It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chechen rebels say they blew up Russian dam

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Chechen rebels say they blew up Russian dam

www.reuters.com

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Chechen fighters said in a letter posted on a rebel website that they had used an anti-tank grenade to cause a disaster at a massive dam in Siberia this week presumed to have killed over 70 people.
"Glory to Allah, on August 17 through our efforts, a subversive operation was carried out in Khakasia at the Sayano-Shushenskaya hydro-electric dam," said the letter from a group calling itself the Martyrs' Battalion.

"In the machine hall we managed to plant an anti-tank grenade with a timer, the blast of which caused much stronger damage than we could have hoped for," sa
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
alertnet.org

Update:

Russia Denies Chechen Claims of Responsibility for Siberian Dam Disaster
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Chechen rebels claimed responsibility on Friday for a Siberian dam disaster as part of an economic war against Russia, but the Kremlin dismissed the claim and financial markets ignored it.

The claims posted on the unofficial Islamist rebel website www.kavkazcenter.com contradicted experts and officials, who said dilapidated Soviet-era infrastructure was to blame for a water surge at Russia's biggest hydroelectric dam on Monday which killed up to 75 people.

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin visited the stricken Sayano- Shushenskaya dam in southern Siberia on Friday, inspecting the damage, speaking to rescue workers and consoling relatives.

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 8/21/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Terrorists blew the damn with an antitank grenade..
Maybe the dam broke and they Russian Govt. blames it on the terrorists..

Im guessing that getting an AT grenade isnt too hard for terrorists, but why would they want to take out a dam?

One reason for taking out dams could be to create floodings and take away power..

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Posted Update. Scroll up .

[edit on 21/8/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Well if they really did it, and it was a big damn it'll obvious kill many people, destroy millions to billions of dollars in property and render a multi billion dollar damn useless.

Pretty good terrorist attack considering an ATG probably cost under $300.

Eh, not saying the attack was good, just saying it was efficient.

[edit on 8/21/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Next Al Quaeda or Chechen Rebels will say there responsible for Chernobyl blowing up.
It was just simply an industrial accident.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Of course they blew it up...with an anti-tank grenade supplied to them by the Iranians Revolutionary Guard. Those wacky Iranians are really putting in some overtime trying to piss people off.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
It sounds like its plausible - an opportunistic sort of sabotage attack that was more destructive than expected.

I very much doubt that they expected to rupture a massive dam and flood a huge area with a single anti tank grenade - more like cause expensive damage and interrupt power supply (it's was a hydro electric dam right?)

I reckon it was more of a case of well we managed to get this thing in, now where's a good place to stick it? - this looks good, right shove it in there and lets disappear.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

All the movements that seek to establish an Islamic state where one doesn't currently exist are getting support from Iran...it's what they do. They help Hezbollah, they help Hamas and they help the Chechens. Its the modus operandi of the Islamic Republic.

Besides their are ancient familial ties between those particular Russians and the Iranians. I think they are descendants of Xerxes troops when they ventured into the area chasing after the Scythians.

I also remember a New York Times photo from 2002 that showed a pair of Chechen rebels along with a woman dressed in the traditional outfit of the Iranian woman. The Black outfit where only the eyes can be seen. It was a powerful photo...I wanted to save it but lost it...I think the Chechens were annoucing their intentions to start a war, or claiming responsibility for that Theater hostage situation or something...the males were carrying assault rifles and the woman was carrying a small handgun.

Anyway...the Iranians are doing all of this...I suppose it would be more appropriate to say that Reza Pahlavi is doing it.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

They wouldnt plant an explosive device in an dam if the intent were not to blow it up.
Maybe like you say, they have no clue how powerful an ATG can be, and that shows they are amateurs.. Not expert Terrorists..

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I'm highly skeptical with respect to these claims, for many reasons. The Chechen rebels are becoming less relevant as time passes, and they clasp any chance to boost their diminishing publicity.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Ssshhhh! We don't call them them terrorists anymore!

They're freeeedom fighters now! These are the good guys! It's us that are the bad guys!

I can't believe you didn't know already?

We're the Evil Empire! Darth Vader is sitting in his throne in Jerusalem (probably munching on some poor Palestinian kid's kidney), and these poor Chechen b*stards are the rebel alliance! If you look closely you'll find Luke Skywalker running around somewhere with a laser gun - pew pew!

[edit on 21-8-2009 by mattpryor]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattpryor
Ssshhhh! We don't call them them terrorists anymore!

They're freeeedom fighters now! These are the good guys! It's us that are the bad guys!

I can't believe you didn't know already?

We're the Evil Empire! Darth Vader is sitting in his throne in Jerusalem (probably munching on some poor Palestinian kid's kidney), and these poor Chechen b*stards are the rebel alliance! If you look closely you'll find Luke Skywalker running around somewhere with a laser gun - pew pew!

