It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 major roads blocked off with no detour or road.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
For almost a year now 2 major roads in my area have been blocked off. I can no longer access 3 parts of my area. They have almost completely blocked off access to a small town nearby.
These two major roads bein blocked has effectively kept me from going to my west, south and north in one area. The only way that is not blocked off is the way I came from. The only other way to bypass this area to get to the south only is to pass a creek which with all the rain we have been having the flood gates are closed more often than not. I have even heard of a new construction project that will block off the sothern acess now. If I am blocked from three sides what is to say they may not block off the fourth side.
Can government really do this? Block off access so people do not have may options of leaving certian areas? There are apartments on the other side of the road where there is only one way that winds around a neighborhood.
They are blocked off almost completely. I have spoken with the road department they said it will be a year. They said that almost a year a go. I try to get answers but the city said it is an at and t project and at and t says it is a city project. When I went past it today there were two men sitting by a trailer yet no work being done. No equipment; there rarely is. They have made very little progress in a year.
Is this because of the economy I have never seen anything like this before.
It is the same road I live right off. I am so worried that they might continue down to my area eventually. I wander if the people who live that area where acess is completely cutoff had to move?
There is no road or detour. I hate to think that the city has more sinister plans because this road was perfect before they took it out. I used it all the time and never had any problems with flooding issues or bumps in the road. I asked why they are fixing a perfectly good road and they told me because of flooding issues? I have also been told Atand t were installing underground wires. I have also been told I have no clue.
A few months a go there was a man who was protesting the road. He had a sign stating that the city was unfair and had no reason for the road to be demolished.
I talked to him briefly and he told me that he they are planning to use eniment domian to take over people's property in the area for some made up construction project? He also said that the workers were not city workers and were private companies looking to make tons of money of this. They are dragging their feet so they can get more money because the city told them they don't need to do much. They just need to pretend they are actually doing something.
Once the road is back and open again I will feel more comfortable.
Has anyone seen this before in your area? Is has been a major headache in my life.
Believe me I went on mapquest several times to map out routes yet it leads me to deadends, creeks or takes me in a complete circle.

[edit on 21-8-2009 by dreamseeker]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
By the time I got down typing out my story I was way down on the thread list.
I really do not want to be typing my story months from now 3 major roads closed no acess to the city.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Don't knock it man. You are witnessing your stimulus package dollars at work in your own city. Pretty cool. I can honestly say I haven't seen a dime spent in my area. (Please note my extreme sarcasm).

I really think you are witnessing money being spent on a project that was not "shovel ready" They are probably planning the project while the entire area is shut down to give the illusion of work. The plan as you go approach. The money will be spent before any shovels actually hit the dirt.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

well I wish they would have at least put up a temproary road. I believe that if it isn't broken why fix it?
It is hard to accept that I can no longer acess certain areas now. I still can acess 75% of my area but that 25% is what I miss.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Where on God's Google Earth my this mystery be???

Line DUX

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Do you have any friends or know anyone with a JCB/Bulldozer?

If so,...use your imagination...

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
It is illegal to "landlock" a property, let alone a whole city. So no worries.

-E-

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

www.mapquest.com...
this is the area I am talking about that is closed off. The road construction is starting to creep down 64th st close to where I live.
You can try almost anyway and it is blocked off.

actually the construction begins there but it is not completely blocked off until nw 67th st.
On the other side it is blocked off from nw waukmouis to nw 70th terr.
That is where the other apartments are located. They are low income so I guess they are not as important to the city.
Keep in mind there are houses and neighborhoods in the blocked area.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
If bridges were involved on those routes, then they are slatted by Federal Law to be closed until retrofitted and repaired.

Remember the bridge collapse in Minneapolis in 2007? Well, the American Society of Civil Engineers conducted a survey and discovered 599,893 bridges across America that were structurally unsound. They said it would take $1.6 Trillion over five years to upgrade the nation's infrastructure. Congress only gave the States $25 Billion and told the States had to fund the rest. That's $1.35 Trillion short of what was needed.

I know in my State, all of these bridges that were found structurally unsound are still being retrofitted. It seems like after 2 years they aren't any closer to finishing them. In some of the cases, rather than close the bridges and repair them, they built new bridges and rerouted traffic over them and are demolishing the old bridges. I guess that's the cheap and easy way of doing it. However, as my State is a major Freeway Corridor that depends on revenue from Commercial Traffic along our major Freeway, along with Tourism, my State spends a lot more than most on such things. Other States may not consider these costly projects to be a priority, especially in more rural areas.

Most States have all Department of Transportation projects available for public review on their websites. You might want to check out what they actually have planned for those routes.

[edit on 21-8-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

I will look into that more. I have been trying to come up with answers since the begginning and could not find much info on the project. I bet now that has been almost a year I can find more.
There are no bridges in that area just perfectly working roads.
Time will tell but I may have to schedule a move if the road construction creeps down my way. There are only two ways to leave my area. The front way could be blocked by road construction and the other way is a back way that takes you to dead end streets, and circles you back around to the closed road.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I thought that would be case yet they have blocked off s neighboorhood. Maybe those people moved?

join