It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it more accepted to believe in the bible than ET?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kaskade

They are confused. The "matrix" has them.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
I really need to get this out of my system, because it's really eating me alive.

How come the concept of a man rising from the dead after 3 days is commonly accepted? Same as an omnipotent being that made everything?

Also, according to the bible, the Earth was created in 7 days and is only 6,000 years old (let's not twist this one around - it says this in the bible verbatim).
And Moses parting the sea? I can go on forever....

But once you start talking aliens and extra terrestrials, people think you are nuts???

I can't understand this at all...

The idea of ET's existing (imho) is way more plausable than any of the previously mentioned bible info.

You have all of these supernatural events happening according to religion. But with ET, it's simply the idea of life in other parts of the galaxy and universe. That revelation just may lead us to:

1: How we came into existence
2: What the meaning of life really is
3: What happens when we die
4: And much much more...

But people will believe the stories of religion easier than that of other life out there.
Would they really rather believe that we are the only game in this infinitely huge town?

I was at my friends house last week, and this guy came over. We went for a ride to see a common friend of ours. Before we left, I started lamenting about life and what is the meaning exactly. I told him I had my own theory. He told me to tell him mine first, so i did. I start telling him on the way.

We get to my friends house and the talk continues. This is where I find out that he is a born again Christian. He starts going over the bible, and I start by telling him about the 300 somewhat planets that have been found, the possibility of ancient astronauts, and of course - the sheer amount of stars and galaxies in the OBSERVABLE universe.

Well, he kept cutting me off and kept quoting the bible. When I argued that there is no way the Earth is 6,000 years old, he said that with God, anything is possible (I got that answer alot when I backed him into a wall). He said our carbon dating could be wrong, and I agreed. I said that of course it's probably "off" a little, but not by 4.2994 billion years. He disagreed and went right to Genesis (he had a bible there).

Please note, that most of the arguments I slid him, he would respond (quoting the bible) with answers that had nothing to do with my original argument.

I showed him the part in Genesis that said "We created man in OUR image" (please note that I believe it is very possible that we were tampered with by ET's and yada yada yada. I don't know about this Annunaki, but like I said, I do believe that something gave us boosts throughout the years).

So he smiles and tells me to read Job.

???!

I asked him to please stop reverting to the bible for every question I was asking and to please use his own thoughts and ideas.

To no avail. He kept going back to it. I agreed to disagree, so we started heading back to my other friends house (Where I met him).

As we get into his Jeep Wrangler (he had the doors and top off - it was sweet), I asked him how he got the car. He said God gave it to him. And that was that.

No offense to anyone, but the impression I had of this guy is that he lives in a bubble; he had the blinders on.

Oh! And how could I forget! Every single time I would contradict what is said in the bible, he said this: "Satan will try to discount the bible in every way. Satan will spread lies". I asked him if he was implying that I was Satan or was being used by Satan, and he (in other words) said yes.

He said that anytime the bible is contradicted, it's Satan's work.
He said that Science and Astronomy were works of the devil.

And about not believing that Jesus Christ died for our sins. I told him that I believe he existed, was a great guy who really tried to help us along and all, but that I didn't believe that he was God incarnate. And I told him that I thought it was messed up that if someone doesn't believe that JC died for us, we all go to hell. He said that's just how it is.

I mean, come on now.

He also said that once you (meaning "I") get into God's word, everything will be fine for me. I told him I went through all of that already and that I was "beyond religion", be he kept going to the start of it saying "You need to get into the word of God".

I told him that (also IMHO) we should have outgrown religion a few hundred years ago. He didn't like that.

I get so fumed up about this for some reason. Don't get me wrong - I can understand that some people need something to believe in to fill a gap, but at least have a mind of your own.

I do appreciate the fact that Religion(s) have given us laws to follow (like don't kill, steal, etc.), but like I said - I think we should have outgrown it years and years ago.

Sorry for the rant, but the core of this OP still remains - why is believing in ET considered absolutely ridiculous by many, but believing and living your life by ONE BOOK filled with almost all fairytales OK

Does anyone see what I mean here, or am *I* the one who is seriously messed up in the head???

Hey, I am aware that of couse I could be wrong too. Noone knows anything until we die, ET lands, or Jesus comes back.

But like I said, to be scientific about it, and to look at it for how it really COULD be, I am opting for ET. That's just me.

Thoughts? Bashings? Bring it!

becauz aliens are real. and the bible is a story about aliens that you are supposed to believe is about god so that the aliens can control you better...hence many religions - everyone fights each other; divide and rule. so hence, its more accepted to believe in the bible, cuz thats what you're supposed to believe - those who run things want you to believe this and brainwash it into you wherever possible.

having said that, i think the bible's pretty accurate. its just not interpreted correctly by people. but i think its a pretty accurate record of events mostly. and has been proved so by archaeology.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Hello! I believe in God the devine is always there, sometimes I think I hear him say something to me in my head. I also believe in ETs. He probably created them too, and they have thier own Bible rule books too.
God is God there are no limits for the devine, so anything would be possible. We are the ones running around setting limits on people's behavior and thoughts. There are all kinds of people on this planet and all kinds of creatures, so there is something for eveyone at their own personal intellectual and mental growth and cultural/ environmental upbringing. War over God and who's right seems agianst the whole point. My ex-friend and neighbor is a Baptist, she pushes religion and shames people and uses religion as power to control people. She puts stuff in people's mailboxes and has her kids scream you're not religious enough at the other children in the neighborhood. She calls people up and wants to take them to church, and pray on lady's lunch day out to exhibit superiority. I am Methodist and Presbertarian from Scotland, Ireland and England and my relatives would roll over in their graves at this religious
anti-freedom behavior. I am not switching, my brother says hand her a floppy any say you'e been saved. I feel you can worship God horsebackriding in nature on Sunday if that's how you choose to cherish your God. Its not up to some other human to tell you what's important to you. In the USA this was the basis of our society, I had realitives who fought in the war of independence. Freedom has a price and is worth it.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
My 2 Cents. First post too! I believe that somehow the two are connected. In what ways would probably make an awesome movie. Other than that, think about it and you will probably never figure it out. I believe your relationship with the devine being, should be personal. When I was ten, my mother had a muslim friend and something he said to her has stuck with me to this day. He said, "Your God, My God. They're the same God, we just worship them differently." Ah well, when it's all said and done, you and me, will know the ending.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I agree with you impaired.I get very agravated myself about this.Everything that they don't understand or are too ignorant to understand is of the devil to them.You could planily see that they seem to be the ones who are possesed by a book written by man.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

You know you are RIGHT ON TARGET!!

S & F

There is obvious Exraterrestrial in our ancestry. And yep I get that too about it sounding too far off... and also they do go around in a neverending circle of scripture quoting when you request logic

so they lay comfortable believing in the 'fairy tale' version..Extraterrestrial beings make it all more concrete and too real, while keeping the Wonderland version allows irresponsibilty and comfort.

Break it down by giving him the "where is Heaven located" quiz....

He will have to admit the truth!!!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join