It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mystery of Shakespeare's Tomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
William Shakespeare is arguably the greatest author in the English language. In my opinion, he's the greatest author in any language. The soliloquies of Macbeth, Hamlet and Lear are outstanding to this day and show an insight into human psychology that remains timeless. His poetry could be both romantic and truthful, and contain some line, somewhere that hits a nerve with anyone. An all round genius of literature and the human condition.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3f677f96edf2.jpg[/atsimg] Man or myth?

For over 200 years there's been a dispute about whether this son of Stratford could really be the author. Bacon, de Vere and several others have been claimed by different interests. I disagree, William Shakespeare is the man that wrote them.

The claims have taken an interesting turn. A request to exhume his grave has been submitted and is being processed. By looking to see exactly what...or who, is in there, the end of this long debate could be ended. A radar scan of his grave shows three boxes were buried with him. Manuscripts? Confessions? Or another pun on words that add to the mystery of the great man?

In an echo of the blockbuster book and film, The Da Vinci Code, the search has been prompted by the discovery by an historian of clues in Greville's writings which suggest he had several manuscripts buried there, including a copy of Antony and Cleopatra. A radar scan of the sarcophagus has already indicated the presence inside of three "box like" shapes. The searchers believe these could contain documents and a further examination is now being proposed which they hope will finally prove the link between Greville and Shakespeare.
Tomb search could end riddle of Shakespeare's true identity

Shakespeare's grave features an unusual curse that, so far, has remained unchallenged. Sense of humor?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/06738381732b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Here's a thread i made many moons ago now. You might find it interesting Kandinsky. Its about another brilliant writer, Christopher Marlowe, and his possible link with Shakespeare.

Christopher Marlowe as…… Shakespeare

One group of conspiracists believe that Marlowe never died as Deptford. Why? Because Marlowe was Shakespeare! Propounded by the Marlowe Society, this thesis found its most articulate and commited exponents in Calvin Hoffman, who wrote The Man Who Was Shakespeare in 1955, and A.D. “Dolly” Wraight. Hoffman believed that Thomas Walsingham was Marlowe’s lover, and that he faked the playwright’s death to save him from execution.

Dolly Wraight, on the other hand, works backwards, beginning with clues found in “Shakespeare’s” sonnets ( which, if read in the right way, apparently fit every detail of Marlow’s life – notwithstanding the fact that such sonnet sequences were rarely autobiographical) and ending with a faked death at Deptford. So relentlessly have the Marlovians pushed their case, that Marlowe’s memorial in Westminister Abbey’s Poet’s Corner actually has a question mark inscribed after his date of death.

Source

Its a very interesting discovery.
Nice one
S&F

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

I'll check out your thread, thought I'd posted on that one?

I'm all for respecting the dead and letting sleeping dogs lie is always good too. But....if I could, I'd drive over and dig up those boxes or whatever they are right now. It'd be spooky hauling that tombstone off with his curse ringing in my ears.

Still, I'd be in there and blowing the dust off his lifeless bones to find what's down there. It'd be like Chester Copperpot all over again

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

It is mighty tempting i agree

With most other people i would be happy to see it, but Shakespeare was such a private man, an enigma almost. I like the idea of it staying that way.

It would probably just end up being something meaningless, like a box full of his favorite quills

Chester Copperpot
the Goonies is awesome. Although Chester was killed before he reached the treasure wasn't he

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
fascinating Im sure - and something I will watch with interest - though having stood at the grave a week ago - my parents live there and my father worked for the Heritage trust its sort of news to my ears ....

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
For those of an enquiring mind there are many more secrets with somewhat more interest in the graveyard .....

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

WTF?!?! Dude that crazy!

new topics

top topics

join