It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockerbie bomber returns to Libya

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Lockerbie bomber returns to Libya

news.bbc.co.uk

The Lockerbie bomber has left Scotland on board a plane bound for Libya after being freed from prison on compassionate grounds.

Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi, 57, was jailed in 2001 for the atrocity which claimed 270 lives in 1988.

The decision to release Megrahi, who has terminal prostate cancer, was made by the Scottish Government.

The White House said it "deeply regretted" the decision and some of the US victims' families reacted angrily.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.uk.msn.com
edition.cnn.com
news.sky.com

[edit on 20/8/2009 by paraphi]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Well, I suppose that there are several different opinions:

- Those who think he should have been executed, which of course would not have happened as we don't have the death penalty in the UK (hurrah).
- Those who think the murdering pig should die in prision
- Those who may think that compassion - even with the backdrop of such a crime - is appropriate.
- Those "truthers" who probably think Lockerbie was a conspiracy by the CIA, MI5/6, Mossad, NWO, aliens, Bush etc...

I was happy to take the "die in prison" stance until Hillary Clinton opened her month.

In fact, I think this is a brave decision and do think that a legal process must have room for compassion.

Regards

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Its a hard one.... Personally if this man was guilty of this crime then i do not think in this "case" that there should be compassionate grounds,

Im not saying im against letting people home to die but gosh when you have caused deaths of others then i have no compassion,

Those families cannot get there mothers,fathers,sisters,bothers back....

If you take a life under this kind of circumstance then i believe you should loose the right to live yours, be that in Prison or in other ways..

But... I know there is some doubts about this guy really been involved, I would have much rather have seen the case re-opened and the evidence re looked in to,

but thats my opinion,

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I cannot fully form an opinion against him because I do not have anyone that had died in that tragedy. For some reason I cannot feel any sort of empathy for those who had died for nothing, although normally I could, but rather for the man who is being released when he was charged with killing so many people.

He has an estimated 3 months to live. Let him live them. Even murderers have the right to live, and no human should have the right to decide whether someone should live or die, even if the person that they decide SHOULD die has done so already.

I can see why so many people are appalled by this, I really sympathize for those who had lost loved ones, but he is on the brink of death. Killing him will not bring your loved ones back; locking him up to suffer will not bring them back. It will only bring you temporary satisfaction knowing the one who killed someone you loved in an instant died a slow and agonizing death, but it will never fill the void.

Let him live his life with the shame of what he did, but don't let him die with it in prison. That would be inhumane and would be no better than what he was charged of doing.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is a slap in the face for the families of those people this guy helped murder. British justice, don't make me laugh.

Perhaps this will at least start to make people in the US understand what the UK has turned into.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Maybe you should start a campaign to get some payback by removing all your forces from British soil, therefore leaving us unprotected and vulnerable to attack by those nasty Taliban chappies.

The US has people walking around who are responsible for the deaths of tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people. So much for American justice! Pffft, you are nothing but a bunch of wishy washy lefty liberal pussies!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
Perhaps this will at least start to make people in the US understand what the UK has turned into.

And what would that be exactly?

They have turned into a nation of compassion? Oh how terrible that is. Woe is the United Kingdom. Such a mockery of the 'justice' system. They should have wrapped a noose around his neck and hanged him from the gallows! That would have been real justice!

Seriously?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Bushido Kanji

Take a life, lose a life.

Take 270 lives and be fed your own entrails while hanging upside down over a fire.

Or the British version:

Take a life and spend 12 years in an open prison watching TV and playing Nintendo.

Take 270 lives and be released after 10 years to a hero's welcome and a much needed holiday on the Libyan coast.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

As I stated before, NO human has the right to decide whether someone should live or die, even if that person has done so already.

Vengeance solves nothing and is NOT justice.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bushido Kanji
And what would that be exactly?

They have turned into a nation of compassion? Oh how terrible that is. Woe is the United Kingdom. Such a mockery of the 'justice' system. They should have wrapped a noose around his neck and hanged him from the gallows! That would have been real justice!

Seriously?

That's exactly what they should have done.

The torture this animal inflicted on 270 families has now been compounded by his early release to his friends in Libya after what, 10 years in jail.

He should be shown the same compassion he showed to his victims - none.

By the way "Way of the Warrior"? you sure about that

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Someone should get themythlives to do a little case on this for everyone....I don't think megrahi played an important role if any.So,yes he should be released.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

I believe I have already responded to this in my previous post.

As for the totally unrelated statement below..

By the way "Way of the Warrior"? you sure about that

Bushido

Look it up and don't talk about it here.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Take 270 lives and be fed your own entrails while hanging upside down over a fire.

According to the Iraqi Body Count project, the instigator of the 2003 Iraq invasion has somewhere between 80 000 and 100 000 civilian Iraqi lives on his conscience.

So, does he still get to be fed his own entrails roasting over fire, or do you have something even more gruesome in mind?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Question:
Is the British healthcare system not able to take care of this man during the last phase of his life?
The end of life counselors decided to send him home.

Something tells me this man will be heard from again soon.
He knows he is terminally ill so he just may be going out with a BIG BANG!
..and taking innocent people with him in the process.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Was quite weird how I got see the plane in question (Airbus A300) fly over my house at 26000ft as it made its way towards the West Midlands, knowing exactly what was onboard that aircraft and wether the person in question was actually a set-up by our government all along because their "plan" of destroying scientists onboard PanAm didnt go quite according to plan, so they needed to a quick scapegoat.
Im sure the government at the time wasnt planning on the flight going down over Lockerbie, whoever/whatever was on that plane was intended to go down over the mid-atlantic.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Also for the record I also believe (behind closed doors) that an agreement is that if Al Megrahi isnt dead with 3 months as agree'd by this deal, then the UK special forces have granted rights to come in and take the guy "by force" back into the UK.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Glad we could show compassion for a man who murdered 270 people.

Not really anything else to say. The man should be executed, not be freed because he has a disease..

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
The evidence against him was circumstancial at best and fabricated at worst. I'm proud we released him. It's one of the largest miscarriages of justice ever to be carried out in my nation. He was a scapegoat and shouldn't have been jailed in the first place.

He was released to stop his 2nd appeal from going through, as that would have brought to light additional evidence intentionally ommited from the trail:

Crown fights to keep 48 pieces of Lockerbie trial evidence secret

Lockerbie police face ‘plot’ inquiry

Ulrich Lumpert, a Swiss electronic engineer and former employee at the Zurich-based MEBO Ltd Telecommunication, has admitted that he stole from the company a hand manufactured MST-13 Timer PC-Board that was later used as evidence against the defendant, Libyan agent Abdel Basset al-Megrahi.

The confession was made in a letter sent to dozens of organizations and individuals, including Darik radio journalist Svetoslav Ivanov.

Lockerbie Bombing Case Faces U-Turn after Perjury Confession

I feel very sorry for Kenny MacAskill right now. It's obvious he's the fall guy for this and the decision was not his alone. The government would not allow the appeal to bring to light the new evidence, so their only choice was to shut Al-Megrahi up by agreeing to release him.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Yea, thats a great idea.

Except the fact that the man might be barely associated with the actual bombing, or even innocent. You should check out the case before jumping on the bandwagon as asking for his guts.

The death penalty for murder is fine until one innocent person is put to death. Then the system should be tried for murder and put to death.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
even the father of one of the Killed passengers, believes the evidence was very suspect and didn't believe Al-Megrahi was guilty. I'm not sure where I stand. I definately think there is something fishy going on and that the UK government would rather get rid of him than force a 2nd trial, that could uncover some uncomfortable findings?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join