It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it more accepted to believe in the bible than ET?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobbylove321
reply to post by impaired

You do know the majority of those stars are no longer there right?

It's a glimpse of the past, and their light just reached earth. They were millions of light years away.

True, but for all of those stars that are dead right now, there are the same amount being born...

I don't think we are alone, but I do think ET's are made up. There's too much of it in the mainstream media, and sometimes that's not a good thing. As for all those "abductees" when have you actually sat down and talked with an abductee? Supposedly it's happening alot, but I still don't know anyone who's sat down and talked with an "abductee". (And I'm not talking in an online world, I'm talking out in the "real" world)

Actually, I don't think the media is covering it enough. And when it is being covered, it's being laughed at and undermimed.

And as far as meeting and talking to an abductee, I'm sure they are pretty reticent to talk about it in the first place, lest they get laughed at... And besides, when someone DOES talk, they are putting their entire reputation on the line. They are going out on a limb to get negative attention. So what is the motive for it? Now I can see a few people perpetrating BS, but not EVERY SINGLE ONE. I don't think Betty and Barney Hill were yankin our chains. I believe the Travis Walton story too. The movie was totally Hollywooded, but if you read the book, he talks about how he wakes up and sees these Grey's about to experiment on him. He runs out of the room into another, where a Nordic (human) ET confronts him. This corroborates with many other abduction stories...

Plus your argument was for why people believe in God rather than ET's, and I told you because people feel Jesus and God to be closer at home than the belief of ET's.

And like I said, I can totally get down with that. You're right. That's how it is, but I just wish these other people could really open their minds to the fact that we may not be alone after all and to stop reverting to archaic religion.

I know we need something to believe in, but isn't the story of karma and reincarnation just as heavy as the ultimatims in the bible? I find a happy ending in what I just said, because if you do good in life to the best of your ability (service to others, which I admit, I am not even close to that
), you get back what you put in. And you still get to come back again and again! But if you're bad, you will have to deal with it in between lives, and in the next.

I dunno. I think of reincarnation and karma, and it just does it for me. Not this crazy talk that if you don't follow the bible to the tee, you go to hell FOR ETERNITY. For eternity... Isn't that a bit harsh?

So, no matter how good of a person you are (like my mom!!!!), they will burn for eternity just because they don't believe that JC is indeed God and died for your sins... That's hogwash.

It's not fair, and it's just not right...

Someone said this in another thread a while back: "So, people who are in tribes who have no contact with the outside world - who know nothing of this bible are doomed to burn as well???"

Like I said - not fair, and not right...

Now, I understand that LIFE is not fair, but the afterlife to be not fair? Screw that. Sorry.

But it's cool, Bobbylove. Just my opinion. You have yours and everyone else has their own. We will not know until we're dead, probably...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

I am so glad you said that.

Jesus gets blamed for a lot of things.

He gets blamed for the 'Christian' church - note, that is HIS name and it is not His truth.

He gets blamed for being Christian - please note, that is His name - and yet wars have been waged in His name - NO, ENOUGH.

To those satanists who wage war - leave Jesus out of it.

To those satanists who worship money - leave Jesus out of it.

To those satanists who let children starve - leave Jesus out of it.

To those satanists who are sending diseases into the world - leave Jesus out of it.

And to those hypocrites in the church - leave Jesus out of it.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

But, if I may:

Just what exactly is a "satanist"??? Is it what I said before?

He does get blamed for alot of things. Now here I go:

I think it is possible (I am kinda on the fence of this one) that Mr. JC was 1/2 ET. This explains the immaculate conception, and his significance...

I believe we are all God. We are all equal and have the same amount of "Godliness" in us. So when he said he was the son of God, I think that's what he meant.

OR (this next one may be the same thing):

When he said he was the son of God, maybe he meant god as in "being from the heavens", and heavens translates to "the sky" or "up above".
We all know that there were many gods before Christianity kicked off. I think they were ET, just as what Jesus was referring to, and it got taken out of context because people had no conception of what an ET was back then. They just wrote it off as divine... Do I have something here?????
Does this make sense, because it does to me, hehe...

