It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you define yourself?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
How do you define yourself?

It’s a difficult question. But what did you first think of when you read that title?

It's so easy to get our identity tangled up in our careers, work, roles or job titles. We seem to believe that we are what we do.

Would you perhaps use you nationality, race, gender or sexuality as what defines you?

Maybe your yearly earnings or hobbies?

Could it be a mixture of some or all of the above, something that changes over time? Or is it impossible to define ourselves?

Is it even beneficial to do so?

What's possible when we let go of limiting one-dimensional labels of ourselves and others?

Thoughts......

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It seems that all the things you mention are physical things.. which I think are meaningless. It is our spirit and 'heart' that define us.
heh...you are not your car, you are not your job, you are not your kahkis... or something like that

If someone defined me by how I look and what I do , they would be way off without out being able to know me and define me by my spirit.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Why would I define myself? What does that even mean, when applied to a human being?

I am what I am. I don't see that it is important - probably not even *possible* - to describe myself in a meaningful way. Obviously, my view of myself is not objective. In fact, it is the least objective view possible. It is the view most likely to be seriously warped by being too close to the subject.

Whatever I am today, I am likely to be different tomorrow. We change. We grow, sometimes we regress, but we're constantly changing. Even if I could accurately "define" myself today, that wouldn't be true tomorrow; and it would, I hope, be vastly different years from now.

All I can do to "define" myself is to be myself, and let others observe. That is who I am, basically; that is my "definition". The reality, not the words I may choose to describe what I am willing to share about what I *think* is true about me.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

I am a function of the universe..

and in this context let me point it out be for you think i am NUTTS..

YOU yes YOU reading my post.. have 2 questions

Who is god..

Or what or why am i here = both are the same ...

So do to define me would mean what?

Am i LIFE? yes

the rest?

does it matter?

you are just like a tree... LIFE

i AM life, and that my friend is my definition of NOT who but WHAT i am

The rest of the crap you think about is pointless ..

sorry to be so forth coming but its in fact true

how would a tree define its self?

Bark? Green? ..

you see how stupid that is? reminds me of people pondering why we have skin colour..

i liked the question but you all ready knew the answer to it or you would not have asked it in the first place..Correct?

you people reaaaaallly need to get to grips with this thing you call reality PRONTO

.. and sorry if i sound like im very smart and all knowing

I AM

why?

well ask god LOL ...

no that was a joke..

But really.. its a very vague question to ask..

im me your you what els is there to define other than being alive?

got a label i can borrow?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Forgive the simplicity, but I have to write this disclaimer to lengthen the post.

We exist.

(edit below)

[edit on 8/20/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I would rather not define myself. Defining is setting boundaries, limiting.
If I am one thing I can't be everything. And its much more productive and fun to be everything. I would think so at least.

Well...but if I had to define myself...I think I'd go with mellow.
I like being mellow.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Anything that can be said to "define" myself is by default not me, and is just an attachment. What I/you truly am/are can not be defined.

Those things we would use to define ourselves are the things that define this experience. So that is what I call them, the experience/ride. And there are many things that define my experience from the laws of physics, to my body, place in space and time and so on.

If you imagine every possible perspective as it's own unique perspective, then I am perspective/experience #34394390388080099343434 or some other non significant number.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

One word.

"A fool"

I learned of that some time ago. Anyone who would say otherwise is just trying to kid.

Get the joke there, one word, was deliberate and I did that not only as a joke.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

What i think he means is what can i define as ME.. as in who you are as a person..

but what is a person?

all come from the same thing? so a definition on what scale? rap music? what cloths i ware??

you get the point

or shall we take it down to its basic element LIFE,...

how does one define life

is what you should be asking because the outcome of this question is the very LIFE you lead

correct?

or is that some what to much to take in.

dont be scared im only playing with you FOR NOW... lol

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by symmetricAvenger
reply to post by badmedia

What i think he means is what can i define as ME.. as in who you are as a person..

but what is a person?

all come from the same thing? so a definition on what scale? rap music? what cloths i ware??

you get the point

or shall we take it down to its basic element LIFE,...

how does one define life

is what you should be asking because the outcome of this question is the very LIFE you lead

correct?

or is that some what to much to take in.

dont be scared im only playing with you FOR NOW... lol

If thats the case.

As a fool I would say that we are finite experiences taken to infinity.

In the end you will see.

