It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it more accepted to believe in the bible than ET?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I really need to get this out of my system, because it's really eating me alive.

How come the concept of a man rising from the dead after 3 days is commonly accepted? Same as an omnipotent being that made everything?

Also, according to the bible, the Earth was created in 7 days and is only 6,000 years old (let's not twist this one around - it says this in the bible verbatim).
And Moses parting the sea? I can go on forever....

But once you start talking aliens and extra terrestrials, people think you are nuts???

I can't understand this at all...

The idea of ET's existing (imho) is way more plausable than any of the previously mentioned bible info.

You have all of these supernatural events happening according to religion. But with ET, it's simply the idea of life in other parts of the galaxy and universe. That revelation just may lead us to:

1: How we came into existence
2: What the meaning of life really is
3: What happens when we die
4: And much much more...

But people will believe the stories of religion easier than that of other life out there.
Would they really rather believe that we are the only game in this infinitely huge town?

I was at my friends house last week, and this guy came over. We went for a ride to see a common friend of ours. Before we left, I started lamenting about life and what is the meaning exactly. I told him I had my own theory. He told me to tell him mine first, so i did. I start telling him on the way.

We get to my friends house and the talk continues. This is where I find out that he is a born again Christian. He starts going over the bible, and I start by telling him about the 300 somewhat planets that have been found, the possibility of ancient astronauts, and of course - the sheer amount of stars and galaxies in the OBSERVABLE universe.

Well, he kept cutting me off and kept quoting the bible. When I argued that there is no way the Earth is 6,000 years old, he said that with God, anything is possible (I got that answer alot when I backed him into a wall). He said our carbon dating could be wrong, and I agreed. I said that of course it's probably "off" a little, but not by 4.2994 billion years. He disagreed and went right to Genesis (he had a bible there).

Please note, that most of the arguments I slid him, he would respond (quoting the bible) with answers that had nothing to do with my original argument.

I showed him the part in Genesis that said "We created man in OUR image" (please note that I believe it is very possible that we were tampered with by ET's and yada yada yada. I don't know about this Annunaki, but like I said, I do believe that something gave us boosts throughout the years).

So he smiles and tells me to read Job.

???!

I asked him to please stop reverting to the bible for every question I was asking and to please use his own thoughts and ideas.

To no avail. He kept going back to it. I agreed to disagree, so we started heading back to my other friends house (Where I met him).

As we get into his Jeep Wrangler (he had the doors and top off - it was sweet), I asked him how he got the car. He said God gave it to him. And that was that.

No offense to anyone, but the impression I had of this guy is that he lives in a bubble; he had the blinders on.

Oh! And how could I forget! Every single time I would contradict what is said in the bible, he said this: "Satan will try to discount the bible in every way. Satan will spread lies". I asked him if he was implying that I was Satan or was being used by Satan, and he (in other words) said yes.

He said that anytime the bible is contradicted, it's Satan's work.
He said that Science and Astronomy were works of the devil.

And about not believing that Jesus Christ died for our sins. I told him that I believe he existed, was a great guy who really tried to help us along and all, but that I didn't believe that he was God incarnate. And I told him that I thought it was messed up that if someone doesn't believe that JC died for us, we all go to hell. He said that's just how it is.

I mean, come on now.

He also said that once you (meaning "I") get into God's word, everything will be fine for me. I told him I went through all of that already and that I was "beyond religion", be he kept going to the start of it saying "You need to get into the word of God".

I told him that (also IMHO) we should have outgrown religion a few hundred years ago. He didn't like that.

I get so fumed up about this for some reason. Don't get me wrong - I can understand that some people need something to believe in to fill a gap, but at least have a mind of your own.

I do appreciate the fact that Religion(s) have given us laws to follow (like don't kill, steal, etc.), but like I said - I think we should have outgrown it years and years ago.

Sorry for the rant, but the core of this OP still remains - why is believing in ET considered absolutely ridiculous by many, but believing and living your life by ONE BOOK filled with almost all fairytales OK

Does anyone see what I mean here, or am *I* the one who is seriously messed up in the head???

