It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House - Lockerbie bomber welcome "disturbing"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

White House - Lockerbie bomber welcome "disturbing"

uk.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House said on Friday it was "disturbing" that Abdel Basset al-Megrahi, a former Libyan agent jailed for life for the 1988 Lockerbie bombing, got a hero's welcome on his return to Libya.

"It is disturbing to see images suggesting that Megrahi was accorded a hero's welcome instead of being treated as a convicted murderer," White House spokesman Bill Burton said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

"As we have communicated to the Libyan government, such a welcome sends the wrong message, and is deeply offensive to the families of the hundreds of people who lost their lives in the Lockerbie bombing."

Megrahi was released on the order of Scotland's justice minister because he is ill and believed to have less than three months to live.

This is making a mountain out of a mole-hill. The guy will be dead in 3 months, he's hardly free and can hardly be seen as much of a hero.

By releasing him we are demonstrating that in the west we treat people with compassion, unlike he himself demonstrated. The whitehouse statements getting stronger and increasing in number from each department are disturbing as this matter has nothing to do with the US governmentt!!!

It's ridiculous to trash relations with Libya to save face over what is a very small matter that he will actually get to see his family before he dies. Nobody is disputing that he was convicted of mass murder and that he didn't show the same compassion to his victims, but by releasing him to die at home we are showing we are beyond having to resort to revenge. We are supposed to set an example in the west of how to behave. This argument far outweighs the responses from the US regime.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-8-2009 by john124]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124
This is making a mountain out of a mole-hill. The guy will be dead in 3 months, he's hardly free and can hardly be seen as much of a hero.

It is you who is trying to make a mountain look like a mole-hill. He was greeted by CROWDS, for gossake, and Qaddafi Jr helped him out of the plane.

By releasing him we are demonstrating that in the west we treat people with compassion, unlike he himself demonstrated.

Say that to families of those who he had mercilessly mass-murdered.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

It is you who is trying to make a mountain look like a mole-hill. He was greeted by CROWDS, for gossake, and Qaddafi Jr helped him out of the plane.

By releasing him we are demonstrating that in the west we treat people with compassion, unlike he himself demonstrated.

I'm not in a position of power and so how can I be making a situation worse. So what if he was greeted by crowds??? Obama has given their newspapers headlines that we actually care about all of this, and just to save face in the publics eye when in actual fact this man will be hospitalised and dead very soon.

The families cannot provide an objective opinion, so I accept they will be angry. But coming from different US govt. departments this shows a lack of restraint.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I think that is the point. This man had no compassion for anyone, and yet if as a society we can show him compassion then we are better than him. Personally, I think he should have ben put to death years ago, but if the law is on the books to release prisoners hn they are dying, then someone thought it was a good idea at some point.

Don't like it? Take steps to change the law. If for some reason people agree with the law in most cases, then they have toa ccept it in all cases.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916

I think that is the point. This man had no compassion for anyone, and yet if as a society we can show him compassion then we are better than him. Personally, I think he should have ben put to death years ago, but if the law is on the books to release prisoners hn they are dying, then someone thought it was a good idea at some point.

Don't like it? Take steps to change the law. If for some reason people agree with the law in most cases, then they have toa ccept it in all cases.

Of course, we show that we are civilised, and this is how we should treat people with cancer whoever they are. Personally I feel executing somebody for murder is a bit hypocritical.

There are correct ways to show disagreement that don't jeopardise years of negotiations with Libya, and I would expect the US administration to at least show respect to a sovereign nation's justice system. That is why I sarcastically called them the US regime!

Remember Gary McKinnon, the pentagon hacker. When he is extradicted to the US I doubt the British govt. will continuously criticise the decision made, even though one or two from the cabinet have said they feel he should be tried in Britain. But as soon as he has been extradicted, I really don't see the British govt. continuing to mention it even once, and if questioned would say it's now an American matter.

Similarly if Obama is upset, show some restraint and accept it's not a US govt. matter anymore.

It seems the power hungry tentacles on the US govt. cannot let go of anything, with their excessive tantrums until they get what they want.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

The families cannot provide an objective opinion, so I accept they will be angry. But coming from different US govt. departments this shows a lack of restraint.

On the contrary, this has plenty of relevance to the United States and its government. 180 US citizens were killed on that flight. I'm no fan of this administration, to say the least, but they are absolutely correct to speak out against the release of this person. They were elected to represent the will of the people, and their statements on this matter echo the outrage of the general public over here.

Don't get me wrong, the courts in Scotland can do whatever they want, obviously. That said, the US government, as well as those of the other twenty countries who lost citizens in that incident also have the right to strongly disagree with his release. They also have the right to disagree with giving him a hero's welcome in Libya.

[edit on 21-8-2009 by vor78]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

John you seem to be missing the point in your own topic.

Maybe there was some objection to his being released at all (as you referred to above), however the real outrage is that he received a hero's welcome, not so much that he was released.

OK we release him, but it is worthy of telling Libya they shouldn't give the guy a hero's welcome. Whatever impact that admonishment has on our relationship with Libya, so be it.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

The families cannot provide an objective opinion,

They are the victims and their opinion, and that of the law, are the only ones that matter. It's vile and disgusting, but not unexpected, that this mass murderer is getting a hero's welcome. I hope the white house is paying close attention. It's a cold hard slap in the face with reality as to the sort of people it has to deal with other there.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

Basically, the terrorist won and will now motivate new terrorists. Instead of dying in prison, he got out and as far as those crowds are concerned he won a great victory. Think of all the people who now might take action, because they have been motivated by the weakness of their enemies.

It was a stupid, misguided move and people will more than likely die because of it.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly
reply to post by john124

Basically, the terrorist won and will now motivate new terrorists. Instead of dying in prison, he got out and as far as those crowds are concerned he won a great victory. Think of all the people who now might take action, because they have been motivated by the weakness of their enemies.

