It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I stood-up a recruiter today..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
A few days ago, a recruiter called me asking me some questions and was wondering if I wanted to join the USMC. I went along with it until I realized that it wasn't one of my friends playing a joke on me, my friends love pulling pranks.. I then thought to myself...

This guy already has a plan to meet me in a public place in a couple days(I honestly thought he was joking the whole time until he started asking the serious medical questions), and has my address from my school and could come to my house... What should I do? I stood him up. I felt bad for the poor fellow, but I do not feel bad what so ever for the USMC, No one wants to join because... why? oh, yeah, the two wars we are currently fighting. By this point i thought the only thing i could do is "teach them a lesson" because i was so angry they one-upped me. I called back to tell them i cancel my appointment and did not have time to talk. So they go to the public place anyways, and then, they come to my house. By this time i was so embarassed of myself i just locked the door and let them stand there. I feel bad i didnt want this guy's time taken up anymore than he had wasted but i HATE the military, i should have stuck a few Abu Ghraib torture photos on my door... maybe he would have left at the sight of that.. who knows.. I just feel bad for the guy who stood at my door, but i hate the marine who was standing at my door..

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
There is not much more you can do but feel bad.

If it were me i would let them know that i thought it was a friend playing a trick on me, and that im sorry for any inconvenience caused.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Do you think it would be a good idea to call them and tell them that or should i just forget about it?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
With the up and coming war with iran and russia, The u.s is going to need some of its finest.

Good thing for all these 1st person shooter games which are really war simulation games. All the FNG's today have more experience than some ww2 vets in war tactics and they haven't even left their home. YET......

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by scghst1

Forget about it they will call you back anyway. Im in the army and I know a few recruiters and they expect this. Tell him that you are not interested in joining sorry for the inconvenience and move on. You need to be assertive in the fact you don't want to join or you may just get talked in to it.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ashnomadonte

Thanks Ashnomadonte! I suppose you are correct, I really would like to make some of the money i could make in Air Force with my ASVAB score, but... i dont want to join if i dont have to, and especially not the Marines... like my father used to tell me "There is a reason why there is only "The Few""

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
By the time you have your training done, Obama may have done what he should have done when he came into office.. Get you guys out of there.

There is money there to be earned.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The guy is just doing his job. Recruiters have the worst job in the military. You did waste his time and you should be ashamed. Man up and do what's right by calling and apologize or better yet go to his office and apologize in person. A MAN wouldn't waste another MAN's time. What did a Marine ever do to you to have you use the word "hate"? You don't have to agree with the military or war and that is fine, but realize he is another human being. We should all treat each other with more courtesy and respect.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE-LURKER
The guy is just doing his job. Recruiters have the worst job in the military. You did waste his time and you should be ashamed. Man up and do what's right by calling and apologize or better yet go to his office and apologize in person. A MAN wouldn't waste another MAN's time. What did a Marine ever do to you to have you use the word "hate"? You don't have to agree with the military or war and that is fine, but realize he is another human being. We should all treat each other with more courtesy and respect.

Psshhh don't listen to this guy scghst1 at least not the anger in his post, recruiters plan and expect to get stood up its cool man. Just say you’re sorry on the phone if that makes you more comfy. It may be irritating for him still he will get over it so like I have said before don't worry or stress on it. I know I would not, it is after all a part of there job.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Why do you hate the military and the people in it?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Be brutally honest with the man. Tell him you don't want to waste his time and you would never join the marines. I was in jr marines in high school and talked to a recruiter my senior year. After I told him no, I still got phone calls every year or two until I started acting rude and lied about being rich. If you tell them you don't need money, an education, or a job they can't use that angle haha.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I am also in the military, and i have a few friends that recuiters. Sure the dude may be upset, but like others have already said, its part of the job. Now what you need to do is call him back and be VERY FIRM with him and tell him you dont want to join the military. Mainly because they keep your name and number on record and will share your info with other recuiters in the same feild and area as a lead generator. When i first decided to join the army, i went to the recuiter and talked to him, we did everything but sign on the dotted line, then i thought about it and decided id wait. Over the next 3 months i had 6 diferant recuiters calling me. it was a b**** to get them to understand i wasnt ready. Then finaly one day i went in to redo the process and they had all my paperwork from before. Just changed the dates, and signed and off i went.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
They are just like anyone else that is out trying to sell you something you don't want , why should they specifically be targeted for a courteous phone call to specify your disinterest . Half the time they use that call to further lie to you to buy their product . If you tell them no, they ought to go away and stay gone . Not these follow up calls nonsense to further illustrate your reluctance to join .

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by scghst1

By this time i was so embarassed of myself i just locked the door and let them stand there. I feel bad i didnt want this guy's time taken up anymore than he had wasted but i HATE the military, i should have stuck a few Abu Ghraib torture photos on my door... maybe he would have left at the sight of that.. who knows.. I just feel bad for the guy who stood at my door, but i hate the marine who was standing at my door..

If you hate the Military, then please proceed to exit the Country. You have no right even living here if you fail to respect the very men and women that stand up, sacrifice, fight for, and die for the very rights and ideals which even allow for you to express yourself in such a manner.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Sorry i may have been unclear. I do not HATE the military as in i want them gone or that i have no respect for them, but look at Abu Ghraib, does that make you feel proud to be American? if it does, then you are a sick sick demented person. I dont believe in fighting for a cause directly, but if i had to i would fight for the Constitution, not this rambling BS we like to call our current Military, im sorry you disagree.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

If you hate the Military, then please proceed to exit the Country. You have no right even living here if you fail to respect the very men and women that stand up, sacrifice, fight for, and die for the very rights and ideals which even allow for you to express yourself in such a manner.

That's very circular logic. Why fight for freedom of expression if you're going to tell everyone with different opinions than you to get out of the country?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by scghst1

I think you're over re-acting.

Here's just a tip. When you talk to the recruiters. Just say "I've already considered the marine corps, have no interest in it. I have chose x path for my life, thank you for your time" They'll try to keep you on the phone. They're persuasive, but just keep telling them you're not interested. That's all really. Don't lie about it, they are used to that and they usually use it against you.

As my brother once said, recruiters are snakes. They won't necessarily lie to you, but they are very very good at talking.

My last call I got from the marines was pretty cool. The guy knew my brother, and he was cool about it. He understood that I just didn't want to go. (It was the same guy who said they'd come for me next when they shipped my brother off to boot camp lol)

But please think of the recruiter as well. Do not waste these guys time. These guys are sometimes there for 10-12 hours a day. They work hard, treat them with some respect.

Also please don't blame the Marines for Abu Ghraib (I believe that's an army catastrophe.)

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Miraj]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

Originally posted by scghst1

By this time i was so embarassed of myself i just locked the door and let them stand there. I feel bad i didnt want this guy's time taken up anymore than he had wasted but i HATE the military, i should have stuck a few Abu Ghraib torture photos on my door... maybe he would have left at the sight of that.. who knows.. I just feel bad for the guy who stood at my door, but i hate the marine who was standing at my door..

Something tells me that these soldiers dying have no real impact on the rights we have.
You see, the soldiers die...and the government officials live.
Well, the powerful ones anyway. The ones with a soul usually end up gettin' taken care of.
Perhaps the ones who are truly in charge of these "rights" should partake in these battles. I think that would change things up a bit...save someone's friend, brother, sister, roommate, mom, dad, whoever -- and let those who seem to have lost any traits of being a human (y'know, someone who has feelings; some concept of right and wrong.. something like that) draw their weapons amongst each other.

I could respect that a bit more...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join