Hey, I am aware that of couse I could be wrong too. Noone knows anything until we die, ET lands, or Jesus comes back.

But like I said, to be scientific about it, and to look at it for how it really COULD be, I am opting for ET. That's just me.

Thoughts? Bashings? Bring it!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I completely agree with everything you are saying!!! I am a long time lurker here at ATS and very rarely comment, but I feel this way every day of my life.
I live in the Bible belt and my children attend a private school. I deal with these close minded people everyday!! It drives me crazy. I am a very open minded individual and I am very interested in the paranormal ET's etc. I feel like you ... that parts of the bible have good morals for society, but alot of it I feel is just fiction! If anything alot of the bible stories prove ET's exist and that there was probably ET intervention even in those early times.
Most of these people live in a bubble, and feel that "no matter what" God is always going to fix everything. They do not want to deal with any problem or state any opinions on any matters of importance. They just want to go pray about it and leave it in God's hands??? They truly believe every single word in the bible and take it completely literally. No exceptions!! If you question any part of the bible you are a heathen and will go to hell. Being around so called "Christians" for the past few years has really made me sour on all religions. As I get older, I doubt more and more that any of the religions are true, and I feel that most people hide behind religion to block reality from their life. This makes them feel safe and in control of their lives. If something goes wrong someone else will be there to fix it.
I also can never get them to give me proof of their beliefs. The same proof that UFO debunkers always demand..Pics etc. Have you ever seen a picture of GOD?? I have seen alot more decent "maybe" believable pics of UFO's. They answer a question with a verse or say read so and so. They really can't even explain what they believe. One god but three images??? All one, but separate entities. This contradicts their own beliefs even from the start.
Sorry to rant on and on, but I have felt this way for a long time. It drives me crazy and ATS is one way for me to remove myself from these people and feel connected to the real world!!!!
End of rant... Thanks for posting!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
its not..... according to 'credible' sources, the UFO phenomenon has been recorded since the ancient Sumerian's...

The fact that governments around the world are disclosing top secret documents proving the hypothesis of ET's piloting UFO's to be the most reasonable should be enough... and with evidence amounting, I would defiantly place my bet on UFO's over Jesus any day. Now I do believe the two are inter-connected, however to that extent none of us truly know.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
tinkytink1207, I hear what you are saying about putting something in "God's hands". That, to me, is a way to avoid dealing with something (as you said).
Getting help from a fellow human is one thing, but EXPECTING this invisible god to fix something or even help is just beyond me.
And it kills me when something (good or bad) happens to someone, they say it's God's will...
I will leave it at that.

tmayhew01:

They HAVE to be connected, no? How else could this stuff have happened (if it even did)?
Bottom line is this. I am not saying that all of the bible is BS. I'm just saying that things are taken way out of context sometimes.
I love when you confront someone (who's religious) about something, and they conform the bible to basically answer a question. My favorite:

When you contend about how the bible says the earth was created in 7 days, and someone will say, "A day to God could be millions of years to us".

Dude, if you're gonna do that, you might as well take the rest of the bible out of context (which ultimately happens anyway) or just not follow it at all!

I have NEVER met ANYONE who goes by the bible 100%. There are always exceptions and compromises made.

I thought it said in the bible that you have to follow it to the tee - NO EXCEPTIONS... I just don't get the madness.

And I'm not gonna even get into how many people were killed and how many wars were started because of religion.

Guhhhh....

Edit to add the word "compromise"...

[edit on 8/19/2009 by impaired]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
IMO it is mainly due to so many people do not read, they only go by what they have been taught. If you read the Bible then one would safely assume that ufo's, ET(by other names of course, but still not of this earth) and the likelyhood that there is life on other planets and many different races all exist. Of course you would have to get away from mainstream religion to be encouraged to read the bible to begin with.

