburg!
Its like me say say "above New Jorck" or Los Angilês"
grrrr!

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retikx
It could have been 12-489025-49168903405943590341059834579834 x better.

im so sick of movies not tackling some bad ass movie and takin it to a whole-nuva-levah

I gave you a star man and I feel similar. I wanted this movie to be more about the aliens, where they were from, their reason for coming, etcetera.

None of those interrogation scenes from the trailer were in the movie.

It never really explained in the movie how the aliens came for 20 years through space and were in danger, from whatever. It's not explained. Maybe it doesn't need to be. But that's what I was hoping for.

But it was still a great movie, I thought. I really enjoyed it. It was brutal but it used each brutal scene for a purpose. It was very entertaining. I recommend it highly, not as a scientific or spiritual movie, but as an entertaining movie that may make you look at humans like filthy scum.

Which may or may not be good for us.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by 750Aero
I saw this tonight and have mixed feelings about the movie.

1) The movie is "Very Graphic" with violence...something most people seem to forget to mention. Granted it's more of a real life depiction of what it would look like...but the movie could have done without much of it. I think it will turn off a lot of people for the sequel/prequel when it comes out because many women will not go watch it...I know my wife won't for sure and it seemed to be the theme for most women that went to watch it at the theater.

2) From a social perspective it raises lots of emotions. Knowing that we have treated other people/humans the same way over our history makes you wonder how you would react in a similar situation...something nobody can answer with 100% certainty unless actually put in that situation.

Beyond those two points....my problems with the film.

1) We would have back engineered the weapons to take off the safety features that only allowed the aliens to use them over the course of 20 years...so that was a bit on the stupid side of things. Maybe if this took place a year after they arrived it would be believable, but "20 years?"...I don't buy it.

2) If they had that type of weaponry they wouldn't have allowed themselves to be dominated that way. They could have wiped out entire cities without our military being able to do anything about it. Once we treated them that way and put them in internment camps...they would have fought back with devastating consequences....So I'm not buying that either.

Some people say they were pacifists...however, pacificts don't carry weapons like that. If they have weapons like that, they have military or police personnel on the ship that can and will use them if needed. They would have had the same self preservation desires as humans do and would have used them to protect their interests as well.

3) There is no way any government allows the ship to leave knowing how we treated them. With their abilities they would be back to kick our A$$'s in a big, bad way!!!!

We would have shot the mother ship down. Also, we would have had military personnel stationed on it to make sure nobody came up and started it back up so it could leave and it would have been taken apart after 20 years.

4) The fluid was the key to starting the ship? Yet at the same time it turned a human into an alien? What???? Made no sense at all!!!

5) It will take 3 years for the alien to return so they can pick up their buddies and fix the guy? LOL...that puts us at......Wait for it....2012!!! Gee, lets make the sequel into a Mayan prophecy movie...LOL.

This also basically says they use sub light speed technology and don't use wormholes to travel...or else they would be able to get home and return much faster and not using either of those two technologies it would take a whole lot longer than 3 years considering the distance to the closest star to ours.

Overall, an OK movie but way too many holes to make it believable...However it is a socially moving move...nothing more though. It's far from a historic movie and doesn't replace others as one of the best yet, that much is for sure.

Its graphic , yes..but it doesnt bother me, and I dont think I even paid attention, Im so used to it in movies and video games..lol

I think at the beginning of the movie, one of the news people, I think it was the woman, says they were all "sick" and thats why they didnt fight at first, they made a temporary camp under the spaceship to help them...Im sure thats when they confiscated all the weapons...when they first entered the space ship, the Prawns were all disoriented and sick...

Also, once the Prawns got hooked on cat food, they said it was like cat nip to cats, only 100 times worse..and it must have an effect on them like a drug..yea i know..wierd..

I think we tried back engineering, but the fact was, that it was DNA based to use the weapons, and we did try to combine human and alien to be able to use the weapons, but none of the people lived that were combined..

Im also suspecting that the "fuel" was also DNA based..and thats why it changed him into an alien...iuno..just my opinion, i could be wrong

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GerhardSA

District 9 is a film directed by Peter Jackson which tells a story of an alien space ship which is stationary above Johanasberg.

grrrr!

Hey, how do you and your countrymen feel about District 9? Has it brought more publicity?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
Its graphic , yes..but it doesnt bother me, and I dont think I even paid attention, Im so used to it in movies and video games..lol

I think at the beginning of the movie, one of the news people, I think it was the woman, says they were all "sick" and thats why they didnt fight at first, they made a temporary camp under the spaceship to help them...Im sure thats when they confiscated all the weapons...when they first entered the space ship, the Prawns were all disoriented and sick...

Also, once the Prawns got hooked on cat food, they said it was like cat nip to cats, only 100 times worse..and it must have an effect on them like a drug..yea i know..wierd..

I think we tried back engineering, but the fact was, that it was DNA based to use the weapons, and we did try to combine human and alien to be able to use the weapons, but none of the people lived that were combined..

Im also suspecting that the "fuel" was also DNA based..and thats why it changed him into an alien...iuno..just my opinion, i could be wrong

Right on the mark, Yummy.

