It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the internet turning us into dummies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

When I was in the 7th grade I placed second in a Spelling Bee. Today, I can't spell worth a damn. Just like basic mathematics, I've also "forgotten" how to spell over the years, I simply let Google correct my errors, use a spell checker or even a online calculator if need be.

I also do not formulate my own thoughts, I'll cut & paste someone else s thoughts, change a few words and pretend I wrote it. I live in fantasy land thinking I'm some brilliant journalist or thought provoking poet.

I will study a picture, video or Google Earth footage of some random exoctic place like Fiji and tell the hottie at the bar that I've been there and walked across hot coals. When I get mail from a random Spambot, I think someone out there really cares about me as I gaze lovingly at my inbox.

Yeah my friends, the NWO has turned us all into insignificant dummies. We are not as smart as we once were, we simply live in a virtual intelligent world where we rely on the PC for data.

I was watching an episode of Life Without People that airs on the History Channel, did you know if humans would suddenly disappear in California the pigeons and other birds that have grown accustomed to eating our waste and meager bread handouts will die?

We are all pigeons.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I like this thread. S & F!

Very thought provoking! It seems as though using the internet and watching TV, and listening to music takes away alot of our own intellect.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Better Mouse Trap

yes, the internet makes you a dummy, nothing at all to do with the plagiarism, lies and laziness.....

there's none of us made perfect, i'm an opinionated grump with to much time on my hands, the fact that this tendency is exaggerated and enabled by the net doesn't mean i can blame the fault entirely on the net.

[edit on 20/8/09 by pieman]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I would have to disagree with this, at least from my own viewpoint. I think it all depends on HOW you use computers and the net that determines the outcome.

While I do indulge often in the mindlessness of the web, I think I use it as much to further my own intelligence as well. Books, that I normally would not take the time to go to a library and read, are now more available to be read online. Languages that I would only ever dream of delving into are now available for me to at least experience, if not learn the basics. In contrast to the OP, I think my spelling and mathematics have increased, since I write (type) a lot more now than I ever would in a pen/paper life. Friends that I barely get around to seeing are now closer and new (true) friends have come into my life over the years.

Just like any other medium of information available, the net can be used for positive things. Its all in how you use it. I look at it like a big Book Club and every forum the meeting. 10 (or in this case millions) people together discussing the same body of work will all still get something different from the discussion. Knowledge, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Better Mouse Trap

I also do not formulate my own thoughts, I'll cut & paste someone else s thoughts, change a few words and pretend I wrote it. I live in fantasy land thinking I'm some brilliant journalist or thought provoking poet.

I do not do that, and I am always trying to improve what I write whether it be on paper or how I respond here on ATS.

In regards to the rest of what you stated, I also do not do that and I know many others that do NOT do that. Could we be heading towards that path? Maybe. Just Maybe, and that doesn't say much.

I do not usually say this but this just seems like fear mongering to me. Have control over your own life, balance everything out, and always try to improve oneself.

Anyway. ttyl

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Better Mouse Trap

There is Truth in this young person's word's.
Even if he had to copy and paste them to say it

But True none the less!!!
S&F

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Some parts yes. Mostly it makes people unable to socialize in the real world. Colleges are even offering facebook in person since poeple don't know how to meet each other anymore.

On the other hand, the internet has made me a better cook, I learn how to do things. I can whatever information I need 95% of the time.

I can get producte evaluations.

I learned so many things from parenting sites, I don't know if I could of raised my child without the net. No kidding.

Here is an example:

My son spit up like nobody's business. Though I kept being told nothing was wrong, I knew it was too much. From one feeding to the next. it is a wonder he gained weight. My grandmother had nine children and twice as many grandchildren, and hordes of siblings and nieces and nephews, and she was concerned.

I tried every formula. I tried stomache medicine. I tried propping him up, you name it I tried it. I got no help from the medical community.

I searched and searched. Until one day, a parent told me that a lot of babies are intolerant of the DHA additive in baby formula. it was made from seaweed, and was tough on babie's stomaches.

Here is something for the conspiracy folks out there, apparently this additive was only studied for 6 months before being approved for formula, Adn it is getting harder to find formula without it.
So I switched to a non DHA formula. And instantly my child went to just normal spitting up.

There is no way I would of ever gotten that information otherwise.

new topics

top topics

join