It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Widespread Pandemic H1N1 School Outbreaks in Southern US

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

A total of 122 Camden County High School students visited the school nurse's office and several of those were sent home because they were displaying flu-like symptoms on Monday, she said.

There are also two elementary schools - Mamie Lou Gross Elementary and St. Marys Elementary - that reported sending home a high number of students home after they were confirmed to have flu-like symptoms. Mamie Lou Gross Elementary off Harrietts Bluff Road has been reporting fevers and St. Marys Elementary students are suffering from stomach symptoms.

"When I spoke with the office at Mamie Lou Gross Elementary, they had 12 students waiting to see the school nurse at that moment," Smiley said. "There have been a lot of fevers hitting these schools very hard."

Elaine Smiley, health systems coordinator for the school district, said about 10 percent of the estimated 1,000 Camden Middle School enrollment was absent Tuesday from the outbreak.

School nurses have also seen an increase in children who have flu-like symptoms, including fevers of more than 100 degrees, lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing, she said. Other symptoms include runny nose, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

www.recombinomics.com...

And so it begins.
I wonder if the children are being vaccinated yet, forcibly or willingly?

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Interesting but I live in the south and I have not heard anything in my neck of the woods so far since the school started.

Interesting also that I worked with the school system for 9 years, every new school year we got sick kids with fever all the time, many times I got vomit on my shoes from the children. I also got strep throat three times in one year and never was attributed to anything more than just a "bug"

Now everything seems to be The swine flu.

What a joke.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I give you thumbs up for this find...........and yes so it begins!

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The only thing beginning here is the propaganda! Kids get sick. Every school year marks the beginning of increased virus transmission. It's been happening like this since schools were founded. What's interesting is that this story wasn't littered with accounts of death. But I guess that will come next...
Gotta condition the sheeple to take their shots I guess.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Of course that is exactly what is happening.
Welcome aboard!

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Well, it had to start sometime. Way back in the spring, I posted that I expected it to start back up in August in the US. Guess I was right. Course back then, I thought it might have been an actual bug, not something manufactured (either viraly or via PRopaganda).

I guess we'll see how the next three months plays out. I don't expect any earth shattering life-style affecting calamities until January or maybe February, but we should have a few months of interesting phobias. I wonder if it is a good time to come out with a line of fashionable face masks?

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
I wonder if it is a good time to come out with a line of fashionable face masks?

Ah, but remember, according to the "medical professionals" face masks do nothing to protect against this.

My thoughts when I heard this were along the lines of "at least it's another obstacle to potentially block the virus".
And if they do nothing, why do they issue them to medical staff?

I doubt the school absentee rate is any higher than normal, and if it is, it's probably just the kids using it as an excuse to extend their summer holiday!
"Nurse, *cough* I feel ill" is probably all it takes to be sent home with "suspected Swine Flu" these days.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
School has started already?

What ever happened to summer vacation. Those poor kids.

It's funny this has come up. When the story first broke, the news had on some top health dude and the question was asked , what will or can we expect in the fall.

The main concern expressed was schools and the spread of infection. I have two small kids and they always get sick during the school year. It seems that schools are nothing more then free daycare centers these days. People, knowing their kids are ill, would rather dump the kids of at school as opposed to taking a day off work and letting the kids rest.

Really drives me crazy.

Anyway, this health official mentioned that they may have to have mandatory school closures just to stop the spreading.

Even recently they have been speaking of small business closures.

Honestly, are we or the economy really going to suffer if everything shuts down for a week. How about a North American wide 2 week stay at home initiative, right when the season is in full swing. This way we can control the spread and with everybody off all at once nobody loses out.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by rogerstigers
I wonder if it is a good time to come out with a line of fashionable face masks?

Ah, but remember, according to the "medical professionals" face masks do nothing to protect against this.

Oh, come on. Since when did facts get in the way of making a few bucks.. or fashion.

I agree, though. Ever since I have been active on ATS (which is much less time than I have been a member), I have grown a healthy scepticism of media reports. Everything is slanted and until we know the facts, all reports are to be taken as rumor. *shrug*

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DazE777

Honestly, are we or the economy really going to suffer if everything shuts down for a week. How about a North American wide 2 week stay at home initiative, right when the season is in full swing. This way we can control the spread and with everybody off all at once nobody loses out.

My daughter starts school monday. Yeah, summer is shorter than ever. As for why kids can't stay home and rest when they are ill? At least in Texas, you are given only a couple of absences total for the year before you are penalized as a student -- to the point of not being allowed to pass the school year, even if you do. In addition, too many "unexcused" absences earns the parents a truancy fine and a visit from CPS in some cases.

