It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthcare Reform: Let's Face the Truth – by Dr. Deepak Chopra

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Healthcare Reform: Let's Face the Truth – by Dr. Deepak Chopra

www.youtube.com

Facts about the US – the ‘richest country’ in the world:

Spends 20% of government funding on healthcare
Highest in cost in the globe at $2.4 Trillion a year (and climbing).
Study by WHO in 2000: Rank 37th in overall performance and 72nd in general level of healthcare in the world
Spends $8k per year per person (highest spender)
Switzerland spends $4k per year
31% pays for administration costs
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
(CONT'D.)

The only industry where the demand begets the supply is healthcare.
Healthcare workers generate demand at will.
The more services are offered the more supply increases.
We are brainwashed that more tests is better.

New England Journal of Medicine report:
2008 – US spent over $700B on unnecessary tests
$100B+ on heart surgery
$60B on angioplasty – a condition proven to not prolong life NOR prevent heart attacks.

The number of deaths, medical accidents or illnesses contracted who hospitalized for unnecessary medical conditions exceeds that of two jumbo jets crashing every other day for a year.

Early screening has no effect on the outcome on prostate cancer, ovarian cancer, lung cancer and skin cancer.

Special interest groups spend $1.4M a DAY on lobbyists (which outnumber total Congress and Senate reps) to influence healthcare policy via the people WE elect into office but have no control because our officials are being paid to prevent healthcare reform. NICE!

Big Pharma, Big Agribusiness, Big Medicine, Big Media and Big Government are the five horsemen of the ‘apocalypse’.

Youtube video part 2 of 2

There are two videos of Dr. Deepak Chopra speaking a total of 13 minutes about the issues of healthcare reform and the issues facing American citizens. After having this ‘heart to heart discussion’ with him. Now, if Obama and the rest of the White House are on the same page as Dr. Chopra, then I’m all for healthcare reform. I just don’t want the government have control over my health. They control too much of my life already.

Did anyone get to watch Dr. Chopra on Larry King tonight?

www.youtube.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/20/2009 by Nivcharah]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
With CNN's Campbell Brown

More Dr. Deepak Chopra - on CNN

[edit on 8/20/2009 by Nivcharah]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
about not changing the outcome of those various kinds of cancer:

if you dectect it early you can take measures and delay the eventual outcomes.

Infact a uncle of mine got lucky because they found a tiny bit of cancer in his lungs and got it out.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
But how do you test for ovarian cancer? It's not a pap smear.

Did you watch both videos? Or did you just read the partial excerpt of the first one I typed?

The point Dr. Chopra makes is that healthcare costs in the US are astronomical but the outcome of the care is not any better in a country that is less expensive.

WHY are we spending $60 BILLION a year on a procedure that neither prolongs life nor prevents heart attacks?

We need to focus more on preventative care since it is much less expensive to help a person change their lifestyle than it is to perform expensive diagnostic tests and surgeries at are ineffective. THAT is where other nations are cutting costs without cutting corners.

Unfortunately, in the U.S. people will cry about freedom of choice to trade health for a Big Mac and chocolate shake with greasy french fries.

top topics

join