It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm announced (as well as Diablo 3 news)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I know there are plenty of WoW fans on this board, so here is your major news from Blizzcon this year:

Blizzard just made millions of World of Warcraft players happy with the announcement of the third expansion for the popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm will "change the face of Azeroth" as Chris Metzen, Blizzard vice president of creative development, described it.

In the reveal trailer, the narrator explains how the landscape of the world has changed due to some kind of cataclysmic event. There are scenes of volcanoes erupting and huge lava fields. Resources are rarer, causing the factions to battle over them. Meanwhile, refugee species fleeing the upheaval have flooded the existing lands.
The expansion will have two new playable factions: The goblins for the Horde, and the Worgen, who were formerly human but have been transformed into humanoid creatures. The expansion will have new race combinations, new monsters, new dungeons and raids, flying mounts, hundreds of new quests, a new archeology skill, new battlegrounds, and a level cap increase to 85.

Source - IGN

I quit a long time ago, but I can understand how awesome this would be for a WoW addict. They also stated, although strangely it isn't in this article, that this will be the final expansion for WoW.

Blizzard have been working on an unnammed MMO project for several years, which will likely take over when WoW finally begins to die.

Also for Diablo fans (oooh, pick me!) there was the announcement of the 4th class in the upcoming Diablo III, the Monk.

Blizzard unveiled that the fourth class in Diablo III is the Monk. The company made the announcement at the beginning of the BlizzCon convention going on this weekend in Irvine, California. The announcement was accompanied by a trailer showing the Monk wandering the desert when a refugee tells him that a neighboring town has been overrun by evil and asks him to help.

The trailer then shows the city itself, emerging from a sandstorm. However, as you enter the town the refugee disappears, and it's a trap. Surrounded by enemies the Monk then goes into Martial Arts action. The scene ends, and then the trailer shows the Monk encountering the refugee outside the city, where he demands the refugee to reveal himself. It's actually a demon, and they battle, magical fireballs flying in the air. Suddenly, the Monk attacks with superhuman speed and unleashes a flurry of blows. The two trade attacks, leap into the air, and the Monk hammers the demon with a fiery punch and that's the Diablo III credits roll.

Then Blizzard showed gameplay of the monk in action. This looks to be a front-line melee fighter. The other revealed classes are the Barbarian, Witch Doctor, and Wizard.

Source - IGN

I'll keep you all updated if any more huge announcements are made.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
i waited so much to see the fourth class..a monk?
im going to diablo3.com to see it

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
forget wow its all about Aion. Diablo 3 is gonna be AWESOME!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Nice, but just quit the game and deleted my characters. The game is cursed! haha!

I'm gonna miss my invincible paladin though. It's so tough it could easily solo many 70+ bosses and solo many group quests when I was just leveling and the unlimited mana. Ahh, the IMBAness!!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mvirata
forget wow its all about Aion.

If you play Aion, please post back and let us know how it is?

I've read quite a bit about it and the story sounds great and the graphics look incredible, just curious about the actual gameplay and balance.

Back to WoW; this next expansion will be a lot different for sure. I'm still not sure how I feel about them altering Azeroth as I still enjoy starting a new toon every once in awhile and running through all the zones.
I've been playing since release so all of that old content holds a lot of fun memories for me.

P.S. This announcement didn't make of the Vanilla level 60 raiding guilds happy

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Aion uses the standard MMO interface so in early levels it appears like every other MMO. After level 10 you get your wings and you can do flying combat so it adds that extra layer. It uses a modified Crytek engine which makes it graphically the best MMO to date. It is very PvPvE oriented so even though it gets the WOW compairson, it actually compares more with Dark Age of Camelot (or may even WAR).

No need to wait, it is currently in Open Beta, started yesterday and runs until Sep 13th. Go to Aionsource.com or other websites for more info, i believe you need to sign up for an Open Beta key then DL it from NCsoft.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mvirata

Thanks for the info!

