It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beer-Drinking Model Demands Public Caning

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

Just because someone doesn't have the same beliefs as me, I don't believe in caning someone for having a beer, and they do...that has nothing to do with my emotions. It has to do with condoning violence on another human being. I could be wrong and they could be right, but I'll stick to my own opinion.

It has to do with your emotion because you only think about caning, not its effect, not the reason behind caning, not the defects of alcohol etc etc. So if you are only focusing on something which emotionaly makes you go oohh, then that is emotional.

Let me make this simple, someone kills your son in self defense, you only think about the killing of your son and you state that it is wrong. That is emotional thinking.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Violence is a tool of last resort.
You still have not answered any of my questions.
Answer them and we will go from there.
Constructively I hope.
I am willing to leave emotions at the door.
Are you?

[edit on 8/22/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

Is it right to beat someone to a pulp?
How about lopping off limbs?
Caning?
Is it wrong to kill people?

All of these can be right or wrong depending on the conditions. All can have positive and negative effects, not just to humans, but everything surrounding us.

Is it wrong to hold everyone on earth accountable to your religion?

No
Just like bloods and crips who can force you to wear or not to wear certain colors, this is the same. A bunch of control freaks who want to impose their own ideas on others.

How about to disown a family member?
All in the name of.....

Once again just like a person who looses it and kill his girlfriend for cheating, this is the same. Emotions go high.

I'm in no position to claim what is right and what is wrong, I can only compare and contrast, and I can only reflect on those issues. So let's continue.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

............................ Emotions go high.

I'm in no position to claim what is right and what is wrong, I can only compare and contrast, and I can only reflect on those issues. So let's continue.

My point exactly.
You have illustrated it for me.
If you read my Original Reply to this thread, you will see that most of my remarks are in the forms of questions.
I am attempting to compare, contrast & reflect on those issues.
As you so eloquently stated.
To me, it makes no sense.
I also offered a potential reason why. Myself being an infidel.
I would like to think of human beings as better than this.
The point remains, we are not.
Just as there has been a disagreement between you and me, we have risen above it and at least attempted to compare, contrast, & reflect on those issues.
Where is that for this woman?
It is only after the fact that anyone will, reflect.
The beating is coming regardless though.

[edit on 8/22/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

To me, it makes no sense. I also offered a potential reason why. Myself being an infidel. I would like to think of human beings as better than this. The point remains, we are not. Just as there has been a disagreement between you and me, we have risen above it and at least attempted to compare, contrast, & reflect on those issues. Where is that for this woman?

Which part of the issue doesn't make sense? The part where she is caned for drinking alcohol?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Yes.
I cannot find anything to compare to it that makes sense to me.
That is my opinion and I am entitled to it.
Again, all in the name of......
The fact that the person is a guest in that country, should also carry some weight.
Once again, where is the compare, contrast, reflection?
She is being made an example out of no doubt, but then again, that's just my opinion.
Personally, I would Like to hear, if you think she deserves it or not, and your reasons for believing so.

[edit on 8/23/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

It has to do with your emotion because you only think about caning, not its effect, not the reason behind caning, not the defects of alcohol etc etc. So if you are only focusing on something which emotionaly makes you go oohh, then that is emotional. Let me make this simple, someone kills your son in self defense, you only think about the killing of your son and you state that it is wrong. That is emotional thinking.

How is it that you presume to know what I think? I for one am not ruled by my emotions, I do however believe that caning a person for having a beer is not justified in the world where civilized human beings live. Be she a Muslim or not.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

I could not agree with you more.

oozyism:
Perhaps someone should cane all of us for participating in this discussion.
In certain areas of the world, this is extremely forbidden.
I, for one am up for a good beating.
As far as I am concerned, there is no difference.

Now for the clincher.
WHO WOULD NOT HAVE AN EMOTIONAL RESPONSE TO THE DEATH OF FAMILY?
((Besides a sociopath))?