Whether you or I am of use is the difference that we make.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

(edit)
I decided to further elaborate.

I am not going to describe how I define myself, because for me, that is impossible.
I would have to write down, every, single thought, emotion, feeling, and experience that I ever had, and that is just not practical.
While I might be aware of my collective (experiences) they are not what define me, but what is defined by me.

We simply exist.
To be aware of one's own existance, one becomes aware of the existance of others.
Every living thing is connected to one another, we have just forgotten how to realize that.
That does not mean however, that the experience is not there.
It's just so dulled down.

Make what you like, but no body can define themselves, they can only define their experiences.
If one's life continues, that process of experience is still occurring and it can and will Change.
Change is what is defined by the universe.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

well your life lasts as long as infinity ...

Why? because you are alive... what defines you is YOU nothing can change that aspect..

and your role? its just to be here.. let me show you..

If god is sat upon his throne what did he do first?

take your time to think about the question i just asked you

IF GOD was sat on his THRONE what did he do FIRST be for he made YOU AND ME and all that we know?

the question is simple and the answer is the second word in this sentence.

got it yet?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by symmetricAvenger

Paradox.

One word from a fool.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

and some men understand they are lucky to use the world fool in its context

do you not agree that in fact you still no nothing? or are you happy with the fact you just shrugg your shoulders?

tell me what one is more relitive to your life as you know it??

and let me pose another question seen as you dodge my last one

if you was a blind person who never saw what you take for granted..

what do you think life would LOOK like?

understand the question...

would you wish to be BLIND or would you enjoy the gift of having EYES

questions are simple if you understand what it is you are asking... or in this case trying to define..

correct?

now i shall await your answer or your cop out ..

Read the question and do not get smart because that "defines you" correct?

; )

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

How do I define myself?

I don't. That is the best answer I could derive at this time.

Might be because i am "undefinable" in my mind's eye. Description, yes; definition, no.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I could head in a couple different directions with this, though, I will make one point;

You are defined by your actions and by what you do today! You can redefine yourself every day.

People will define you by your past(like my brothers), especially the bad stuff or your bad deeds.

Our job is to leave the bad (our mistakes, bad decisions, convictions, drug abuse!(kidding!, for me!, so far!?!).

The Point; to leave the not so good in the past, and carry the good with you and make it greater!

Today and yesterday I stopped my car to move garbage cans that were blown into the road(we have had major wind the last 2 days) and removed them from the road. Most people seemed to be dumbfounded, like they didn't know how to solve the puzzle and were having a hard time getting around over sized Cones, called plastic garbage cans!

This is a small sample of my last two days, I have a couple better stories but will spare my time for now.

Life isn't that complicated you know.

Some times we have to step up and clear the path or Cut the path for others to follow.

My actions that help defining myself comes from my parent's actions, I guess, how they defined themself, on a daily basis. By observing, watching, and contributing to their actions, is what carries me forward! I am truly grateful and blessed for this.

I am not trying to save the world nor am I the answer or have the answers. I am here to make a difference, plain and simple, and to do the right thing.

When I don't do the right thing ex.(being a jerk!, Yes, even I am human!), and screw up, I have to be responsible for my actions and Clean It Up!

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by symmetricAvenger
reply to post by XXXN3O

and some men understand they are lucky to use the world fool in its context

do you not agree that in fact you still no nothing? or are you happy with the fact you just shrugg your shoulders?

tell me what one is more relitive to your life as you know it??

and let me pose another question seen as you dodge my last one

if you was a blind person who never saw what you take for granted..

what do you think life would LOOK like?

understand the question...

would you wish to be BLIND or would you enjoy the gift of having EYES

questions are simple if you understand what it is you are asking... or in this case trying to define..

correct?

now i shall await your answer or your cop out ..

Read the question and do not get smart because that "defines you" correct?

; )

I dont think I dodged your last question, I am saying that reality is a paradox because of who we are, always were and are to become in my opinion. Question, question and question.

I would answer both that I know nothing and that I find happiness in shrugging my shoulders until I learn more from experiences. If I were to say I think I know everything, I would have to say, I was a fool which I used to be, hence using the word fool.

I can never answer that question unless I am made blind at some point and I enjoy having the gift of eyes. I guess that life would almost be the same, a unique experience but I cannot explain the experience as I have not experienced it.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

How do I define myself??

I am everything........

.........................and nothing

top topics

join