It was a stupid, misguided move and people will more than likely die because of it.

Do you really believe he won?? Or has your media brainwashed you so far into believing that!?

So potential terrorists will feel more motivated to mass murder westerners because they may be released if they are dying of cancer? Come on!! Terrorists have other motives to commit terrorism than this.

By releasing him we are showing we are better than he was. Torturing and murdering terrorists has shown not to reduce potential terrorists, but actually increase their numbers.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
From the OP's source

"..More than 1,000 young Libyans gathered at an airport in Tripoli to welcome Megrahi and cheered and waved national flags as his car sped away. Pictures of the blue and white Scottish flag being waved were shown on British television.

Pergaps what was being celebrated, by the show of Libyan and Scottish flags, was that of a compassionate, humanitaian as well as a diplomatic decision.

If it had been Libyan flags alone waving and a nationalist sentiment, then I could understand. But perhaps the people there were cheering a step toward national forgiveness.

Maybe folk should remember the other nationals who accounted for the 90 other victims...not just the 180 American victims..or is it only they who count?

[edit on 21-8-2009 by Taikonaut]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

The families cannot provide an objective opinion,

They are the victims and their opinion, and that of the law, are the only ones that matter. It's vile and disgusting, but not unexpected, that this mass murderer is getting a hero's welcome. I hope the white house is paying close attention. It's a cold hard slap in the face with reality as to the sort of people it has to deal with other there.

I agree with all of that except that unless we want to fight extremism forever we have to be more clever than this! I am not going to demonise every person in Libya or even every person welcoming him home just because I don't want to lose face.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

By releasing him we are showing we are better than he was.

By releasing him they are spitting on the graves of the hundreds of people he murdered and they are slapping the faces of the relatives of the dead.

Torturing and murdering terrorists has shown not to reduce potential terrorists, but actually increase their numbers.

Having a mass murdering criminal actually do his life sentence in jail isn't 'torturing and murdering' him. And aving him spend life in jail was merciful enough. He deserved death a few hundred times over.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

reply to post by john124

I never agreed with you on anything (and I doubt this will ever happen again), but on this one, you hit the nail on the head.

Scotch flowing freely in Scotland or something, but this is plain wrong.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

John you seem to be missing the point in your own topic.

Maybe there was some objection to his being released at all (as you referred to above), however the real outrage is that he received a hero's welcome, not so much that he was released.

OK we release him, but it is worthy of telling Libya they shouldn't give the guy a hero's welcome. Whatever impact that admonishment has on our relationship with Libya, so be it.

That's the problem, you can't expect countries to respect the US govt. if they don't care about the consequences of their words.

Obama went further and has generalised the whole 1000 people at the airport by his statements. When in actual fact some were carrying scottish flags and were celebrating the compassion not the terrorist attack. It's cynical to assume that just because one Libyan committed mass murder, that all Libyans see him as a hero, when in fact they may be celebrating better relations between the two countries.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

By releasing him we are showing we are better than he was.

By releasing him they are spitting on the graves of the hundreds of people he murdered and they are slapping the faces of the relatives of the dead.

Torturing and murdering terrorists has shown not to reduce potential terrorists, but actually increase their numbers.

Having a mass murdering criminal actually do his life sentence in jail isn't 'torturing and murdering' him. And aving him spend life in jail was merciful enough. He deserved death a few hundred times over.

You're allowed your opinion, but so am I. And I expect the US govt. to respect the decision of a sovereign nation's legal system.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

When in actual fact some were carrying scottish flags and were celebrating the compassion not the terrorist attack.

Sure, you are gloating that you scored big with the extremists. Go ahead, suck up to them.

If they celebrated compassion, they would be doing that near the Scottish diplomatic mission or UN office or place of that nature, not welcoming the terrorist.

It's cynical to assume that just because one Libyan committed mass murder, that all Libyans see him as a hero, when in fact they may be celebrating better relations between the two countries.

It is cynical for you to assume that it's OK to have large crowds bussed to the military base to give terrorist a warm welcome. It is also cynical towards those Scots who perished in this mass murder. Shame on you.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

reply to post by john124

I never agreed with you on anything (and I doubt this will ever happen again), but on this one, you hit the nail on the head.

Scotch flowing freely in Scotland or something, but this is plain wrong.

You should see past your anger....

Do you really believe that he won?? Or has your media brainwashed you so far into believing that!?

Are you agreeing that potential terrorists will feel more motivated to mass murder westerners because they may be released if they are dying of cancer?! Terrorists have other motives to commit terrorism than this 3 months to live in agony after their release.

By releasing him we are showing we are better than he was. Torturing and murdering terrorists has shown not to reduce potential terrorists, but actually increase their numbers.

I think it's time to change the tactics, and instead of stamping our feet in frustration that it's not working with the little temper tantrums of the US government, we try and improve relations with former enemies.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

When in actual fact some were carrying scottish flags and were celebrating the compassion not the terrorist attack.

Sure, you are gloating that you scored big with the extremists. Go ahead, suck up to them.

You're generalising them all as extremists. So of course they aren't going to like you.

If they celebrated compassion, they would be doing that near the Scottish diplomatic mission or UN office or place of that nature, not welcoming the terrorist.

It's cynical to assume that just because one Libyan committed mass murder, that all Libyans see him as a hero, when in fact they may be celebrating better relations between the two countries.

It is cynical for you to assume that it's OK to have large crowds bussed to the military base to give terrorist a warm welcome. It is also cynical towards those Scots who perished in this mass murder. Shame on you.

Do you know the intentions and beliefs of everybody there? You might as well just bomb them all to hell instead of labelling everybody an extremist.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join