It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone who has advocated peace has been killed... why?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12
yeah unfortunate as it is... i think the only thing we as citizens can do is come together and fight for what we believe in. I mean, really fight. Fight the hell out of it.

I think a revolution is needed. Im not afraid of it at all, I welcome it.

I have been thinking about this quite a lot in the past, and then miraculously enough, I came across this documentary called "Soldiers of Peace" (www.soldiersofpeacemovie.com...) which really changed the way I saw things....

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity", I read somewhere -- and I think I agree! That documentary actually showed me that peace can be achieved if all of us, one by one, make simple changes in our everyday life. We are not as powerless as we think. Each person's behavior affects the people surrounding him/her, and that has been proven scientifically recently - if you are happy, people around you become happier, and then they transmit this positive energy to other people.... it's a chain of action that can start from one single person.

The documentary traveled around the world and showed how simple, "ordinary" people actually changed their communities and made a huge difference....A woman in africa achieved peace through tribes simply by organizing football matches where people from both tribes fought in the same team. They learned to collaborate and realized their fighting was pointless. A woman in London who was paralysed after the bomb attacks has become an inspiration of peace for her community. Another woman, whose father was killed in a bomb attack when she was a kid, finally met the terrorist who organized the attack, and tried to understand why he did it. They eventually came at peace with each other.

There is so much we can do to achieve peace and it doesn't involve fighting for it. And whoever tells you the opposite, they probably don't have peace in mind, but their own interests...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Build a better mousetrap.

Invent new technologies to make our lives better.

Make billions of dollars and do what you want with the money.

Build schools, hospitals , concert halls and churches if you want.

That is how it is done!

Nobody is going to hate and kill you for that !

Stop talking and start doing!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
yeah i used to feel that way too... i thought "how can you kill people for peace" it seemed so rediculous, but as time has gone by ive started thinking differently

I mean, not to sound like a bastard... but... just maybe the world would be better off without some of the people on this planet.

im sorry but thats the way i see it.

these are people who cannot be swayed by words. it just wont happen

thats why they can get away with it. if people dont do anything but "try and promote peace in their daily lives" it will never make enough of a difference in the end.

I should know, i promote change and peace in my daily life and while it may affect those near me, it doesnt affect anyone else. I am probably one of the most peaceful people i know, i really mean it, but if there is something i believe in fighting for, trust me i will.

something has to happen on a bigger scale than just talking and saying words. its just the truth.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagnumOverDrive
Build a better mousetrap.

Invent new technologies to make our lives better.

Make billions of dollars and do what you want with the money.

Build schools, hospitals , concert halls and churches if you want.

That is how it is done!

Nobody is going to hate and kill you for that !

Stop talking and start doing!

that actually made me laugh. making money is the least of my concerns and in my opinion in the root of all evil in the world. bad advice

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
something has to happen on a bigger scale than just talking and saying words. its just the truth.

Fair enough, what do you suggest?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

Here's a former major leader of world-thought and peace activist who is almost never ever mentioned anymore -

Thomas Merton

Thomas Merton (31 January 1915 – 10 December 1968) was a 20th century American Catholic writer. A Trappist monk of the Abbey of Gethsemani, Kentucky, he was a poet, social activist and student of comparative religion. He wrote more than 70 books, mostly on spirituality, as well as scores of essays and reviews. Merton was a keen proponent of interfaith understanding. He pioneered dialogue with prominent Asian spiritual figures, including the Dalai Lama, D.T. Suzuki, the Japanese writer on the Zen tradition, and the Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh. Merton is the subject of several biographies.

During his long years at Gethsemani Merton changed from the passionately inward-looking young monk of The Seven Storey Mountain, to a more contemplative writer and poet. Merton became well known for his dialogues with other faiths and his non-violent stand during the race riots and Vietnam War of the 1960s. Merton finally achieved the solitude he had long desired while living in a hermitage on the monastery grounds in 1965. Over the years he had some battles with some of his abbots about not being allowed out of the monastery, balanced by his international reputation and voluminous correspondence with many well-known figures of the day.

Rev. Flavian Burns, the new abbot, allowed him the freedom to undertake a tour of Asia at the end of 1968, during which he met the Dalai Lama in India. He also made a visit to Polonnaruwa (in what was then Ceylon), where he had a religious experience while viewing enormous statues of the Buddha. There is speculation that Merton wished to remain in Asia as a hermit. It is also said[who?] that Merton had planned to visit Cid Corman in Kyoto, Japan but never achieved that goal.

Merton died in Bangkok on December 10, 1968 after touching a poorly grounded electric fan while stepping out of his bath. His body was flown back to Gethsemani where he is buried.

Source : Wikipedia

Personally, I have for a very long time now ( probably since I first realized the world is quite a bit more than just 'fun and games' ... ) suspected Merton may well have been the victim of foul play.

For instance -

A large, defectively wired fan killed Merton with a current of 220 volts. It is believed he may have attempted to move it while still wet from a shower or that, slipping on the stone floor of his room, he had reached out to the fan to support himself.

If either supposition is correct, his hands would have been inevitably burned along with other parts of his body. In fact, while his torso was severely burned, his hands were untouched. Which obviously means that he had not tried to grasp or adjust the fan, and that when he collided with it he was not fully conscious: it being impossible to imagine anyone falling against a large electric fan while conscious without thrusting out his hands for protection or support.