To repeat what another has said without first looking for yourself is the quickest way to pervert what would be the greaest message for all makind

edit: spelling

[edit on 20/8/2009 by Pappa_Bear]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I think it is quite ironic that people (Christians) claim that aliens don't exist (cos the Bible either says they can't or the Bible DOESN'T say they can), but the Bible is about aliens pretending to be God. The evidence is all in the Bible, if you care to read it with an open mind.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pappa_Bear
IMO it is mainly due to so many people do not read, they only go by what they have been taught. If you read the Bible then one would safely assume that ufo's, ET(by other names of course, but still not of this earth) and the likelyhood that there is life on other planets and many different races all exist. Of course you would have to get away from mainstream religion to be encouraged to read the bible to begin with.

To repeat what another has said without first looking for yourself is the quickest way to pervert what would be the greaest message for all makind

edit: spelling

[edit on 20/8/2009 by Pappa_Bear]

But they say that ET's are called (or what was called) the Nephilm.
Nephilm = evil.

And I did read the bible! Are you kidding???!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lannock
but the Bible is about aliens pretending to be God. The evidence is all in the Bible, if you care to read it with an open mind.

^^^ That I buy... That's what I think was going on. Remember, people... Everything in this OP is all IMHO.

I believe that these (potentially negative ET's) were imposteurs of God. They played god in my opinion.

I believe that there is a god, but it's genderless, and doesn't judge.

I would say MY god is infinity. - if that makes sense...

Intelligent infinity that created the universe/multiverse.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Its amazing how when you talk to ANYONE who is an actual catholic/christian...they always mimick the bible...passages etc...
the bible is ONLY USED AS REFRENCE FOR YOUR OWN LIVES PEOPLE...
in no way or shape, was it EVER INTENDED to "quote them" in an every damn way you can.
THAT IS there religions flaw, but that is another story

anyhow...its amazing how, like you said, people will believe there is "A MAN IN THE SKY" or in space...that controls everything..
1.man is flawed, thus it couldn't be

i had a theroey about;

What if...your a space alien...a scientist...u figured out everything you could in your own universe etc. WHAT WOULD YOU WANT TO DO?

remember "god created us in his image"

YOU WOULD WANT TO CREATE LIFE OF YOUR OWN...
is this so far fetched?
what are we currently doing now?
cloning...taking out certain cromosones to make humans the way WE WANT them to be.

and on another scale WE ARE LITERALLY CREATING LIFE...everyday...
how and what?
COMPUTERS...TECHNOLOGY...
this was NOT on planet earth...ever...humans come along...we want to make something...thus we created technology/robots/future etc.

Now let us think about it this way.
Scientists aliens say...hey lets create some life...we'll we gotta find a good planet (like what were doing now)
so they find earth...
Plant there "seed" on earth...or more like "give the rib to form man"
it all makes sense and correlates so much.
So many Sumerian glyphs show "MAN IN A BEAKER"...the embryo literally IN A BEAKER...and says THAT is how man was created.
How would we make something in the lab? most likely beaker.

Why dont the aliens show up?
well would you throw yourself into a pack of zombies, if your creation went wrong?
quite literally...we're not evolved enough, were not anything what were supposed to do. As advanced as we are...we're quite primitive in our nature still. Fighting killing over things that DO NOT MATTER.

anyways my point/theory

Imagine if an Alien scientist, came to earth...created man...thus we're born.
CREATED US in there image...of what they WANTED us to be.
but something went wrong...and we turned out how we are. Yet they still observe us (ufo's around the world/shown in history)...to see how we're doing...to check out world etc.
DOES IT SOUND SO FAR FETCHED??
what do we do now with animals in the wild?
fly helicopters....planes...photography there migration...how there living etc. (what aliens are doing?)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The reason a man rising from the dead after 3 days is commonly accepted is because he is human, we feel his pains.

ET's coming out and crap, I mean come on?

As far as I'm concerned, I think all ET's and alien stories are made up, so that they could create a boogeyman. I mean look at all the horror movies. Werewolves? Zombies? Freddy Krueger? Chuckie? ET's?