Where is the emotional involvement in the consumption of an alcoholic beverage.
Is the drinking of alcohol by a woman the pinnacle of emotional development for a certain group?
Should we all be that narrow?
Lets call this what it is.
A reason to abuse another human being.

"YODA"
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.
Mythical figure, but oh so poignant.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   

I drink to your opinion, you are entitled to it, ....would you like some bubble gum?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

YES! I am on her side. Of course it should be done in public, to demonstrate how evil, abusive and controlling it is.

How dare some stupid country impose these rules on an individual.

People have the right to live and to be free.

It is countries like this that are condemning the whole world to hell.

I salute this lady.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc
reply to post by oozyism

Yes.
I cannot find anything to compare to it that makes sense to me.
Again, all in the name of......
The fact that the person is a guest in that country, should also carry some weight.
Once again, where is the compare, contrast, reflection?
She is being made an example out of no doubt, but then again, that's just my opinion.
Personally, I would Like to hear, if you think she deserves it or not, and your reasons for believing so.

reply to post by Oatmeal

Reply to both of you
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have personal experience with drinking, specially here in New Zealand where bench drinking is the culture. You know what bench drinking is? That is when you basically sit down on a bench and drink, till you are gone.

I have crashed twice, luckily haven't killed anyone, both times drunk, both cars damaged beyond repair, both times fined more than a thousand New Zealand dollars. Being a full time student I'm still trying to finish the payments. I have had countless fights while drunk, for apparently no reason they say. Once I got pissed off for no reason and started beating up my good friend while drinking in town, it was a bloody night. This is not just me, it is most people who drink. People with certain characteristics, if drink excessively would make them violent and intolerant.

Now you may argue just like the TV in New Zealand that it is not drinking, it is the way you drink. But once again if you do not have drinking experience then you don't know what you are talking about. Me when I drink 2-3 beer I start smoking Cigarettes heavily and makes me wanna drink more. I can't help but drink. They say don't drink and drive, well I drunk and I wasn't planing on driving but I did. I almost killed an old man. The point is, drinking has its disadvantages, people can decide to ban it if they wish, and they can decide to implement "corporal punishment" if they wish, me and you are not in any position to state whether they are right or wrong.

Because having this punishment for one makes people stop drinking which in result avoids a set of other negative effects hence motor accidents etc.

Does she deserve it, well the law is set for a reason, based on those reason yes I do think she deserves it.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by oozyism]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

It is not about deserving it, it is about the law. The law in New Zealand doesn't ban drinking, so in that sense I'm not in any wrong doing here. If I go to Malaysia I wouldn't drink.

Don't blame me, blame the law. People make mistakes, the law is there to make it distasteful for the average citizen to make those mistakes.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I have crashed twice, luckily haven't killed anyone, both times drunk, both cars damaged beyond repair, both times fined more than a thousand New Zealand dollars. Being a full time student I'm still trying to finish the payments. I have had countless fights while drunk, for apparently no reason they say. Once I got pissed off for no reason and started beating up my good friend while drinking in town, it was a bloody night. This is not just me, it is most people who drink. People with certain characteristics, if drink excessively would make them violent and intolerant.

Sounds like you are a very young man with a terrible problem with alcohol. I hope you get help. Check out some Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, they are supposed to help. Your difficulties handling alcohol do not relate to this woman's difficulty. You see it is perfectly legal to consume alcohol in Maylaysia, unless you are a Muslim. She is choosing to be Punished in Public to show others how stupid the law is. This woman wasn't "Bench Drinking" or Driving a car while under the influence. Her "crime" was being Muslim, and having a Beer, That's all. I'll bet you were drinking while typing your last post. Please do get yourself some help...

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

This is not just me, it is most people who drink. People with certain characteristics, if drink excessively would make them violent and intolerant.

It is not "most people who drink." These people are known as alcoholics...