Source : vedanticShoresPress.com

Note : It has now begun raining outside my window as I write this, and I am overcome by an unexpected sadness. A single tear has formed and now trickles down my left cheek ...

See : Merton's Last Talk

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is a very interesting topic indeed, since I first learned about history that thought has always been in the mind. I believe it can be overcome, we as people have to display the kind of peace that we want, but we wont be able to get there as long as we allow our differences, like race, religion, sex, social, sexual preference etc, to keep us divided and fighting amongst each other. I believe a stand does have to be made, but it does not have to be violent.

If you fight fire with fire, everything burns.....

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Making money is not the root of all evil .

The love of money is.

You should love what you can do with it ,

to bring about the changes you desire.

Glad I made you laugh!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by blunatic

Fair enough, what do you suggest?

thats a great question and one i would like the answer to as well.

The thing is, people will only wait to do something until something major has happened that has affected their life (think of it in terms of the movie the day the earth stood still, if youve seen it.) No one ever tries to do something before something horrible happens... only after, when their lives have been personally affected.

so the question really is, where do i start? what do i do? who can i get to help me with my endeavors?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagnumOverDrive
Making money is not the root of all evil .

The love of money is.

You should love what you can do with it ,

to bring about the changes you desire.

Glad I made you laugh!

i just dont think money is important. happiness in life cannot be bought. its a fact. i myself have experienced it. at one point in time i was living in los angeles with a good amount of money, buying whatever i felt like buying... but it was the worst time in my life. now, i am 100 percent broke, i havent bought one thing for quite some time, i have hardly any food... but its more exciting living life like this. it makes small things so much more meaningful and you get to see what is really important in life aside from things money can buy

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well, people who advocate peace are killed usually because someone out there doesn't agree with them. When your advocating peace peacefully, your vulnerable. When your advocating peace destructively, you at least have a greater chance of surviving.

I love William T. Sherman's philosophy. I'm sure some of you have heard of him, and his scorched earth policy.

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."
-William Tecumseh Sherman

Should be noted that his men tried to put out some fires, even after they started it.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
im gonna put it in more simpler terms so you can see where im coming from.

its like a typical nerdy kid in school saying hes gonna fight bullies with his intelligence... meanwhile he is getting the crap kicked out of him

at some point, you have to fight back.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The governments of this world like to be in control. They are like the schoolyard bullies, anytime they see anyone gaining influence on people (in this case by preaching for peace) they need to take them down. I think the reason that "peace" is so unpopular with governments is that it means not having war's anymore, and we all know that war=$ in their eyes. Have faith though, just like the bully in the schoolyard, their time to fall will also come. I know, I can twist my mind up in knots when I think about why things seem to be set up to be so twisted in this world. Sometimes I really do believe that invisible "darker forces" are at work....

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
i think its the typical example of "good versus evil" and "heaven and hell"

the two are always at war, even if they dont realize it.

good has to overcome evil for once.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I think that people are looking for one person to fill the leadership role and we forget what those persons taught us. It takes more than one person. It takes us all. For instance we are so concerned with our immediate survival needs that most are not brave enough to take action.

The knowledge has been made known to us that the top 10 percent of the wealthiest run the world. Would you agree? Well if you do then the answer to your question is obvious. Have the 90 percent stop working. It would be rough and hard to survive, but if you stop their source of income, the sweat from our backs, then they can't run nothing. Just a thought. It would be peaceful and lawful.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Conclusion]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion
I think that people are looking for one person to fill the leadership role and we forget what those persons taught us. It takes more than one person. It takes us all. For instance we are so concerned with our immediate survival needs that most are not brave enough to take action.

The knowledge has been made to us that the top 10 percent of the wealthiest run the world. Would you agree? Well if you do then the answer to your question is obvious. Have the 90 percent stop working. It would be rough and hard to survive, but if you stop their source of income, the sweat from our backs, then they can't run nothing. Just a thought. It would be peaceful and lawful.

ive always said the same thing. stop those greedy corps from making money, and change will come.

i live my life based on this... but most dont. most enjoy their living life comfortably, too much to want to change if they dont see any immediate threat to them.

people just need to open their eyes!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Or walk away! That's what our founding fathers did .

They ended up building a strong army and fighting the forces of evil

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
So what are you people going to do?
Personally i mean.

Because coming on here and saying 'oh man, the worlds in a bad way, we should all do something' isn't going to achieve anything.

What are your plans?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
see everyone likes to make it seem like you can just walk away. you cannot continue to walk away and avoid the issues at hand. theres gonna come a time when we are all going to have to face whats going on.

walking away is the easy thing to do. facing it? much harder... but we have to

im already doing enough in my personal life, but i want to do more, which is why i asked for suggestions of what i CAN do right now to influence change.

I already know everything everyone is saying about living life in peace to set an example... because i already do, and i live a helluvalot more peaceful and eco consious than most people... GUARANTEED.

I am one of the few to actually practice what I preach

so tell me some things i dont know and maybe we will make progress with this conversation

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Remember the post not long ago that talked about the guy that lived in a cave and lived off the land? I have thought a lot about that post. The guy has no economic delusions anymore. How hard he works determines his survival. It is not easy but it is pure.

No bill collectors, no job to report to, living by his wits peacefully. Isn't that what we all really want? It can bring bliss to a few or to millions. But we give up security, or at least what we view as security. I like technology as much as the next guy, but where has it gotten us. Has anything been made that has not killed someone? The social view is, What can we do?. I say if you do not fight for freedom, then you fight for oppression.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join