It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Expected to Send Runaway Teen Home Despite Muslim Honor Killing Fears

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nasdack24k

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by intrepid

Bary, a native of Sri Lanka who turned 17 earlier this month, is neither a U.S. citizen nor a resident of Florida, so if her parents want her returned to their home in New Albany, Ohio, that likely will occur, experts said.

The Barys reportedly emigrated from Sri Lanka in 2000 to seek medical treatment for Rifqa, who lost the sight in her right eye following an accident at home.

Something tells me the state needs to take this seriously. Islam is big on physical punishment.

As a side note, I find it interesting the media is involved here at all.. If I were in her situation, I would have found a friend to stay with until 18, and just become invisible to my parents. Live under the radar for a bit, you know? It's really not all that difficult.

It's my understanding she received shelter from a pastor and that the pastor turned her over. So they probably blindly thought that the government would protect her.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I will clarify the state residency issue. Most states that I amm aware of require you to reside at a permanent address within the state for one year to be declared as a resident of the state. My baby mama moved to Florida from New Mexico, but for her to get the tuition discount at USF, she had to be a Florida resident, which required her to live here for a year. So you have to live in the state for approximately one year to be declared a resiident of the state, regardless of immigration status.

Her family has lived in Ohio for several years I believe, that in turn makes her and her family Ohio residents. Only residents of a state can take advantage of a particular states benefits even if you are a natural born citizen (i.e. tuition discounts, food stamps, emancipation statues etc..)

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
It was decided that she can stay in Florida while her parents are being investigated. The next court hearing is on September 3.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kj6754
It was decided that she can stay in Florida while her parents are being investigated. The next court hearing is on September 3.

www.foxnews.com...

When does she turn 18?

Any good lawyer could probably draw this out in the courts for a couple months so that's one possbile happy outcome.

Otherwise I assume she will just run away again when she gets back to Ohio. Why not? She's done it once. Then she only need to stay hidden a short while and she'll be 18 and safe(more or less).

Vas

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Where are all the Lefty Human Rights groups?

I bet if she had an abortion, this girl would have been taken to Fort Knox.. I'm sure there's room since its empty.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
What it looks like is that we have no laws in our country to deal with this type of situation. Too bad this story isn't getting more publicity.

We need federal laws to deal with this issue. Kids who decide to abandon Islam, and even adults, should be able to turn to the government for protection from their parents and family members.

In fact, it should be made a well publicized that here in the U.S., peoples rights to freedom of religion will be protected against mafia tactics.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
As of today, October 13th, the judge has ordered her back. So, Muslims are allowed to kill their kids for their religion but anyone else goes to prison for spanking their child for misbehaving. Got to love America, the home of the idiot government and the land of the sheeple.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Are the laws different in the States than in Canada? At 16 a child can move out.

It's 18 in the states.

This poor girl was trembling in fear last court appearance. She is so scared.

I do not understand why the Christians turned her over to the state in the first place. She should have been hid underground. They've helped to kill her. It makes me sick.

The islamic mosque that they attended have even wanted her parents to kill her or send her back to sri lanka (where she'll be killed).

And her father has already liquidated his assets and has been preparing to leave when he gets her back.

If she goes back, she will be killed.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
If they do not emancipate her, hopefully they will place her in foster care. It's obvious she fears abuse/death if sent back home. I just can't see child protective services sending her back home given that...heck, kids get put in foster care all the time simply because they got a well deserved spanking.

CPS in Ohio has already investigated and favors sending the girl back home. If she goes back to Ohio, she will be sent home. She will be killed.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
As of today, October 13th, the judge has ordered her back. So, Muslims are allowed to kill their kids for their religion but anyone else goes to prison for spanking their child for misbehaving. Got to love America, the home of the idiot government and the land of the sheeple.

I still do not understand why the Christians turned her over to the government. Apparently, they were ignorant of how the government really is and naively expected them to do the right thing??

The court basically gave her a death sentence.

We may never learn what happened to her though. The media doesn't like to say things bad about the "religion of peace." Honor killings are ignored.

I'm really sad and scared for her. She has been so scared that she has been trembling in fear and ill. Now she goes home to be killed.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
17 is old enough to be empancipated.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
She won't be killed back at her home.

They'll get her out of the country knowing they're being watched, and do it somewhere else.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
She won't be killed back at her home.

They'll get her out of the country knowing they're being watched, and do it somewhere else.

Yes, most likely.

The father has liquidated assets, so they'll probably leave the country as soon as they get her back.

I hope she manages to run away again before that happens, and this time stays hidden.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
So sad that she will a victim of the so called "honor killing".

This reminds of a local story from over a year ago when a Muslim man killed her daughters for dating non-Muslim boys.
A taxi cab driver that killed his daughters and immediately fled the country.

One of the teen sisters shot and left for dead in a taxicab dialed 911 for help, telling the operator "I'm dying," according to a call released by Texas police on Wednesday.

article

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Looks, like she hasn't been sent to Ohio, and probably won't for awhile. Even then, she will go to a foster home, not to her parents house.

This is good news. As a nation, we need to write some laws to protect kids in similar situations. These honor killings are in my opinion one of the most heinous of crimes I have heard of.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Gov. Charlie Crist (R) said, "The first and only priority of my administration is the safety and well-being of this child." Marco Rubio, Crist's opponent in a GOP primary for a U.S. Senate seat, also urged state leaders "to use every legal tool at their disposal to properly evaluate Rifqa's best interests."

"The case in Florida began as a television event," said Craig McCarthy, a former attorney for Rifqa's mother in Orlando. "It could have been dismissed on Day One." As courts in Orlando and Columbus, Ohio, wrestle over which state has jurisdiction, Rifqa remains in Orlando in foster care. On Tuesday, an Orlando judge ruled Rifqa should return to Ohio, although no timeline was set, and when she does return she will remain in foster care.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join