It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI: Arm Boston Police With Assault Rifles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

FBI: Arm Boston Police With Assault Rifles

www.thebostonchannel.com

An FBI official said Boston police officers should be armed with assault rifles to make the city more prepared for a terrorist attack.

Warren Bamford, the special agent in charge of the FBI in Boston, said Tuesday that he is baffled by opposition to a proposal to give some neighborhood police officers the semiautomatic weapons.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Bamford said he believes more officers should have access to the guns in the event Boston becomes the target of a terrorist attack like the one that killed 166 people in Mumbai, India in November.

Anyone else think this could be an indication of an upcoming false flag operation? Am I reading more into this than is actually there, or are my suspicions legitimate? Is the FBI just being overzealous, or is there more to this story?

TA

www.thebostonchannel.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Unfortunately, the militarization of local police forces seems to be a trend that's not going away anytime soon.

I had a policeman help me when I slid off the road last winter and there most definitely was an M4-ish looking rifle in the rack where police used to carry a shotgun.

Frankly, I'm surprised they don't already have them in every squad car.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by milesp

Frankly, I'm surprised they don't already have them in every squad car.

Agreed.

But it just seems that in this case, the insistence on the part of the FBI to arm this particular squad/force for the possibility of 'terrorism' makes me suspect there's more here than is being reported. It may just be that my tinfoil hat is on a little too tight, but I smell a false flag. In any case, thanks and star for the reply.

TA

[edit on 20-8-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Well I'd be more worried what the criminals are carrying that might warren the need for a M16 or something....

But that is just me.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

Fair enough, but the article states that this is to fortify the police force in the event of a terrorist attack.

I'm sure the arsenals of the various criminals in the area might be a concern, but it must not be a major one considering that Mayor Tom Menino criticized the effort to arm the police with these weapons. Either way, thanks and star for the reply.

TA

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Uh on, another debate about the difference between assault rifles and semiauto.

Anyways whether the officer has a pistol or an M16 does not bother me. These days with criminals packing AKs or submachine guns might as well armed the police with such firepower.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
good, good, make them carry heavier weapons! they have a rifle, you have...well, whatever you have....i wonder who's faster...

P.S....a little off topic, but something i found interesting....with all the things i see about martial law, etc....how come it is rarely brought up that the coast guard is exempt from the Posse Comitatus act. (read that in the army times)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Well it seems interesting to me how he relates this 'terrorist' attack to the likes of the ones that had taken place in India. This makes me think more along the lines of 'militia' dubbed terrorism taking place. Interesting with everything that is going on right now.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I think that it is a little bit scary. Boston, like any city, has it's underworld gangs. Ever seen Departed? What makes me a little bit weary is that they are choosing to use these weapons in not in defence against the gangs, which are present, but in the speculation of a terrorist attack. If you have the forces to wipe them out, do it.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrainPower
P.S....a little off topic, but something i found interesting....with all the things i see about martial law, etc....how come it is rarely brought up that the coast guard is exempt from the Posse Comitatus act. (read that in the army times)

It might be that the Coast Guard is only under DoD control during wartime? They are under DHS now, but before, were part of the Department of the Interior.

Just my two Ameros. I might be way off base with that, tho.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

either way, we're at war right now, so i mean, they could be implemented to augment the police force at any time, right?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'd be curious as to what training would be necessary for a officer to use one. If this was for a s.w.a.t. unit I'd be able rationalize it. But if this is for squad cars then...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
in all probability, very minimal training, they are already trained on how to use firearms...they would probably just get a farmilirization course and some range time and be ready to go.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
BULL!! this is complete BULL!!! The entire america, our freedoms, was to be able to live without fear of its army or police retrobuting against them, like the soviets ddi to its people through communism. We all hear and read reports at leat one daya week, how a cop somewhere, in some US city, abused a civilains legal bill of rights, and walks away scott free. This reeks of abuse, waiting to happen.
The entire whole consensus, acccording to the government, seems to feel and think, a terrorist attack would be something along the line of a bomb or biological attack. SO! What good would machine guns do a bomb of exceptional magnitude going off do? What are they gunna do, shoot the smoke from the aftermath???
This smells entireoly fo nothing more than a plan, to get NWO like police in the streets, and/or implemnt martial law. A test, too see how the public reacts, so other citys governors and senators will follow as well against its people. just my 2 cents
Really, with this kinda news, ide imagine it hurts the economy more. I cant think of many people whod wanna go shopping or out as much to spend $$$ fearing the local police and governemnt are about to force up on them all. No wonder retail sales accoring to wall street arnt that great. Governments fear mongering of its citizens.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
really, i think it has a lot to do with simple show of force. the firearm is bigger and more intimidating...meaning that in general people will be more likely to comply with any orders issued by the officer legal or not

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The entire idea, of wanting to catch a terrorist, yuode think, would be to catch them red handed, stealth like. I thought thats what the CIA is their for! as well as homeland security? Maybe im wrong, but parading around IN public with assault rifles at least, would deter and alarm a terrorsit heads up It sounds more like crowd control and emopowerment over innocent of terrorism people than to stop a terrorist attack. 9/11 already demonstrated that, and the governemnt was not as quick to act. In fact, they knew what was goin on.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
They considered doing the same thing in Chicago a year ago. I don't even know if CPD got the idea from the FBI.

During a newscast about a month ago, a local Chicago woman was asked what it would take to stop the violence in some Chicago neighborhoods. Her response was something like..."you're gonna have to drop atomic bombs on some of these spots." I laughed and laughed because its real, so very real.

I guess since many of you don't live in some of those South Side and West Side Chicago communities its difficult to understand that some people in the country are living in warzones and are being held hostage by agents of foreign governments and many people in this country are committed to keeping it that way.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BrainPower

Yea that's the problem. Police firearms training is minimal in my area and range time very uncommon! [unless said officer belongs to a private range] I don't like the idea of people already minimally trained getting a hold of something bigger!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
i must be fully honest here

if the police are allowed this type of escalation

the citizens must be as well

under our right to bear arms, we should not be legally forced to have inferior guns for self defense then the police

so in my opinion if the govt wants assault rifles for the cops, the only way they should allow that is if they allow the citizens of that same area to have the same defense

the whole reason we have the right to bear arms, is so that we can defend ourselves from tyrants and oppressors when the time comes, the police are potentially those people in the future, that is what our forefathers believed and that is why they made it our right to carry arms

we must not forget that reasoning when deciding on situations like this

top topics

<<   2 >>

join