Who has really seen an alien up in person or was killed by a guy that got you in your sleep (Freddy Krueger)?

Could we be the only ones in the universe? Yes. The concept of a universe is fabricated. We are all One.

Also, the truth is very simple. Remember that.

The Devil spreads the truth, but only part of the truth. He was God's best. He was so good that he wanted to take God's spot. He became a threat, but of course there's no threat because God let him be. The truth is always only a few degrees from the lie. Remember that.

Now could the Devil and God be "metaphors" of other events. Of course.

Consciousness Is The Key.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
you really feel that way?
i am surprised, because it is the other way around from what i here.
people seem to find it easier to believe that the early human were brainless oofing cavemen than God actually being present in life.
hmm.....something to ponder on.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobbylove321

As far as I'm concerned, I think all ET's and alien stories are made up, so that they could create a boogeyman. I mean look at all the horror movies. Werewolves? Zombies? Freddy Krueger? Chuckie? ET's?

BobbyLove: Werewolves, zombies, krueger and chuckie are stories and we KNOW they are stories. The first two are myths, and the last two are Hollywood.

The notion of ET's are extremely plausable, if not likely - just look at the sky when it's dark out! Nah, screw that - go get Google Earth, switch to Google Sky, and look around. I mean - really zoom in. You look at all of those stars and galaxies and you tell me - are we alone? Look:

Our sun is a type g yellow dwarf STAR. Our sun is a STAR. Dude, I should stop there, but I won't. Go to google sky and tell me how many yellow stars there are. And we already found about 300 planets with our primitive technology!!! - More to come!!!

There are about 200 BILLION stars in our galaxy (which I believe is a FACT), and there are about 400 billion galaxies in the OBSERVABLE Universe! That's just what we can see! Come on, man. Come on. How can you say we are alone with a straight face?? Do you think we, as a race (and even a planet) are worth it to have ALL OF THIS TO OURSELVES???

Who has really seen an alien up in person or was killed by a guy that got you in your sleep (Freddy Krueger)?

Are you trying to be facetious? Dude, there have been too many people claiming to be abducted. Too many UFO sightings. They can't all be lying. And what about the ex-government officials??? I mean, just look out there! The info is out there if you wanna think outside the box of religion (seriously no offense). And what about the pictures of what appear to be ancient astronauts? From 10,000 BC? What about Punta Punku???

Could we be the only ones in the universe? Yes. The concept of a universe is fabricated. We are all One.

Here's one for you. Lets say you knew NOTHING of the bible. Lets say you never even heard of it. Would you still say that??? Because of your beliefs, you are rejecting these notions and ideas on principle! I don't think that is fair to the person, imho...

The Devil spreads the truth, but only part of the truth. He was God's best. He was so good that he wanted to take God's spot. He became a threat, but of course there's no threat because God let him be. The truth is always only a few degrees from the lie. Remember that.

So because of what the bible says, everything ELSE is the work of the devil. Do you not see the trap here? That statement right there is the one that PROHIBITS you from thinking outside the box and accepting anything else... That very statement will render someone narrow-minded (and I don't mean any offense by that - as messed up as it sounds). That's not cool, in MY book... And there you go reverting to the bible. Dude, please think for yourself.

Now could the Devil and God be "metaphors" of other events. Of course.

That I can go for... I could believe that Light and love/positive polarity/god could all be one as well.
And that Hate/negativity/pain/Satan/The devil, etc. could be one in the same as well. A possibility, if not the truth as well... But I don't buy that ET's are Satan and that anything BUT what is in the bible is Satan. That is an error of thinking, IMHO, and like I said before, if you can not see the trap in that then I don't know what to tell you...

I do believe that there are malevolent ET's out there, just as there are Good ones - and everything in-between. Just like there are good and bad people here.

Consciousness Is The Key.

You said it...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
hi there,

very good point. there is no more proof of biblical stories than there is of ET's.

S&F.

g.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

I think you misunderstood the last line of my post as it was not directed at you but at those in general that dismiss the existence of aliens, yet wil argue over religion only by rote.

