It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debt collectors abuse people in NY [VIDEO]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Debt collectors abuse people in NY [VIDEO]

www.cnn.com

This is a video
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-8-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Ok, what's really scary is that that I see the attitude of the second abuser to be prevalent here on ATS.

The caller said "You are Ghetto, why don't you get an education instead of sitting around all day on your fat derrier mooching off the rest of us?"

Wow... yeah, that's how people see it sometimes.

It's a shame not only that people would say this, but also that many people believe it. Talk about misanthropic....

Anyway... don't be intimidated, as you can see this is simply a ploy to try to do milk money out of you.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-8-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

That's horrible that people would speak to anyone like that. It seems almost as if they are trained to talk to people like that. I'm guessing that these must be the companies that buy the debt of another company, that feel they have the right to speak to people like that.

I hope the company that's being sued has to pay a pretty penny for that kind of abuse they allow their employees to dish out. Maybe if they have to pay enough out of their own pocket they'll calm their employees down some.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Its common for some debt collectors to do this.

I remember when I first joined the military and was assigned to Fort Huachuca I was rooming with a guy. We shared his phone line and split the bill.

When he left 6 months after I got there we just put the line in my name and kept the same number. About a month after he left I got a call from a guy who was a collector for a 900 phone company(sex line).

It turns out that my roomate ran up a substantial debt with these guys and they were trying to pin it on me as it was now my phone line. They would call me at all hours of the night calling me a sick pervert, a loser who couldn't get a real girl , telling me they would contact my supervisor, ruin my credit and a whole bunch of other stuff.

It didn't matter that I told them I wasn't the one who made these calls. It went on like this for a day or two and I took my supervisor to the phone company, we contacted the company and told them if they harrased me again then we would seek legal action.

They never called again.

I closed out the account with the phone company and have lived with a cell phone ever since.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

That's a hell of a story 10 stars for you sir

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by themaster1

Wheres my star, I earned it

People hear debt collector and they freak out. The collectors know this and use these tactics to get their money. If people would listen to some of those lawyer commercials about debt collectors calling then they would realize that what they are doing is borderline illegal.

If one calls you just say that you do not want them to call you again and to send a statement in the mail. When that statement comes in you can call in to dispute the charges. If they call again then they are harrassing you and breaking the law.

These tactics work well on young and old people.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
That behavior is actually illegal. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act prohibits abusive language and behavior. This link is to the Wiki article on it, but the sources are listed at the bottom. It lists what is allowed and what isn't allowed.

I couldn't get the video in the OP to play (my computer is acting up right now), so I don't know exactly what was said in it, but based on the OP's description, it sounds like it likely is illegal. I also don't know if it was mentioned if the debt that the calls were about were current or not, but there are some hideous companies that will buy up old debts and try to collect on them. I had that happen once.

I had a pager back in the mid/late 90's and paid my bill on time every month until the contract came up for renewal. I chose not to renew because I was getting a cell phone. The contract ran out with a clear balance and was forgotten. Years later (around 2006 or 07) I started getting calls from a bill collector who finally after lots of argument told me what they were trying to collect on. Turned out, it was the pager that was completely paid off and had the clear balance. Apparently, the company bought up huge amounts of old accounts from the pager company and were trying to collect on any money that might have still been owed. Problem was, they were also trying to collect from accounts that didn't owe and get them to double pay. I finally got them to go away, but I have lawyers in the family and one of them helped do that on my behalf.

The company that did that has a nasty reputation. I looked them up on Rip-off Report and found out that they had been to court over this practice numerous times and shut down numerous times. They would just come back with a new name and continue on. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Anyhow, hopefully the list from the Wiki article might help out anyone else who might be dealing with bad debt collectors.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Payment Pan. lol, sorry.

Well c'mon you've seen those people who go around saying mindless crap.

I work at store, and see hundreds of people come in saying "you got thas good what with it". I simply just look at them in astonishment as they think they've just made a sentence.

Now I do keep it in my head.

But god, I don't go leaving messages as a debt collector.

If your a debt collector your job is to collect a debt, not critical and personally attack someone.

It's a profession act *Snip* professional.

If they talk like that, it may be like making fun of a person with a lisp, or an asian for lice rice.

It's just uncalled for, in any way.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/21/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I've dealt with guys like this before. They were calling here, and I picked up the phone.. It went like this

"Sir if you don't pay up we'll have to go get the old italian way."

"First of all I find that offensive being italian myself..Second of all I don't handle the bills " (They called for my mother.)

-Click click click click"

"Sir could you pay attention when I'm talking?"

"Oh don't mind me. I'm just getting ready for your visit. Want me to take a message or are you going to be here soon?"

-Me pushing a clip into my rifle (empty) and pulling the bolt carrier back, letting it slam forward.-

"You know just knock a couple times when you get here.."

