It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beer-Drinking Model Demands Public Caning

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Beer-Drinking Model Demands Public Caning

www.newser.com

A Malaysian model sentenced to caning for drinking beer wants her punishment carried out in public, CNN reports. Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, 32, will be the first woman to be flogged for alcohol consumption in the Muslim-majority nation. "Let's be transparent" about the punishment, Kartika has insisted. Her father said a public caning will "challenge" the punishment. "They say they are gentlemen who want to uphold values. Then the public should judge how gentlemanly it is," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.silobreaker.com
hosted.ap.org
www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
WoW! Six strokes with a cane, for having a Beer! I would be a bloody pulp by now. I have to say this poor woman is doing the right thing by asking that "The Caning" take place in Public. Let the community see what happens to all those Muslim Beer drinkers who think the can come over to Maylasia for a cold one. Then the public should judge how gentlemanly it is. The thing is if the woman had been a Buddhist, Christian or Hindu, she could suck down all the suds she wanted to without fear. Is this ridiculous?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6d7c4ea69d29.jpg[/atsimg]

www.newser.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-8-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
There's no law against Muslims drinking alcohol in Singappore. I live there so I would know. This is in Malaysia if you read the article.

As a Muslim, I don't condone the punishment but seriously, if you're gonna break a damn law that applies to you, you should be smarter going about it. IMO, a hefty fine should've been enough.

Oddly enough had she been a guy, this wouldn't have made the news.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by d2che

There's no law against Muslims drinking alcohol in Singappore. I live there so I would know. This is in Malaysia if you read the article.

Sorry, just got the countries backwards, it must be that "Blinding Background" in my avatar...fixed, thanks...

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by d2che

If she had been a Buddhist, Christian or Hindu, she would have been perfectly O.K. !!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Too bad she doesn't live in a "free" society... and she's hot. We need more models like her in the U.S.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
she'd risk all that for a beer?
sigh. (bats eyelashes)

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
of course oatmeat knows that to be fact and knows every single christian or buddhist culture, community and laws there is to know, yes of course..

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
By that count.. I need 36 lases just for tonight!

These Muslim countries really need to work on their progressive side.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Dumb laws made by dumb people, what did you expect?

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by hardpounding

of course oatmeat knows that to be fact and knows every single christian or buddhist culture, community and laws there is to know, yes of course..

I don't exactly understand what you are trying to say, but my information is taken from the sources supplied...

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

I thought this was an interesting and insightful story, thank you very much for posting it Oatmeal.

This is a barbaric punishment to be sure. There's no denying that it is cruel and humiliating and to be perfectly honest has no place in the modern world. I realise that some people think this is a western-centric point of view, but this is not justice in any form and countries that retain the legal power to do this to its own citizens need to reform, urgently.

Same goes for stoning, crucifixion, flogging, or any other form of cruel and unusual punishment. I don't care what it's for (in this case the crime seems trivial to me, but I wouldn't wish to judge what is and what is not acceptable to different cultures). My issue is with the form of punishment.

I think it's fantastic that she's demanding the sentence gets carried out in public, and this is a testament to how the world is going to change for the better thanks to increased transparency through technology.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
the difference between this and locking someone up for months for having a joint is what, exactly?

both are cruel and unusual punishments for crimes that are based in fear and prejudice.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Agreed... but .. we can't talk about that....

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Actually now you mention it I'm not sure which is the less humane - 6 lashings are over pretty quickly and will heal, but the months of your life you lose in prison can never be given back.

Good point.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Extremely good point. star to you

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

I think it's fantastic that she's demanding the sentence gets carried out in public, and this is a testament to how the world is going to change for the better thanks to increased transparency through technology.

the difference between this and locking someone up for months for having a joint is what, exactly? both are cruel and unusual punishments for crimes that are based in fear and prejudice.

Thank You, those are my thoughts exactly....

[edit on 21-8-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
bobylove321 You say dumb laws made by dumb people, but laws are based on the moral grounding of the society of those who make them.

Some of the offences that we in the west would condone to the very core are perfectly normal practice in other cultures and vice versa.

I don't agree with the lady being punished, but I am viewing it from my cultural perspective. If I was raised in that culture I may view the subject differently.

Who says that our moral standing is the right one?

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by d2che

As a Muslim, I don't condone the punishment but seriously, if you're gonna break a damn law that applies to you, you should be smarter going about it. IMO, a hefty fine should've been enough.

The issue is that the law only applies to muslims...
Now that's rich...

This isn't a situation of a broken law, it's a situation of an unequal system of law therefore it is criminal in itself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join