It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What radio to buy?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Ok this is where i am really thick.

If TSHTF, whats a decent radio to buy that will keep me informed of whats going on? We are presuming here that the radio stations and news channels are still functioning to some degree.

I'd be looking for wind up, don't want the hassle of batteries if i can't afford/find them in a sit x.

Do you have ordinary radios like the ones we listen to music on, or are there ones that receive these AND the shortwave frequencies that people communicate on?

Thanks for any advice.

CX.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I have a model similar to this one by Eton/Grundig. Short Wave and AM/FM recieving plus other bells and whistles. Their are larger and more powerful models to choose from however, they require addtional power from battery, ac or 12 volt.

www.etoncorp.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I've been using aBaygen Freeplay for more than 5 years. It's pretty durable, not very expensive, and receives in a range of frequencies:

FM-88-108 MHZ, AM-500-1715 MHZ, SW- 3-12 MHZ

The model we have has a light with about ten feet of wind-up cord on it that plugs into the unit. At least in a hurricane situation, having to crank it every so often gives a person something to do.

In 2004, we were in a cave when Hurricane Ivan passed by. Prior and after the hurricane, we were listening to various people and radio stations in Europe, from the Cayman Islands. Good little unit.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I've got that model of radio as well. I've had it for about 6 years. It works. That's the best I can say about it. But the shortwave reception is weak, even with the antenna that is purchased separately for that purpose. It didn't take too long before the rechargeable battery wouldn't hold much of a charge. But with the crank, it sufficed last winter when we were out of electricity for 13 days during an ice storm and needed local news and info. I won't buy another one, though. Maybe mine was just a "lemon".

[edit on 20-8-2009 by kyred]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

yep, could be that yours was a lemon. The model we have doesn't have a rechargeable battery, just the hand-crank; it could be that the battery model relied too heavily upon that feature. Ours also came with a wind-up spool of wire for an external antannae array. I've not used that much, except when we have a storm close. The only complaint I have about the Baygen is that the speaker is not the best. It IS as rugged as the rest of the unit though, and perhaps that's a good trade-off.

If I were in the U.S. (OP is UK), I'd want a NOAA alert radio also, and I'd use rechargeable batteries and a small solar battery charger. I'm sure there's some version of wx alert in the UK, just don't know what it's called.

To me, the main thing is to be able to hear what is going on in the outside world in a Sit X. Of course, depending upon the nature of the SHTF, there might not be anything to listen to, but preparing for a helpless situation does me no good.

cheers!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I have a Kaito dynamo/battery/solar that gets AM/FM/SW. It also has a little charger that I can get a few of my devices hooked to. Although charging my cell or ipod with it takes a while.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I have been using a Grundig YB400 PE for the past few years but it isn't made for survival mode, but it is very powerful while being compact.

I was looking into purchasing one like this:

SOLARLINK FR500

Does anyone own one of these units? It appears to be perfect for the SHTF scenario, with multiple power options, am fm sw NOAA, with light and siren, also ablility to charge phones and mp3 players..

new topics

top topics

join