I will check it out.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Don't people get bored with WOW at all? i can't play on good private servers for more then a week before getting bored. i understand people getting crazy over ATS but here atleast you will find intelligent people who will most of the time help you with info and stuff.
and besides,the monthy subscribtion fee? go buy a toyota with that money.
fyi most of the people playing it are probably fat,unemployed and going to grief your **s all day I:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stillalive
Don't people get bored with WOW at all? i can't play on good private servers for more then a week before getting bored. i understand people getting crazy over ATS but here atleast you will find intelligent people who will most of the time help you with info and stuff.
and besides,the monthy subscribtion fee? go buy a toyota with that money.
fyi most of the people playing it are probably fat,unemployed and going to grief your **s all day I:

I play WoW with a group of age 30ish professional types that do it as a hobby because we all enjoy it.

To assume that people who play subscription based video games are unintelligent is quite the statement and shows a lack of, well, i'm sure you get the point.

I do love your last statement though because that clearly shows a superior intellect. lol

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Wow is for people who don't want to use their brains while playing!

Check this out!

MMORPG: Fallen Earth

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I played the beta and this game is off the charts. Unfortunately it came at a bad time as I have already commited to Aion for the PVP. Fallen Earth is a crafters dream. If you want to build a buggy, you don't just go the guy and build it. You have to learn how to create all the components of each part first. If I had the time I would play both.

To get back on topic Diablo III looks awesome, I hope it captures the feel of the old Diablo I spend many sleepless nights on that game. I was also 10 years younger which puts me in my early 20's. Diablo was the second online game I ever played on a 14.4Kbps modem.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mvirata

I played the beta and this game is off the charts. Unfortunately it came at a bad time as I have already commited to Aion for the PVP. Fallen Earth is a crafters dream. If you want to build a buggy, you don't just go the guy and build it. You have to learn how to create all the components of each part first. If I had the time I would play both.

To get back on topic Diablo III looks awesome, I hope it captures the feel of the old Diablo I spend many sleepless nights on that game. I was also 10 years younger which puts me in my early 20's. Diablo was the second online game I ever played on a 14.4Kbps modem.

Crafting is awesome. Lends to the self sustaining life style of survivalists.

I am looking forward to Diablo 3 as well.
Dont know if Ill buy it. Might Download it though *wink wink*

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Dude u have to "acquire" it because of the online part. I never played any Diablo single player. In fact everytime I tried it I was bored in 2 minutes. Plus if I recall they save your online character on battle.net.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mvirata

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It definitely should be interesting to see the direction that Blizzard goes with the expansion. I like the fact that no new classes are coming, just two new races with some very fascinating racial abilities. The decision to revisit the old world is kind of an anomaly, at first I thought it was a cop out because they didn't want to put the money into building a whole new island, but now I realize they needed to address the zones that occupied the largest portion of the leveling experience. That said I can't wait for the beta, worgen druid ftw, also the warlock changes with soul shards makes my brain hurt with the overload of awesome

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin
I play WoW with a group of age 30ish professional types that do it as a hobby because we all enjoy it.

What I hate about this hobby is it takes awfully lots of time!

I'm only actually interested in PvP'ing with endgame gear..... I've already done the difficult part of leveling, and grinding tons of honor for gear....

Sometimes you have to try different classes, and to get to know them really well, you have to level them all the way to the top and get endgame gear.

Well I didn't actually got endgame gear, just the starter epics, decent enchants and gems are just enough to beat most guys wearing endgame items. Secret to this game to beat most? A bit of gear and adopting a very unique playstyle you only know.. It can be a combination of spells, buffs, abilities, talents, even gear mixups that is unique enough that other players will have a big problem countering and adapting to because it isn't found in the internet and no reliable means of countering it exists yet!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
world of warcraft forever lol

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The announcement has come so close to making me consider re-subbing...

But I'm FREE, FREE I tell you! No going back! Definitely. Maybe. Err...

join