I like the idea of a two week mandatory quarantine..lol The only thing is that telecommute for the most part as does most of my office. So all it would do is get the clients off our back for two weeks while we continue to work. lol

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DazE777

My grandkids started school on August 5. Sheesh! There's still an entire months worth of going to the lake everyday to swim and play for pete's sake.
My grandson's school has been closed all this week due to H1N1. Only one confirmed case, though. The rest of the many cases, including not only students, but 19 teachers as well, are unconfirmed because the local medical personnel have been told not to test. Why? Well, if everyone tests everyone, then the system will be overloaded and the labs can't peform efficiently. Heh. So they tested the first kid, and said, yep, it's H1N1, let's close the school for a week and see what happens.

My oldest granddaughter, who goes to a different school, but in the same county, has been home all week from an illness. It's definitely flu-like. I have the same symptoms myself. Not much sense in taking her to the doctor though. It's not like she will be given any sort of tests. And, get this, last week, my grandson was one of the first to be sent home with suspected H1N1 virus. My daugther took him to the doctor, naw, no need for tests. He's sick and probably has it. Um, medical aid? Naw. Just keep him home until his fever is gone and send him back to school. And I did take him back to school in a couple of days and I was immediately called to pick him up because he coughed once. Now this week, he is fine. Playing and having a great time, a week off and not even being sick. lol.

I wonder what will happen next week? Whooping cough and closing school again? I heard on the radio this morning that whooping cough has invaded central KY as well.

I'm just going to toss this out here. Why not let the kiddies spend August, baking in the sun and enjoying themselves. Most people around here take vacations in July. And they visit other places, pick up germs and such things that they are not used to. How about keeping August as a period where these kiddies can get over it all, before crowding them into closed up school rooms?

Meanwhile, next June these kids will be held over for school well into the end of June, go on a vacation, and then return to school within just a few weeks.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Oh God, save me. Its the flu. Like every southern U.S. citizen hasn't dealth with that one before. Hide the women and children!

Nothing to see here people, move along.

Season flu stats from: www.cdc.gov...
Every year in the United States, on average:

5% to 20% of the population gets the flu;
more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu-related complications; and
about 36,000 people die from flu-related causes.

H1N1 graph of infection/mortality:
en.wikipedia.org...:Influenza-2009-cases-logarithmic-2.png

Season flu kills approximately 36,000 people per year.
Swine flu hasn't killed 2,000 in its entire existence yet based on the information I obtained.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
This might sound horrible but, if this # is going to happen I want it to start already.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
They're not being vaccinated. Forcibly or willingly. The vaccine hasn't been significantly tested, and/or approved in the US.

Besides, once these children, or anyone for that matter, are infected with H1N1, any vaccine will have no effect. Period.

"And so it begins" means what? The beginning of the fall outbreak? Or the beginning of the mass vaccinations?

-Dev

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Funny timing, maybe. I know that the mayor of Bham is supposed to go to court soon and his two co-defendants just left him high and dry when they plead guilty.. Also there have been talks of bringing in the National Guard next month due to the budget problems.. and a good few banks closed here this week. Dunno, just seems like too much going on for it all to be coincidence...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I think that this is/could rapidly turn into hysteria with the growing view that everyone who feels faintly ill has swine flu. I already think this is a serious problem over here in the UK where people call an information hotline and are diagnosed over the phone by a call centre worker who has a list of symptoms. I also remember reading some estimate that less than 10% of people being prescribed Tamiflu actually have H1N1. Even more disturbing, people are being misdiagnosed on the hotline and even in doctors clinics, and there have been numerous cases of serious conditions being passed off as swine flu. I know that at least two people have died after having meningitis mistaken for swine flu from more than one source.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Forgot to mention, they said they would be treating ALL cases as swine flu, whether it actually is or not (when i say "they" I mean the news). Just seems like they are trying as hard as they can to boost the numbers on paper. They are also blaming another death on the virus in Montgomery (where colonial was seated):

www.waff.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Camden County is the bordering county south of the County of Glynn that I live in.

It was reported yesterday that 2 students in Jacksonville, FL. have swine flu. That's 70 miles from my home.

I Have talked with friends in Camden County and what you are hearing is a fact.

Many children there are from military families as the Kings Bay Nuclear Submarine base is located there.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
[edit on 22-8-2009 by A por uvas]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I live in the south and my children have been home from school all week. They start with fever, each of them spiking to about 103 degrees (which I have never dealt with and all
my children are VERY healthy).

After three days of fever they developed a pretty bad cough. My son was the first and he is going on day number six. Besides his cough, he is feeling much better and going stir crazy because I have kept him "quarantined" to his room.

I did take them to the Doctor and had them tested and it WAS NOT swine flu. I've also learned that quite a few other's from their school have been sick with high fever, also, and the parents who I have talked to said their children were tested and it WAS NOT swine flu.

Oh, and BTW, even though they felt really bad when their fever was high, once I brought the fever down, they were really fine, maybe kind of tired but I had no problem keeping them hydrated and of course I fed them all the fun stuff like jello,sprite and popsicles.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join