[edit on 21-8-2009 by mattpryor]

Well, luke dont have his Light Saber, NASA sent it out in space, and that isnt even a joke !! Nasa sent it out in space ..

Posted Update. Scroll up .

[edit on 21/8/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by IDK88
Of course they blew it up...with an anti-tank grenade supplied to them by the Iranians Revolutionary Guard. Those wacky Iranians are really putting in some overtime trying to piss people off.

You sure like to make up stories a lot, eh?

Last time I checked, the Chechen rebels are allied with Al Queda. Al Queda is an enemy of Iran. Iran is a friend of Russia.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Al Qaeda isn't the enemy of Iran. Remember that movie 300...Well Al Qaeda is that Monster the Immortals led about on chains and let loose on Leonidas. Al Qaeda would certainly eat Iran if given the opportunity but they are kept in check just like any Monster.

After the Pahlavi's started operating from the United States in 1980 or so they obviously used CIA resources to create the Beast we know call Al Qaeda and they unleashed it in 1996. But for you to accept this...you'd have to understand the entire Iranian Revolution was a fabrication and the Pahlavi Shah's never really lost power and have been and still are in control of Iran. The Supreme Council of Mullahs is just some sort of caretaker operation that's just keeping watch over things while their fearless leader is in the field.

It's sort of like when Pope Leo lied to Charlemagne and told him that the Romans were gonna put out his eyes and pull out his tongue. It was all a lie...they just needed a Scythian Lord to legitamize the rule of the Roman Empire...the same thing the Iranians and their Shah need now. Get It?

Or are any of you even aware of how Persia became a world power in its ancient past?

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
They are NOt "rebels". They are like some bunch of wild animals with no rule. They have been offered multiple solutions but all they want is to fight, and to get some independence that they DONT deserve (and in case they would get it, they would be recorded as the shorthest-lived country ever). Never talk about realities that you don't know.
I do respect separatism, i AM a separatist. But i HATE violence towards innocent people. Chechnya wants to get independent using streght, this is a no - no in Russia, Russia is entitled to take every action to stop them.

Do you know what they have been able to do in BESLAN?
en.wikipedia.org...
Do you really want to talk to ME after you seize a school with 780 CHILDREN? No. BULLETS is what you must wait for, from left, right everywhere. Do you want me to link some behading scene? I don't because first i do respect T&C, second you can U2U me if you are that curious. Do you wanna know what they did to some 20 YO soldiers that were there not knowing even why they were there?
OR

Chechen rebels were known to practice beheading against the captured Russian Army soldiers during the First Chechen War and the Second Chechen War. Four Western telecommunication workers (three Britons and a New Zealander) who were taken hostage for ransom in Chechnya in 1998, were eventually beheaded and their heads were found on a side of a road[8]. In 1999, a beheading video was widely circulated on the internet, depicting a Russian soldier being beheaded by Chechen rebels.

en.wikipedia.org...
If you are planning to do some documentary on it, then listen to me before: CHANGE your plans and carry on. They are even unable to distinguish betweene good guys and bad ones: all they deserve is bullet and fire, end of story.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Hot Dam

Hubba Hubba CB

(sorry)

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

They are NOt "rebels".

By my definition, a rebel is somebody who fights their national government so their own home territory can achieve independence. That is what I see from the Chechens.

Indeed, Chechen rebels are brutal, but Russians can be just the same to them. Russia pounded Grozny with artillery, rockets and incendiary weapons before they moved in troops (I think this was the first war). However both sides want the aggressiveness from the other for one reason or another, so it works out.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

In all fairness, before the real war broke out, ethnic Russians were driven out of Chechnya by overt threats and actual violence. If you don't like ethnic cleansing, you wouldn't like that.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by IDK88

Isn't Iran allied with Russia? Why would they aid an attack on part of the reason their still safe.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Russians are not just as the same of them. Russians are worse. Way worse. But if we really want to understand the problem, then whe must know what happened in the past, who is asking what and how he did it: there are many ways to claim your right to be independent: we know shiny examples like IRA or ETA, despite of ther violence i can't feel myself being towards them. I KNOW what they feel. But they've tried in the past to talk with their governments. Their governments simply replied that "they don't make business with terrorists".
So we have two sides that don't want to talk each other.
But Chechnya is DIFFERENT. The people who are leading them are extremely dangerous ones, Russia has been even too much nice towards them. You CANNOT wake up one morning and claim to be some sovereign nation, and of course you can't do that by KILLING CHILDRENS.
What is paradoxical, is that if you ask to Chechens, no one of them is interested to become independent. So, what i meant is that they are NOT "rebels" in the nice meaning of tyhe term: they are less than animals, but much less. Sorry if it came out the wrong way.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join