It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats WILL Lose Majority Over Healthcare

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
ABC NEWS: Obama Ally Says Democrats Will Lose Majority Over Healthcare

ABC News' Teddy Davis reports:
A top Obama ally predicted Wednesday in an interview with ABC News that Democrats will lose their congressional majority in next year's midterm elections if they fail to put a health-care reform bill on President Obama's desk.

Except that this assessment is way too optimistic.

The fact is, the Congressional Democrats are going to lose their majority in 2010, no matter WHAT they do. This is what I've been saying all along.

All the GOP has to do is step back and refuse to participate in the Democrat healthcare debacle. Just refuse to participate. If the Democrats pass this crappy "healthcare reform" legislation, they lose. The American people already hate the Democrat plan like poison. If the Democrats don't pass any reform, they lose again.

Simply let the Democrats own this entire healthcare mess, and they are history next year, no matter which way it goes.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Then what?

I'm way beyond giving a damn whether the Republicans or Democrats "lose". As long as their focus is on some zero-sum win/lose game, we all lose.

Answers I'm all out of. At least likely ones. Ideally, I'd throw them all out and start over, but there's that pesky need for likelihood.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The fact is, the Congressional Democrats are going to lose their majority in 2010, no matter WHAT they do. This is what I've been saying all along.

All the GOP has to do is step back and refuse to participate in the Democrat healthcare debacle. Just refuse to participate. If the Democrats pass this crappy "healthcare reform" legislation, they lose. The American people already hate the Democrat plan like poison. If the Democrats don't pass any reform, they lose again.

Simply let the Democrats own this entire healthcare mess, and they are history next year, no matter which way it goes.

and that is exactly what they are doing, they are laying low.

I don't understand it.

One would think they would not look and act like fools,

Ya catch more bees with honey then you do vinegar,

Why would they risk this?

If they are this stupid they deserve to lose it all.

These are our leaders, aren't they supposed to be intelligent?

I have never seen such a bunch of dingbats in my whole life, god help us.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

I'd throw them all out and start over, but there's that pesky need for likelihood.

amen brother,

"VOTI"

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Whoopee, Then we may have a Republican run congress what did they gave us during the 6 years with Bush?

Got it we got the Afghanistan and Iraqi invasion.

Yeah just replace one evil for another evil.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Save your breath marg. Many here on ATS (as is true of the populatio at-large) have memory spans of a gnat. The grass is always greener as Big Brother Bob Emory used to say.

The GOP, having utterly screwed this country into the ground, KNEW their opnly hope was to villify healthcare reform. They said so outright and in plain language. It's all a big strategic game to them Screw the country, Obama must fail. So they go back to the old fear playbook and look what we have: death panels, euthanasia, rationed care, federal takeover of hospitals, etc. It's all the same game.

People just don't get it. We're not doomed because of the politicians. We're doomed because too many people don't know how to think for themselves. They are incapable of seeing the big picture.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

That is because our for the people corrupted leaders are playing the blame game very well as long as the nation stays divided they know that they have the upper hand.

Divided we fall.

An unified nation is a danger to the status quo.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDesolate
[
Then what?

I'm way beyond giving a damn whether the Republicans or Democrats "lose". As long as their focus is on some zero-sum win/lose game, we all lose.

Answers I'm all out of. At least likely ones. Ideally, I'd throw them all out and start over, but there's that pesky need for likelihood.

I have been looking into alternatives. This sounds pretty good, check it out.
www.taxpayerparty.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
reply to post by marg6043

Save your breath marg. Many here on ATS (as is true of the population at-large) have memory spans of a gnat. The grass is always greener as Big Brother Bob Emory used to say.

The GOP, having utterly screwed this country into the ground, KNEW their opnly hope was to villify healthcare reform. They said so outright and in plain language. It's all a big strategic game to them Screw the country, Obama must fail. So they go back to the old fear playbook and look what we have: death panels, euthanasia, rationed care, federal takeover of hospitals, etc. It's all the same game.

People just don't get it. We're not doomed because of the politicians. We're doomed because too many people don't know how to think for themselves. They are incapable of seeing the big picture.

Stars for you

Its a cat and mouse game but nobody is winning.

I personally believe that there will be no more GOP nor Dem support comming soon

Sure lets put the republican party back in. Watch us get screwed, thank you american pulbic

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I hope it happens soon enough that the public's short-term memory problems don't have them forgetting all the garbage the (R)'s dragged out and we don't just flip/flop one sect of tyrants for another.

