It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 evolution myths part 1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
still amazes me that even in the computer age when we could find out anything by 5 minutes in google, that people still make regular mistakes about evolution and Darwin. I will find 10 arguments about evolution that are most used and correct them. I want every young earth, old earth, day age creationist and all the IDers out there to read this. This is directed to you. It will be good for you because you will know what not to say in a debate against me and it will make me happy because I don't have to say the same things over and over again. In fact, if you have an account on rapture ready or christian teens or orgy with jesus or any other creationist site, please show them this to further help you and me with this problem. Now I present to you,

THE TOP 10 MYTHS of evolution

1. Evolution is only a theory.

You are absolutely right! Evolution is only a theory, but, it is a scientific theory. A scientific theory is based on observation and evidence. To have a hypothesis become a theory is an honor in the scientific community. In order to become a theory, there needs to be an observation, hypothesis, test the hypothesis (over and over and over again) and then if it has the same results, it is a theory. Now, think of every other scientist trying to prove it wrong. In other words, peer review. If it passes peer review, it can become a theory. Also, it has to be in the natural world. Super natural things like intelligent design can never be a scientific theory. Some other great theories are the theory of gravity and theory of relativity and the germ theory and the wave theory. I'm yet to hear anyone say that they are only theories, the only reason why people say evolution is only a theory is because it goes against the literal translation of ones holy book.

2. Do you want to come from monkeys?

Well, genesis says we come from dirt. Actually, we did not come from monkeys. That is total bull#. We came from a common ancestor (I want every creationist reading this to say that 5 times slowly). We describe our ancestor as ape like because it resembles an ape. Also, we share around 90% of the genes with monkeys and apes and all of that. I would really love to hear why God would do that.

3. Teach the controversy.

There are no controversies. They might mean where life started, that is in the field of abiogenesis. If you want to believe in a god that made the necessary factors for life and allowed it to evolve, that doesn't do any thing for or against the theory (see 1.) of evolution. If we teach the non existent controversy in evolution, why not teach to controversy to human reproduction. Lets say that the sex theory and the stork theory are both ideas you have to consider, lets teach the controversy or the theory that the earth orbits the sun. If we are to teach the alternative (creation), which one. As I said before, there's young earth creationism, old earth creationism, day age creationism, intelligent design and all of the creation theories (not to be confused with scientific theories) we wont have any time for real science.

4. If you believe in evolution, you are an atheist or Darwin was an atheist

First, darwin was agnostic, he believed in a god but not any god man has come up with. Also, take note that most people believe in evolution are christian and vise versa. Evolution is not exclusive to atheists. Even the vatican (which seems to have something against left hand users) know that. Also, wouldn't evolution be a great thing for god. As far as I'm concerned, I would rather believe in a god that would use such an imaginative and thrilling way of making things rather then Poof everything is here in 7 days.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Ok you have me interested, followed you from the Alien vs God thread. Where is the rest??

Peace

Ok found it on another thread.

[edit on 20/8/2009 by LestatG]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Reply to post by otto octavius

I've never really debated with an evolutionist although number one strikes me as sticky.

I do believe evolution happens. I just don't believe it hapens to the extent that we claim it does. Even with millions of years, how do single cell organisms become something much greater? It's a difficult concept....

I am not at all against evolution. As I said, I believe it happens. I'm just trying to understand...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by otto octavius
You are absolutely right! Evolution is only a theory, but, it is a scientific theory. A scientific theory is based on observation and evidence.

Earlier this century, it was a scientific theory that genetic information was contained in proteins.
It was proved wrong.

The earth being the center of the solar system was a scientific theory.
It was proved wrong.

Atoms being the smallest indivisible particle was a scientific theory.
It was proved wrong.

Also, we share around 90% of the genes with monkeys and apes and all of that. I would really love to hear why God would do that.

So that we can eat the same food and live in the same climate.

There are no controversies.

This is based on the assumption that you are right.
It's a cyclic argument, and therefore invalid logically.

If you believe in evolution, you are an atheist or Darwin was an atheist.

I agree that this statement is absurd.

[edit on 20/8/2009 by Saurus]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by otto octavius
still amazes me that even in the computer age when we could find out anything by 5 minutes in google, that people still make regular mistakes about evolution and Darwin. I will find 10 arguments about evolution that are most used and correct them. ... In fact, if you have an account on rapture ready or christian teens or orgy with jesus or any other creationist site, please show them this to further help you and me with this problem. Now I present to you,

Ironic that you ask people to share this w/ Christians and yet you don't even bother to post the correct information. If you could share w/ your fellow evolutionists the following, that would save us all the trouble.

THE TOP 10 MYTHS of evolution

1. Evolution is only a theory.

You are absolutely right! Evolution is only a theory, but, it is a scientific theory. ... Some other great theories are the theory of gravity and theory of relativity and the germ theory and the wave theory. I'm yet to hear anyone say that they are only theories, the only reason why people say evolution is only a theory is because it goes against the literal translation of ones holy book.

Yes, its scientific theory. But it also has bias. And it is unprovable. Add that its origins depend on a process that is not scientifically possible and you have some room for doubt. Mostly however, I find that in these cases the term theory of gravity is also used to make those who talk about it being a 'theory' look dumb. Please note: it is the LAW of gravity. Surely you know the difference.

While evolution offers a good theory, you have to accept that science has been known to be wrong. I think it's also convenient that you take as fact and unarguable, something that can never be proven.

2. Do you want to come from monkeys?

Well this is kind of dumb. I do believe that those who may say this probably mean ape or ape like, but regardless, its senseless.

3. Teach the controversy.

There are no controversies. They might mean where life started, that is in the field of abiogenesis. If you want to believe in a god that made the necessary factors for life and allowed it to evolve, that doesn't do any thing for or against the theory (see 1.) of evolution. If we teach the non existent controversy in evolution, why not teach to controversy to human reproduction. Lets say that the sex theory and the stork theory are both ideas you have to consider...

I don't really get your point here. Are you actually saying that abiogenesis isn't controversial?

Your analogy is completely non-sensical. Please revise.

4. If you believe in evolution, you are an atheist or Darwin was an atheist

This isn't an argument. It seems you are reaching way out in left field for these examples. Wouldn't it have been better to come up w/ 5 good examples rather than 10 w/ so many that don't make much sense?

Given, I haven't seen the rest yet.

new topics

top topics

join