Oooh, edit to add: Back then, they thought the Earth was the center of the universe, so anything outside of the Earth was the heavens, and anything (or anyone) that came from that area was considered divine. This is so obvious, simple, and cut and dry, but it seems extremely overlooked these days... Am I making sense? I am tired, but I'm enjoying talking to you guys about this.

[edit on 8/20/2009 by impaired]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
George Carlin was smart to question this fallacy.

What makes a book with words in it any more important than the idea of strange beings in strange crafts?

No one's seen this "god" but yet, they go to church, they cower in fear of "him" and they say prayers to "him."

Odd.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

People who abuse the world are evil.

People who love and nurture the world are good.

We don't need to know anything else.

I happen to believe in Jesus, because his teachings are so true.

You don't have to believe in anyone except yourself, and your own truths.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

And, btw, I have an open mind about ETs, and everything else.

They will be a mixture of good and evil, as are we.

And yes, they are probably there.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
if you are looking at it from a mostly sane, logical point of view i think ETs are more likely...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Brilliant. I had a similar conversation on X-box live and all the fundie (violet martin) could say to the evidence was "no dude". Pathetic fool. At least the Ufo's have videos and pictures, never had I seen the Hubble come back with a photo of a bearded old guy (who strangely looks like darwin). The universe is vast, the mind of religion is small.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
spellbound, I just wanted to say that I wholeheartedly agree with your last 2 posts.

If you're good, you're good. If you're bad, you're bad and it's your ass...

Octavious, I had to laugh on that one. I'm sorry to say, but that's true as well... We've seen many pics of UFO's and while alot of them are fake, I am confident that AT LEAST 1 of them are real (way more than one, I'm sure, but just for arguments sake).

We've never seen pics of God or Jesus (except in toast and on walls)...

Ummm, yeah, so anyway...

Sorry. That's funny.
In toast... Man, I'm tired, but I'm gonna stay up a little longer here!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Janitor From Mars

Jesus does not require people to cower, He just wants people to come to him.

I know you were talking about 'God'.

All Jesus wants is for people to love each other, or at least be kind. (I know, difficult).

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobbylove321
The Devil spreads the truth, but only part of the truth. He was God's best. He was so good that he wanted to take God's spot.

THAT, to me, is the biggest hole in the whole Christian fable. The ultimate gift for living a good life is Heaven. The beautiful place where you have angels to look after you, permanent bliss. How can Heaven be the perfect place of bliss if God's #1 angel fell from grace and wanted the top spot. Really REALLY think about that.

I'll repeat myself just to rub it in, if God's right-hand angel turned against him, how can you trust ANY angel ever after?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Hey, thanks,

We are on the same page, so why can't other people be?

I will never understand parents who mindwash their kids into the church - any church.

And parents should realise that kids are not their property, nor their right - they are a blessing.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Lannock

The truth is enjoying yourself now, on earth, living in the moment.

Nothing is guaranteed.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Beliefs are odd, the older I get the clearer it becomes how truly bizarre some of the stuff we believe is, and not just the religious folks either, all of us.

The thing I don't get about Christians who deny the possibility of ET is that they believe in an All-Powerful deity who lives in a Celestial Kingdom. Heaven and Sky are synonyms folks, in the Old Testament human beings nearly build a tower into Heaven and God gets nervous (ancient space elevator?)... My point is that if God exists Earth is not his place of origin (since, most Christians would argue, he has no origin and always was) therefore he must be from elsewhere. Anything that's not from Earth is extraterrestrial. God would be an alien, by definition...

I also get the tired old arrogant "God couldn't have made life on other planets, he was too busy with us here."

Honestly I think the Christian acceptance is shrinking, judging by what we've seen in the world (and even here in our global microcosm, ATS) ET is growing in credibility and social acceptance while God is not...

As far as I'm concerned its impossible for there not to be life elsewhere, I think anyone who's ever looked at some of the Hubble deep-field images should truly KNOW just by looking at how many galaxies there are out there, that there HAS TO BE life. Billions and Billions of galaxies all with billions and billions of stars and yet we still like to pretend to be alone in the Universe no matter how improbable that idea is.