This would be a good time for a viable third party to rise up while the two morons bash each other to death.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by jtma508

That is because our for the people corrupted leaders are playing the blame game very well as long as the nation stays divided they know that they have the upper hand.

Divided we fall.

An unified nation is a danger to the status quo.

Well we have to start getting along somewhere, and we aint getting along on this forum, you would think of all places.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The majority is theirs to lose. They can blame no one but themselves. 2010 will be a time to clean house on both sides of the aisle. The career politicians need to go. We as a nation also need to get the gears rolling in order to place strict term limits in in the House and Senate. A David and Goliath type task indeed.

Ronald Reagan said it best

One thing our founding fathers could not foresee…was a nation governed by professional politicians who had a vested interest in getting reelected. They probably envisioned a fellow serving a couple of hitches and then looking…forward to getting back to the farm.”

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
We're not doomed because of the politicians. We're doomed because too many people don't know how to think for themselves. They are incapable of seeing the big picture.

Meaning what? That those who oppose a shoddy, hastily-assembled and poorly understood piece of legislation that has no precedent whatsoever are those who don't have a grasp of the "big picture"?

I beg to differ.

Those who blindly support a rushed "healthcare reform" and national healthcare are those with a narrow and uninformed perspective. Invariably, these fanatics point to national healthcare systems that in no way could be applied to the American system. They point to Britain's NHS, for one example, a system designed to accommodate a total population of 50 million people.

The United States population is over 300 million. A system designed to serve 50 million cannot and will never serve 300 million.

The current British system is rife with problems, not the least of which is the fact that 45,000 British NHS workers call-in sick every day, which is twice the absenteeism seen in the private sector. This absenteeism — whether it is due to people "playing hookie" or to legitimate illness — is costing Britain 1.7 billion GBP annually. Let's multiply that by a factor of 6 for a hypothetical American NHS.

Unacceptable.

The fanatics point to Canada's pathetic NHS...Canada has a smaller population than Britain, believe it or not, and the Canadian system is "imploding," according to recent reports. France's population is about twice that of Canada, but a French healthcare system could not accommodate the American population, which is 5 times larger.

The healthcare fanatics also point to the NHS of Norway (population of 4.5 million). A system designed to accommodate 4.5 million can't even put a small dent in a population of 300 million. The fanatics desperately point to Singapore's NHS... Singapore is a city-state, another tiny population of 4.5 million compared to that of the USA.

In point of fact, the healthcare reform fanatics out there are grabbing at straws to support their feeble contention that America's healthcare system can somehow be "improved" by implementing systems only tested with questionable degrees of success on comparatively small populations.

Shall we try the healthcare systems of China or India, countries with more than 3X the population of the USA? Oh, I don't think we want to go backwards in healthcare, do you? They're using recycled automobile tires to build prosthetic limbs in India.

Now, tell me, who has a grasp of "the big picture" on healthcare reform? Those who want to rush through reform legislation based on a few months of frantic and faulty brainstorming intent on providing government freebies at the sacrifice of quality healthcare? Or those who want to study the prospect of healthcare reform for the years required to craft a truly innovative and accommodating healthcare system?

The "big picture" conservative approach is the only logical answer. Anything less is a scam and a screw job.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

They're doing an excellent job of setting themselves up for a catastrophic loss in 2010. Whatever the outcome of the healthcare debate, it appears now that the Dems are in a no-win situation; a quagmire, to use one of their favorite terms.

They might weather the storm if that were the only problem they faced, but next up, another disaster of their own making: the Cap-and-Trade scam. The Senate will have to debate this one some time this fall. It isn't going to pass, and its going to set up another gigantic battle, largely between Democrats in the two houses of Congress.

Then, there's the economy, the budget deficit, record foreclosure rates in three of the last five months, increasing initial unemployment claims and a deteriorating situation in Afghanistan, the so-called 'Good War' by the Dems last fall during the campaign. All of this, and that's assuming they don't pile on more problems by taking on lightning rod issues such as immigration or gun control.

Add in a healthy dose of overconfidence and arrogance, and the Dems are setting themselves up for a fall.

