It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon.com review conspiracy to discredit Glenn Beck's "Common Sense?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
So I was looking at the reviews for Glenn Beck's book Common Sense and noticed a strange occurrence with the top 1 star review.

First have a good read: 1 star Reviews for Common Sense

The top review is quite long, well thought out and correctly edited. Where as most reviews consist of the following...

I wonder if ole' Glenn as read Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason". I doubt it.

It is short, to the point and not very well thought out.

Secondly there are over 8000 people saying that they found the review helpful and the following review has about 460. Quite a jump!

Let's add in the fact that this is M. Mazenko's one and only review. M. Mazenko's user page

Even the Amazon users have noticed the discrepancy. Check it out here

Here's a comment from that page:

Curiously, there is some evidence of "ballot box stuffing": the reviewer's rank is not very good. If he really had over 8000 positive votes, he would be a top ranked reviewer instantly. So Amazon's system must somehow be detecting the box stuffing, which is why this person has a crap rank (I'm top 1000 rank and I don't have nearly that many positive votes -- but the ones I do have are real!)

From Amazon's rank FAQ:
"We've changed the way we measure review quality to ensure that every customer's vote counts. Stuffing the ballot box won't affect rank. In fact, such votes won't even be counted."

But they are being counted in the review.

I emailed Amazon about this and I suggest other people do the same. I have no doubt that people are gaming Amazon's review system across the board but blatant abuse of the system like this needs to be curtailed.

Amazon's review system is an important part of their appeal and they have to take measures to at least keep the fraudulent abuse to a dull roar.

So what's going on with this review? Is it an attempt to try and turn people away from the book? A conspiracy?

(Please note I neither like or dislike Glenn Beck, I just thought this interesting enough to post)

[edit on 8/20/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Here you go. I have a real review because I actually read the book. It's great and it should be required reading for everyone on American soil. One thing that really got me in a frenzy was what Glenn talked about with the way congressional districts are layed out. It's ridiculous if you see maps of some districts, like the Phoenix, AZ district where a very narrow area reachest to the northwest side of the state from Phoenix. It's truely putting neighbor against neighbor. I always thought congressional districts were determined by county lines.... like this set of counties is the 13th district, or something like that. Glenn's book is not too long, and very easy to read and includes Thomas Payne's original publication of "Common Sense" after the new publication. There is also a page talking about the 9-12 Project which is a great thing to be a part of. Look for Glenn Beck's 9-12 special on Sept. 12 on Fox news. Great book. I give it a 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Locoman8

I agree on the districts. Mine includes 3 different counties and stretches from SW Houston to Galveston!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Have you read what Glenn's book says about them? The congressmen actually get to fix their district the way they want. The more "like-minded" voters in one district, the better one's chances.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

It shouldnt be that way. It should be an nonpartisan system.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I agree. I can't stand the two party system. I can't stand primaries. I think if 7 democrats, 5 republicans, and 3 libertarians want to run for the general election, let them.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It wouldn't be the first time someone has used Amazon reviews to either boost something or run it down.

Ever hear of the 3 Wolf Moon shirt? Their sales rose by 2300% after some guys wrote really outlandish reviews of it on Amazon.

www.neatorama.com...

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I don't even do business with amazon.com. I buy my books at book stores because I don't feel like waiting for my books to come in the mail. Not to mention, Beck's book is only 8.93 at Wal-Mart. It's well worth buying. Beck has a lot of heat on him right now for his comments calling Obama a racist towards white people. His reasoning is with the people he surrounds himself with. His "green Czar" and his former "pastor" both being racist towards white people. Obama saying he denounced his mother's race so he'd be considered "black", etc. Now over 33 advertisers including Wal-Mart have pulled from his show. Funny how Wal-Mart still sells his books. Beck still has the highest rated show at 5pm and is rated higher than any show on cnn, msnbc, or other 24 hour news channels. He's the 2nd most watched show on cable and only falls behind O'Relly at 8pm on the same channel. That being said, the reviewer of "Common Sense" on amazon.com was probably a disgruntled Obama supporter who was mad at what Beck said.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Speaking of Glenn Beck

Big Beck: Goes over 3 million viewers, beats O’Reilly in demo: Cable News Ratings for Wednesday, August 26, 2009
tvbythenumbers.com...< br />

Though a little scandal might alienate advertisers, it’s pure ratings gold. Last night Glenn Beck had over 3 million viewers at 5pm, second only to O’Reilly for the night. But, Beck had more 25-54 viewers than O’Reilly (888K to 876K). I don’t watch or really even care about the cable news wars, but still…wow. Even though Beck airs before primetime, when there are fewer people watching TV, he had the most 25-54 viewers in the cable news world for the night.

[edit on 053131p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

That's amazing. All the "Color of Change" campaign did was light a fire under middle America. Beck's former advertisers are the ones who will miss out on the benefits.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I think they did the right thing.

Beck said a very stupid thing. He accused the president (without grounds) of racism towards white people. Then took it back a minute later, then the next day took back his take back. I'm not fan of Obama, very critical of him.. however he is not a racist. '

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

His comments were a result of the people Obama surrounds himself with. A radical black racist communist in Van Jones as Obama's Green Jobs Czar. That's just one of them. Glenn is talking about these people this week.

new topics

top topics

join