I think a better question to ask is why is it accepted for adults to believe in the God of the Bible and not accepted to believe in Santa Claus... Allow me to demonstrate a few of the basic parallels of the two briefly:

Santa - Father figure typically depicted with white beard lives "UP" north with magical helpers called Elves and gives rewards to the righteous while punishing the wicked (gives coal, which BURNS IN FIRE). Is omniscient, knows when you're sleeping, is ALWAYS WATCHING.

God - Father figure typically depicted with white beard lives UP in heaven with magical helpers called Angels and gives rewards to the righteous while punishing the wicked (by BURNING THEM IN FIRE, kinda like coal). Is omniscient, omnipotent, etc.

The Parallels are there and are no accident as those who sought to blend the real man and the myth together created a secular figure for the young ones that embodied goodness and joy. It disturbs me, however, that if a grown man believes in Santa Claus he'd be a laughing stock, considered a moron but that grown men and women can spend their whole lives blindly believing and God and become respected men and women of faith, many considered wise and intelligent (many of them ARE wise and intelligent, they are just blinded by faith)...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

Hey, thanks,

We are on the same page, so why can't other people be?

I will never understand parents who mindwash their kids into the church - any church.

And parents should realise that kids are not their property, nor their right - they are a blessing.

Yeah, I don't think that's fair - AT ALL. To indoctrinate a child into religion. My mom told me that when my father told HER that when he was a kid and went to church and saw Jesus hanging on the cross, it scared the crap out of him.

I can see WHY parents do it. To keep the children in line with fear... Ok, I get the fear thing (in that respect)...

But you can do the same thing with the reincarnation and karma deal. If you do something bad, it will bite you in the ass when you least expect it...
That can do the job just as good as religion can, IM(very)HO

See? It can work that way too! So perhaps it IS possible to walk without religion... Don't get me wrong - it helped up to get ON our feet, but we don't need the walker anymore... I don't at least...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lannock

THAT, to me, is the biggest hole in the whole Christian fable. The ultimate gift for living a good life is Heaven. The beautiful place where you have angels to look after you, permanent bliss. How can Heaven be the perfect place of bliss if God's #1 angel fell from grace and wanted the top spot. Really REALLY think about that.

I'll repeat myself just to rub it in, if God's right-hand angel turned against him, how can you trust ANY angel ever after?

An excellent point. Even more puzzling is how a perfect God seems to have made so many imperfect beings. He created the angels to be perfect, or at least I assume so, and yet like a ghost in the machine Lucifer sins. Was there even such a thing as sin at the time of his rebellion? How does EVIL all of a sudden sprout from a Holy system in which God is All Power and only GOOD exists? If evil did exist where was it at this time? It didn't make sense to me as a kid when they tried to indoctrinate me into it and it still doesn't make any sense now that I've escaped the religion completely.

I can remember getting into debates asking where did the evil come from, how if God is perfect and Lucifer perfect does Lucifer become evil? It seems to me his evil came from pride and pride came from God giving him a trusted position and building him up (ie it was God's mistake, but of course Christians never want to hear that sort of logic). Also, God's omniscience is severely called into question here - if God is all knowing then he must've known of Lucifer's fall, why not attempt to prevent it.

Why has a perfect God created imperfection? Why does he create an imperfect world in seven days and then sit back and say "It is good" when he knows darn well it isn't (or at least won't be in a couple days after Adam and Eve eat the fruit)...

Anyway good point...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Absolutely... I'm tired, so I can't say anything else except that I agree. You said it all...

Like I U2U'd to Octavius - I wish more people were open to the fact that ET exists and that they could very well be the divine entities that were depicted in the bible... You said it also: Heavens and the sky are synonymous...

Why can't others see this?!? Oh man it's so frustrating. And what's even more frustrating is why the hell do I care so much???!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   

We all have to walk with some belief.

If you have found your belief, well, great for you!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

We all have to walk with some belief.

If you have found your belief, well, great for you!

Eyahh, I admit that I am at 99% in believing what I have been posting, but the day I see a UFO, it will all jump to 100%.

But thank you. I just hope I'm on the right track, because if I'm wrong, then I better get ready for an eternal roasting! I'm not scared, don't get me wrong. 99% might as well be 100 for me in this case, but the UFO would validate it and then I would be able to sleep better at night - just knowing that I'm not 99% crazy! Lol...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
[

It has been great talking - I hope you find your true way, as we all have to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join