That said, 15 months from the mid-terms is an eternity in politics and its too early to write them off, but I think its looking increasingly likely that they'll lose a significant number of seats in the House and possibly the majority. They won't lose more than three or four seats in the Senate, but the super majority will be gone if that happens.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

FYI

The democrats won't sustain this much longer without a fracture similar to the one seen amongst republicans in 2005-2008.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

No Doc. That's not what I mean. Did I say that? What I said (and consequesntly what I mean) is that too many people simply parrot what they hear. Death panels, euthanasia, rationing, end of private insurance... Listen to many of these people at the town hall meetings. They have no idea what they are talking about and are simply regurgitating what they read off some chain email they got. And it's not just about healthcare reform. This sort of thing goes on here and in the population-at-large all the time.

I've been for heathcare reform for years. It has to be reformed. It's crashing and burning. I can't say I'm in favor of what is being worked-out now because, quite frankly, there is not enough REAL information about it available with which to form a considered opinion. But that doesn't stop some folks.

At least once a month I get some panicked email from someone about some alleged pending legislation about which I need to call my Congressman. Got one on Wednesday about some IRS tax on guns. Like the 'Mars Hoax' people don't bother to vet these things and take it as face-value fact.

So, Doc, please don't put words in my mouth. I'm not for anything. Simply calling-out the parrots. But they probably don't even know who they are.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

The debate in the USA re healthcare fascinates me . In the UK we have, since after the 2nd world war, taken for granted universal health care. If you get sick, you go to a Doctor and you get treated. There is no consideration as to who you are, where you come from or how you are going to pay. It is just a basic human right that if you are ill then you are entitled to(the best) treatment.
Every advanced nation in the world,except for the US has universal healthcare.
There is no "bureaucrat" between patient and doctor, other than the receptionist in the local health centre. The US spends a greater proportion of its GDP on healthcare than any other country in the developed world, yet 40 - 50 million people have no cover!!
And all this paranoia about "the government" running aspects of your life. Well at least the government is elected. Better that than some profit hungry corporation, accountable to noone running it - surely?
I don't know how international the membership of ATS is but, given the current debate in the USA, it would be interesting to get an overview of how healthcare, and the right of free access to it, is viewed accross the board.
I saw a documentary(five or six years ago, maybe longer) where they investigated where you would receive the best reatment if you presented to emergency with a broken leg. The US, UK some European countries and others were all examined and the best place to break a leg and get seen to, no questions asked was..... CUBA!
I resent the fact that I have to pay for dental treatment. That, as far as I am concerned, should be covered by the state.
I am suspicious of Corporations and the private sector controlling everything but the American Psyche seems to be more afraid of the march of big government.
Like I say, it's fascinating how views on this subject differ so much from nation to nation.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joker19

The debate in the USA re healthcare fascinates me . In the UK we have, since after the 2nd world war, taken for granted universal health care. If you get sick, you go to a Doctor and you get treated. There is no consideration as to who you are, where you come from or how you are going to pay. It is just a basic human right that if you are ill then you are entitled to(the best) treatment.

The same is true in the United States. Technically, you cannot be turned away for emergency treatment in the United States if that facility participates in medicare, regardless of an inability to pay. This was instituted in 1986 under the EMTALA act. Granted, it still happens, but it isn't supposed to.

The question being addressed here is actually more 'Who ultimately pays for it?' than 'Should we treat everyone?'

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
So then we can go back to the GOP controlled Congress? LMAO! YIpeee! Americans need to wake up. We need to THROW EM ALL OUT! Both parties are responsible for our problems and the state of our country. American sheeple keep voting in the same people regardless of their political moniker. but that's exactly what they want. You actually think TPTB want Americans to have choice? To have many different sides of representation. Heck no! They want us divided and squabbling over conservative this liberal that dems this repubs that. It allows them to do what they really want to. Fleece the American people under the guise of blame.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
ABC NEWS: Obama Ally Says Democrats Will Lose Majority Over Healthcare

ABC News' Teddy Davis reports:
A top Obama ally predicted Wednesday in an interview with ABC News that Democrats will lose their congressional majority in next year's midterm elections if they fail to put a health-care reform bill on President Obama's desk.

Except that this assessment is way too optimistic.

— Doc Velocity

yeah, all the regular people just can't wait for the insurance companies to take as much money as they can squeeze out the middle class and poor...and the republicans will gladly go along with that. besides we need all those people that cannot afford healthcare to just go away and die...it's up to 19,000 a year now, and the republicans want to maximize that to it's fullest potential. plus!!!...the wealthy NEED MORE TAX CUTS, CAN'T ANYBODY UNDERSTAND THAT???

<<   2 >>

join