Great rebuttal there, everything I wanted to say, you said. Brilliant. Star for you.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

Ty, I just really enjoyed the movie, but then Im a huge sci fi fan...and I really sided with the aliens in this one..I sure hope a sequel comes out though, I agree with everyone, and there are unanswered questions...

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

The graphic nature didn't bother me much, but completely turned off my wife from the film. They could have used less violence and still been able to convey the same message. I think they used it more for a cool special effects than anything for the "Guys" in the audience. However I think it will hurt prequel/sequel sales a lot....they are going to end up with just the "Sci-Fi Geeks" watching it...which isn't a huge audience and will kill any other follow up movies. I just think it was way overdone.

The question with them being sick is why? Was it because they were on earth? Was it before they came here? They were still active and could have still used their weapons...nothing stopping them from doing that. I don't buy the fact that they just gave everything up for cat food. That's like saying every person on earth would be a drug addict if the drugs were introduced to them...however we know that not to be the truth.

Then add in the fact that there were only three intelligent aliens...one of which was a child who seemed to be the smartest one of them all? Yea, OK I believe that...what a crock!!! All of the Aliens would have had a better understanding of science than we do just based on their advanced level of understanding. We are seeing it with our own society...youth today know way more about science than their parents did at the same age because there is more advanced knowledge out there for them to be taught. An advanced society that can travel through space would have an educational system that educates all members of society at least to a basic level...but the movie made them all to be invalids...was this the "Mothership of the DD Aliens?". If they can travel through interstellar means they are going to be smarter than that.

Also, what happened to their military force? Their police force? Were they all DD as well? Or just so incompetent they couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag even with super advanced weapons.

As for back engineering the weapons. All we would need to know is how they worked...then make new ones that didn't need DNA to make them work (something we are already working on for humans as we speak). Or even change the DNA sequencing to match that of humans so we could use them. Given 20 years, I would think we would have figured it out...that's just underselling what Humans can do. The Aliens can figure it out but are as smart as a cockroach...but humans are stupid and just want to beat things up to make themselves feel better (i.e. bullies). OK then...

The fuel was DNA based? So now DNA is the most powerful form of fuel in the universe? Not only that but there was so little of it and 3/4 of it was splashed on the guy to turn him into an alien...but yet that allowed them to keep going. Then add in the fact that they were on the ship for 3 month and could use their technology to create new fuel? What intelligent species leaves their home world without means to replicate fuel? What intelligent species leave their planet without enough scientist to create new fuel when needed? Again...dumbing down the movie and the intelligence of the audience. Not plausible.

Basically the movie made the aliens look like the stupid species...scavangers who are after nothing but self pleasure, but advanced societies such as that don't get to that level without killing themselves off before they get to that level. They made the Humans the smart ones...even though the aliens have the ability to create super weapons and can travel through the stars while we are using primitive weapons and can't get out of our own solar system...The writers/directors must think we are stupid or have a superiority complex that we are better than anybody else in the universe...not sure which yet.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I am glad to see that I was not the only one who thought the movie was very poorly thought out as far as a believable storyline and that it was just an excuse to show a bunch of gory violence.

And there are so many people who are claiming it is some sort of profound social commentary when it is seems like the movie has no real illuminating comment on South African Apartheid other than to suggest that the blacks had no objection to being segregated into Soweto and other slums and shanty towns and that they essentially offered no resistance to their oppressors.

The movie had its good parts and was a certainly a good first feature for the director but to me, it was just pure trashy Hollywood and that is why it is a successful summer hit, appealing to the main young male demographic that just wants to see lots of gore and violence and fast paced action - I mean like uh, who needs a believeable storyline man? Its just a movie.

This is hardly one which makes it onto my "favorite Sci-fi movies list", not by a long shot. I sure hope Avatar is a better movie.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by BaronVonGodzilla

Originally posted by GerhardSA

grrrr!

Hey, how do you and your countrymen feel about District 9? Has it brought more publicity?

its been well received here. we are actually pretty surprised that we have a block buster No1 movie, then again almost all movies about aliens and UFO's will always get a good reception in the states i think. it only starts showing here this friday, but i cannot wait to see it. ive watched the trailer, and it looks pretty good. Doesn't look like a low budget film from the trailer (not comparing it too stuff like Transformers etc.) i for one love the Alien, UFO, doomsday "band wagon" filmmakers are riding this year(knowing, 2012, District 9 etc) and wont miss the movie when it comes out.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by GerhardSA]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by GerhardSA

Theres lots of action thats for sure
...I still like it,even though it has alot of unanswered questions, but then, Im sick to death of cop movies and I love a good sci fi, so anything sci fi is fine with me

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
My wife even enjoyed it, and she hates sci-fi.

My only gripe was with the "transformer" gizmo. Transformers 1, Transformers 2, Terminator-4, just about every Japanime series... enough already.

Other than that, a very unique take on things. I really enjoyed it.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Well keep in mind this movie was derived from a short film. Whenever you stretch a short film into a feature length film, unless you do it just right, it gets a little wonky.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join