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Yeah, well if drinking was banned in NZ everyone would drink more and go totally over the top - which they are anyway.

This lady had a beer - OH, gasp, and why isn't her own country stepping in here and saying do not do that???

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Yeah, well if drinking was banned in NZ everyone would drink more and go totally over the top - which they are anyway.

Yes, they tried that here in America , and Yes, people went totally over the top as you say, Al Capone style....

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

Yes, when anything is banned, it is all in criminal hands.

But I still say, death to who beats her in public.

How dare they, and how dare we let them?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oatmeal

Sounds like you are a very young man with a terrible problem with alcohol. I hope you get help. Check out some Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, they are supposed to help. Your difficulties handling alcohol do not relate to this woman's difficulty. You see it is perfectly legal to consume alcohol in Maylaysia, unless you are a Muslim. She is choosing to be Punished in Public to show others how stupid the law is. This woman wasn't "Bench Drinking" or Driving a car while under the influence. Her "crime" was being Muslim, and having a Beer, That's all. I'll bet you were drinking while typing your last post. Please do get yourself some help...

Sounds like you have no social life

Anyways, once again she knew the law, she broke the law and now she is being punished for it.

Now once again, it seems you don't understand the complexity of the issue. Why is there a drinking culture in NZ? Do you know? Because alcohol is available.

While most New Zealanders enjoy alcohol in moderation most of the time, there are negative health and social consequences associated with drinking. Negative consequences include hospital admissions, deaths, road accidents and assaults.

Alcohol is the most commonly used recreational drug in New Zealand. Approximately 81 percent of New Zealanders between the ages of 12 and 65 years reported consuming alcohol within a 12 month period as part of a 2004 Ministry of Health alcohol use survey.

Binge drinking is the most significant and common aspect of overall alcohol misuse, and these behaviours cross all socio-economic groups. The New Zealand Health Survey found that 17.7 percent of us are hazardous drinkers . ALAC’s Alcohol Monitor classifies 25 percent of New Zealanders as binge drinkers . Additionally, certain groups are disproportionately impacted by alcohol misuse (young people, Pacific and Mäori communities). Also, alcohol misuse has especially adverse effects on unborn children.

* There are no health benefits of drinking alcohol before middle age. Most of the benefits of alcohol consumption accrue in the elderly. The benefits are associated with regular low volume intake, and risks associated with heavy drinking persist into old age.
* The pattern of drinking is very important in determining the health effects of alcohol consumption. The pattern of drinking has a major influence on both benefits and harm.
* Injury is responsible for about half of all alcohol-attributable deaths and almost three-quarters of the years of life lost due to alcohol. Even amongst low volume drinkers, there are increased risks of injury associated with alcohol.
* There is a huge burden of disability due to alcohol use disorders.
* The health burden of alcohol falls inequitably on Mäori. The combination of more harmful drinking patterns and a smaller proportion of the population in the older age groups where benefits accrue, means that the Mäori population is more adversely affected by alcohol than the non-Mäori population.

Now you made me post all of this information, please tell me you understand or I'm going to call my cat

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Better call your cat...And I have a great Social Life Thank You, as if that has anything to do with the OP. You are trying to turn the OP into a Social Piece on the Evils of Alcohol. We have all the exact same problems here in the States that you have in NZ. The OP is about one lady, having one beer in a Hotel Bar. A Hotel Bar where it is perfectly Legal for anyone of age to have a Beer, Except if you are Muslim. If you happen to be Muslim, and have a Beer, apparently the Punishment for this is six lashes with a rattan cane. This is just wrong. The woman would like to have her "caning" in public to bring attention to the fact that this particular law is just stupid. And you didn't deny having a drink when posting your previous post...

Now once again, it seems you don't understand the complexity of the issue. Why is there a drinking culture in NZ? Do you know? Because alcohol is available.

This is NOT the issue of the OP.
This OP is not about NZ...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join