It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Expected to Send Runaway Teen Home Despite Muslim Honor Killing Fears

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Court Expected to Send Runaway Teen Home Despite Muslim Honor Killing Fears

www.foxnews.com

A 17-year-old girl who fled to Florida after converting from Islam to Christianity will almost certainly be forced to return home to Ohio, experts say -- despite her fears that she will become the victim of an honor killing for abandoning her parents' faith.

Rifqa Bary, who hitchhiked to an Ohio bus station earlier this month and took a charter bus to Orlando, remains in protective custody with Florida's Department of Children and Families. A judge is expected to rule Friday on the jurisdiction of the case...

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

She converted to Christianity and ran away from home when her Father discovered her secret.
Now a judge is expected to rule on Friday that she must be returned to her parents, where she is sure to be killed in the name of "honor".

Somebody explain this to me like I'm a 4 year old.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Are the laws different in the States than in Canada? At 16 a child can move out.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
It seems to me that perhaps TPTB want her to go back and face the possibility of honor killing. I'm sure there is a political agenda behind this, as 17 is considered legal adult in many states...even, get this...OHIO

wiki.answers.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
If she is dead to her Father, why will she be forced to go back to him?

People need to remember this judge's name.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
She could ask for an emancipation.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
For us in Texas the age is 18 but this is from the article for Ohio:

If she is sent back to Ohio, Bary will not be allowed to live on her own, since the state does not have an emancipation statute.

Then the state of adulthood for Ohio is 18.

codes.ohio.gov...

[edit on 8/20/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Then the state of adulthood for Ohio is:

Ohio - 18 or graduated from high school, whichever occurs later.

www.tangledmoon.org...

So it IS different from Canada then. Thanks.

There's still something stinky about this. Legal experts from all over the country? Including California?

"She probably doesn't have a lot of options other than to return home."

Hell, inmates get better security than that. Sorry, stinky.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yeah, and some states differ. You can also go for emancipation but I guess Ohio doesn't have that. Also, some states will let you get some benefits as an adult before the age of 18 like marriage or living on your own but I don't know the specifics.

From what I gathered from the article, though, is that they weren't' sending her right back to her parents- just that she had to be in the same jurisdiction. Also, being an emigrant without citizenship for Florida, she couldn't stay in Flordia and has to return to Ohio.

At least that is what I gathered from it. So it's not as if she's going right back to her parents- just the area.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
What the heck?!?!?!?! If they force this girl back anywhere that the dad knows about, she faces a scary future. Religious or not, that is a VERY credible death threat. Just because she's not 18 doesn't mean they shouldn't take her any less seriously.

Just.....wow. I'm speechless.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Also, being an emigrant without citizenship for Florida, she couldn't stay in Flordia and has to return to Ohio.

I may learn something here. I thought that immigration was a federal thing, not a state one. Florida has the emancipation while Ohio doesn't. My question is, isn't an immigration issue a federal issue?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
If they do not emancipate her, hopefully they will place her in foster care. It's obvious she fears abuse/death if sent back home. I just can't see child protective services sending her back home given that...heck, kids get put in foster care all the time simply because they got a well deserved spanking.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Yes. Once you're here, you're here. When you're a citizen, you can move about freely. But from the article, it looks like she doesn't even have American citizenship but came here for a medical treatment. So I'm assuming (no expert here) where they live is restricted.

I'm totally ignorant of this stuff but am just going off the article lol:

Bary, a native of Sri Lanka who turned 17 earlier this month, is neither a U.S. citizen nor a resident of Florida, so if her parents want her returned to their home in New Albany, Ohio, that likely will occur, experts said.

The Barys reportedly emigrated from Sri Lanka in 2000 to seek medical treatment for Rifqa, who lost the sight in her right eye following an accident at home.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Yes. Once you're here, you're here. When you're a citizen, you can move about freely. But from the article, it looks like she doesn't even have American citizenship but came here for a medical treatment. So I'm assuming (no expert here) where they live is restricted.

I'm totally ignorant of this stuff but am just going off the article lol:

Bary, a native of Sri Lanka who turned 17 earlier this month, is neither a U.S. citizen nor a resident of Florida, so if her parents want her returned to their home in New Albany, Ohio, that likely will occur, experts said.

If neither her or her parents are legal citizens, then what are the legalities on her parents side? I mean, they are not diplomats, so they don't have immunity. Being that they are not citizens, I'm sure that she/federal govt. can circumnavigate/evade the age issue long enough to get her to 18.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Bary, a native of Sri Lanka who turned 17 earlier this month, is neither a U.S. citizen nor a resident of Florida

That's my point Ash. If she isn't a US citizen nor a Florida resident what makes her an Ohio resident?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

If neither her or her parents are legal citizens...

That's what I'm trying to find out but the article is long. They appear to only mention the non citizenship of the girl. Is it possible for parents to become citizens but not their children? I've never heard of such a thing so I have no idea.

That leads me to assume her parents don't have citizenship either but I don't know if the article mentions it.

I also don't know if it's just her parents demanding her return or a legal issue where she has to return to the Ohio system.

Either way, with a highly publicized story like this, she most likely will not be returned to her family home. If she is returned and something happens, all hell would break loose media-wise. It's also saying a lot if even the girl's mother is scared for her safety, as the article mentions. So she'll most likely become a ward of the state until she is 18. It looks like she simply has to be returned to Ohio- not necessarily the family.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

If she isn't a US citizen nor a Florida resident what makes her an Ohio resident?

I know just as much about it as you do.

I'm guessing if she's here on a temporary basis or something she has to go back to where she is allowed to be: Ohio. And then go through the state system up there.

Again, I've never heard of parents receiving citizenship but the child not so I don't know what their status is. It's news to me.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Yeah, that's what I mean. There's something here that just doesn't add up.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

The Barys reportedly emigrated from Sri Lanka in 2000 to seek medical treatment for Rifqa, who lost the sight in her right eye following an accident at home.

Something tells me the state needs to take this seriously. Islam is big on physical punishment.

As a side note, I find it interesting the media is involved here at all.. If I were in her situation, I would have found a friend to stay with until 18, and just become invisible to my parents. Live under the radar for a bit, you know? It's really not all that difficult.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Are the laws different in the States than in Canada? At 16 a child can move out.

You have to be 18 in the states.

It's a shame no one hid her away until her next birthday. Now she may not have a next birthday.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join