-Dial tone.-
Ever since, they haven't called back here, and the company looking to get paid has since handled their debt collection through more proffessional methods.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Same thing happened to my cousin about 4 years ago. It was collectors for Meir & Franks( also known as Macys). They told her there was a warrant for her arrest and if she didn't give them her CC # then the police would be on their way and they would take away her kids. Her being only 20, she was really scared and thought her kids would be taken away, so she ran out her house and hurried down to police precinct to try and clear up the issue with her supposed warrant, only to find out that was not one. Everyone was trying to tell her that they can't do that and she could sue. She's a single working mom, so it just didn't seem to be worth her time.

That's the first time that I heard of collectors doing such things and my brother used to be a collector so I heard some outrages stories, but they stoop to new lows when they bring your kids into it.

Isn't capitalism great!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Wow, this is crazy. It's a lot more frequent than I would have expected!

@jd140 I starred you :-) I've actually been to Huachuca myself. GREELY HALL!

This is just a shame. As you mentioned Chise, it looks like these people are trained to do "whatever it takes" to collect.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Wow, I don't believe the first lady in the video actually gave the collector her bank number, so he could do a direct transfer. That was absolutely nuts. How did she really know he was a collector from that company?

I have never given anyone who has called me credit card, debit card, or check. I don't trust them. If I could pay, I still wouldn't give them anything. Hang up, and call the company using a number you already had to begin with.

That is inviting identity theft and stolen credit card number. They took $900 I'm sure was suppose to go to rent/morgage, utility bills, food, and etc. Now she would be more in a jam not being able to pay what was necessary.

Most of the time when they say I owe a debt that I know is mine, I say sorry I don't have the money, and hang up. Enough said. Want to get into a payment plan, call the company yourself with the number you already have.

In my earlier days, I did get threatened with a law suit. I finally called their bluff, and said go ahead. I'll see you in court. They never called back.

On rare occasion when I just want to talk to someone, I'll let them stay online. I give them a big spiel (which is true by the way) about how I'm backed up on everything (digging out of it now). When they are not nice anymore, I know it is time to hang up. Before I do, I threaten that I'm thinking about going bankrupt. You would be in a long line of other collectors, which the federal government which holds my student loan is in the front. You will be competing with them.

They don't say much after that, and usually hang up themselves.

I have had very pushy people ask if I could borrow money from friends to family. I even had one that wanted to go over my budget with me. Not happening. After several years of this, I just usually hang up as soon as they say their company name or they are from collections.

I don't have the money to pay them or set up a payment plan with them. My credit is already shot, so I don't care. The only thing worse I can do to it is go bankrupt. I'm already in a payment plan with my mortgage company to get caught up. One step at a time. When I can actually get around to paying them, I'll call them.

The collector in the video had no right to threaten to take her kids. There would have been no grounds to do so. I was told by CYS that as long as I have a relatively clean home, my mortgage paid, gas, water, and electric, food in the house, and decent clothes to wear to school then I'm fine. They don't care about any other bills. The advocate that came to visit us, gave us much needed pre-treater.

Had CYS come on false claims. They had advocate come in for a month twice a week, was suppose to be three months before they officially opened the claim. They were seeing if one actually needed to be opened or not. We complied with everything they wanted, and they were gone. The claim never got opened.

I know who filed against us. The school district. I was in a fight with the principal about one of my other daughters. I got on his bad side so to speak. I told the advocate, and she understood much better the situation, and said I shouldn't have gotten the principal angry with me. A lot of parents hate this principal.

This was after the first initial visit. Yes, I underhandedly said something sneaky that I knew may draw concern, and waited to see if it would come up. It did. I was right, it really didn't turn out to be an issue at all. I hate to say it, but it did get some stuff done around the house that needed to be done for a while, such as getting the door to my bedroom actually hung instead of just leaning against the door jam. Took my husband a year to get to, but took him less than an hour to drill the hole for the knob, put the hinges on, and hang.

Yes I admit I leaked that comment not only to make sure who, but also knew it would result getting the door hung up properly.
(whistling in the wind all innocent like).

It also helped get my husband off of his duff, and find a job. There was something else that helped push him to do so. He was out of work for a year, and my pay alone was not enough. He is now happily employed with benefits, paid holidays, and eight paid vacations a year.

Anyhow, child services is not going to come after you just because you don't have a bill paid that is not the gas, water, electric, or rent/mortgage. Anyone who says any differently is full of it. Ask for their name, employee number, supervisor, and threaten lawsuit if they continue to threaten you.

Above all, know your rights. Since I have found out, I have gotten irate with collectors that called me twice in a day, and each time I ended getting an apology out of them. They know they aren't allowed to call that close together.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by Mystery_Lady]

new topics

top topics

join