It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

interstate entrance/exit ramps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I was just wondering if there are other states that have had he same type of work done on their interstate entrance/exit ramps in the United States. What this work looks like is huge "blocks" cut out of the concrete horizontally across all the ramps in my state.
Do or have any one else in here noticed this type of work going on in their state??? If so, I think I know why they are soing this...sabre11004....

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sabre11004

Gonna have to be more specific. Blocks cut out of where? The pavement? The bridge? The railing? How large of a block? Are the lanes still open?

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
In Northern VA, and most major US cities, there are sensors in the road for traffic monitoring. They sensors take up an area about the size of a standard vehicle, and monitor the traffic that goes across it. This way they can give you real-time traffic reports on delays and/or traffic jams. I have never seen them being installed in an existing road, so not sure what they would cut up to install them, but this could be a posibility.

Fry

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by frey51
I have never seen them being installed in an existing road

Sensors go bad too. They also can be upgraded to that of more reliable sensors. Work on roads never ever stops, I've worked on too many to not know this.

Not every merge/travel area gets them to start. As traffic grows on an existing roadway, so does the need to upgrade the roadway - including sensors where there were previously none.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yes,I am sorry....the pavement. I saw down into one of the holes while they were working on it and it look like a hydraulic system in side of the hole. I am suspecting that these large blocks can be pushed up hydraulically to block off entry or exit on or off the interstate...sabre11004

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sabre11004

WOW.
That is very interesting. I have seen that type of thing on private drives and parking garages, but never on a roadway. It makes sense though! I don't like the idea of being trapped on an interstate and not being able to exit, but I can see how it makes perfect sense for certain emergencies.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabre11004
look like a hydraulic system in side of the hole

Do you know anything about hydraulic systems? I mean, did the devices look similar, or do you know pretty damn sure it was hydraulics?

If the latter, that you do know it to be hydraulics from seeing these devices ........
- How big were the rams? Were they for instance 2" diameter (indicative of pressure sensors) or 8" (indicative of heavy lift)?
- Were the horizontal or vertical to the raodway?
- How many rams were there?

Fine time to not have a camera huh? lol. Is there any way you could draw something similar to what you saw?

Thanks

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
There seemed to be several of them lined up in rows horizontally. They were "shock like" in appearance and seemed to be about 7" in diameter. They were "bright" blue in color and may have looked more like so concept of air pressure rather than hydraulics. The holes were staggered from left to right ( I would assume to "completely" close the ramp) and are clearly not "concreted" down to the other portions of the road... I am taking a trip shortly and I intend to look at other states interstate ramps to see if they are done the same way. Most of you probably know that the interstate highways were built specifically for the military in order to assure travel is possible in an emergency. (or whatever they plan on coming up with).
Any way, I just thought that most of you would be interested in this type of thing. It really is something that can be done right under our noses and most of would not pay too much attention at all. Just your every day activity huh??? sabre11004

reply to post by Misfit

top topics

join