Sometime what I mean does not get properly conveyed. 1 of my many shortfalls

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Pappa_Bear

My bad. I do that too... Hey - we're human, not perfect.

My apologies...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

S & F

You are so right.

Here is what I think. This is only my opinion, obviously.

Firstly, I believe that you have to take what the bible says with a ton of salt - in other words, don't believe all of it.

Secondly, I don't see why a belief in God and a belief in UFOs should rule each other out - surely if God created the world, He also created UFOs. And when I say 'God', I mean the creator, by whichever name.

Thirdly, if everyone practised what Jesus said to do unto our fellowman, the world would be happy.

I am not here to preach, just stating the obvious.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

You do know the majority of those stars are no longer there right?

It's a glimpse of the past, and their light just reached earth. They were millions of light years away.

It's not our technology that's important. It is our mentality.

I don't think we are alone, but I do think ET's are made up. There's too much of it in the mainstream media, and sometimes that's not a good thing. As for all those "abductees" when have you actually sat down and talked with an abductee? Supposedly it's happening alot, but I still don't know anyone who's sat down and talked with an "abductee". (And I'm not talking in an online world, I'm talking out in the "real" world)

I'm not "religious" at all. I'm just closer to Nothing than you think, and it is this Nothing that we need to know.

Plus your argument was for why people believe in God rather than ET's, and I told you because people feel Jesus and God to be closer at home than the belief of ET's.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
hi there,

very good point. there is no more proof of biblical stories than there is of ET's.

S&F.

g.

except for the fact of paintings... heliography...stories...religions...
lol but yea...a book written by regular men "who seen the light" such as yourselves, yea...thaaaaaaaats a lot better evidence haha
remind me was this BEFORE or AFTER they found out earth was round and not flat?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobbylove321

You do know the majority of those stars are no longer there right?

It's a glimpse of the past, and their light just reached earth. They were millions of light years away.

It's not our technology that's important. It is our mentality.

I don't think we are alone, but I do think ET's are made up. There's too much of it in the mainstream media, and sometimes that's not a good thing. As for all those "abductees" when have you actually sat down and talked with an abductee? Supposedly it's happening alot, but I still don't know anyone who's sat down and talked with an "abductee". (And I'm not talking in an online world, I'm talking out in the "real" world)

I'm not "religious" at all. I'm just closer to Nothing than you think, and it is this Nothing that we need to know.

Plus your argument was for why people believe in God rather than ET's, and I told you because people feel Jesus and God to be closer at home than the belief of ET's.

for exactly the reason of your posting. WHY HAVEn't YOU SEEN AN INTERVIEW WITH AN ABDUCTEE?? because you will dismiss them almost as soon as you see there mouth open. For god sakes....just the THOUGHT OF AN ALIEN is beyond you, and you dismiss it...so what would be the point for someone to put there life on the line...for people like YOU to make fun of?

i am in no way saying that it is true or not true...but its rather obvious kid. You dont believe them either way, whats the point of them doing that to themselves for possibly telling the truth?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

S & F

You are so right.

Here is what I think. This is only my opinion, obviously.

Firstly, I believe that you have to take what the bible says with a ton of salt - in other words, don't believe all of it.

Secondly, I don't see why a belief in God and a belief in UFOs should rule each other out - surely if God created the world, He also created UFOs. And when I say 'God', I mean the creator, by whichever name.

Thirdly, if everyone practised what Jesus said to do unto our fellowman, the world would be happy.

I am not here to preach, just stating the obvious.

Oh, absolutely - I was just thinking that about Jesus. If we went by what he said, we would accumulate good karma. I'm cool with that, but there are so many things that I don't like, and it's not about Jesus himself. It's the way the bible is taken out of context and all that jazz...

And what I said about how if you don't believe in him, you will burn in hell for eternity.

See, I can conform the bible to how I want to, because I kinda take it for a grain of salt. I mean, like I said - there are very good morals and lessons to be learned, but to take it all literally is beyond me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join