It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there are any ATS members out there who have paranormal investigative teams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I have always been interested in doing investigations myself and forming my own investigation team. Can anybody tell me what kind of equipment I would need, Where the best prices would be for this? I probably would most likely try buying used, or secondhand equipment mostly. But, if there's a real good deal on some of these things new, it would really help me. And also where to find the places local and how I go about getting approval for certain places, etc just to get off the ground. It would really be helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Ebay! Look around on there. Lots of times people who are giving up the hobby will sell ALL of their equipment in one auction and you'll really luck out!

Here is what my little team has and although it isn't much, it does the job!

digital audio recorders

digital camcorders with night vision

IR lights to use with night vision without adding visible light

non-contact or laser thermometers

digital cameras

occasionally we borrow a thermal imaging camera

EMF detectors

Various metal cases with foam padding for storing and transporting equipment

Lap tops, although PC's work just fine, just not in the field, lol.

Audio analysis software. Audacity is a good one and it's free. Just google it.

EXTRA BATTERIES!!! This is a biggie! They're extra important for camcorders and digital cameras. When the batteries are dead, the investigation is over.

We have used dowsing rods, but I don't like them. I'd rather use scientific equipment. However, it is interesting to see if the dowsing rods start moving at the same time you get a reading on the EMF detector.

As far as finding places to investigate, the easiest ones to do are the places that are reported to be haunted and open to the public. For example, civil war battle grounds. Also, historical sites that usually do guided tours will sometimes let you come in and investigate if you give them a call and ask nicely, lol! Also, really put yourself out there, whether it be on facebook, myspace, craigs list or whatever... this is the best way to get to investigate private residences. Also, get a website with your own domain. Tell people what you are doing... people you work with, people you buy equipment from, etc. Word of mouth is a good way to spread the word. You never know when you'll come across someone who has strange stuff happening in their home and wants to know more about it. Make t-shirts with the name of your team, get vehicle decals, etc. Those are attention grabbers and people will ask you questions and you can find people willing to let you investigate like that.

Oh, and one thing I did to get my equipment was to let my family know that I wanted ghost hunting equipment for Christmas and birthday gifts. It worked! LOL!

[edit on 8/19/2009 by gemineye]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Thank you so much for the reply!

I will try ebay and family probaly will help, also. That's a great idea...lol. I think all your ideas have helped a lot.

I know I can count on my Hubby and I for the technical stuff, I can work with dowsing rods and pendulums as well, as I have worked with them plenty of times before. I have One Wicca lady who I'd like to get on my team, she is a third degree, I have no degrees as I have only ever been solitary, so she's be as a spiritual consultant. I have one friend who is interested also, but may not work as she has young children and can't do overnights. So I may need a few others to the team.

Actually, it may sound nuts but I BELEIVE OUR MOBILE HOME PARK IS A HAUNTED LAND oops hit cap locks...lol. So I was actually going to do the first one here. But also there's a public plantation house in sarasota that's rumored to be haunted, however they are closed at night.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Paranormal phenomena can scare people. If you suspect such activity in your area, you can help the research cause by calling in a knowledgeable group to look into it, or learning how to do it yourself. If you want to actually contribute to the serious study of these phenomena, then you have to take the work seriously and do a good and professional job of it.

I live very near the Seattle Museum of Mysteries which regularly hosts visits from A.P.A.R.T., one of these research groups. I have met them and I know they are sincere and good-hearted people. I am sure they could help you with technical advice.

www.apartofwa.com...

Of course, this group is only one of a network of such groups across the world. I wouldn't say it is a particularly well-organized movement, but there are plenty of people out there willing to communicate about it. Many have their own stories to tell, from the macabre to the hilarious. Here is one such site:

iprnonline.ning.com...

I hope your own local situation turns out okay.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

No, I want to start my own investigation team just because I am interested in all of it. I am a good and sincere person, and I plan to make this my only work, meaning this will be entirely all I do. I don't think a serious person divides their time between A "regular" job and a paranormal ivestigation team. Of course we may go broke this way, but, I am not in it for the money. It's my personal pet project, so that's what I am talking about. Of course It may take awhile to get off the ground with it.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
If you're starting a team, get them together and take an inventory on who has what kind of equipment. I recently started with a new team and between myself and another member we have more equipment that we can use. There's really no point in shelling out extra money for something another team member already has. At least not when you're first starting out.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
we have 1 established and 2 groups starting, so we are gathering equipment for the other teams in other citys around montana.

Dont over look ghost towns in your area, good places to get the group use to each other and equipment as well as they are usualy open to the public , just email the person in charge to gain permission to be safe. But we had no problem getting permission for overnight investigations of a couple here. Look up your ghost town preservation society as well they may be able to help. One advantage is not many false readings, because there is no power to most of them, so if you get spikes on the EMF meters, then you can automaticaly rule out any power lines etc.

Search ebay for "LOT" for digital cameras, you can get some decent deals, sure some may not work, but over all you can equip your team cheaply with photo capabilty , and the older ones are easy to modify to perminant IR. (plus you have a few to pratice on)

as far as other equipment, its a personal choice, but i have some links for decent deals if you want U2U me and i will send them to you.

Dont forget to do the paperwork as well. very important, you can tell a officer you have permission till you are blue in the face, but nothing takes the place of a autographed permission to be on premisis form. I can ship you what we have as well and you can modify.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I wouldn't exactly call it a team, just my gf, her gf and me. Usually we are on a fishing/camping trip to a very active "high strangeness" place in Southern Colorado, where we have documented some very weired things. We normally encounter UFO phenom but the line between UFO and paranormal/religious/metaphysical/psyops is very blurry at times.
Our equipment is basic but professional...

Tascam DR-07
Sony EX HD 1080p
Panasonic HD 1080i
Flip camcorders

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I don't have such a team, but I have given the so-called "paranormal" some serious thought. And if I may, I'd like to draw your attention to a "proposal for a guideline" concerning reporting (and interviewing) such phenomena I drew up a long time ago.
If you find it useful, use it in good health.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
...well, guess the question is: What is an investigative team?

Seeing/proving if theres *something there*...and going in, kinda knowing there already is, sussing out what it is, where it is and then dealing with it are different kettles of fish.

Are you after a team that comes in and assesses whether there are cockroaches present - or a team that comes in and cleans them out.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

Actually that's why I want the spiritual people around to do the cleansing, because yes, I want to be able to halp ghosts cross over or prove that there are none. I am looking into finding a skeptic or two, also. That shouldn't be too hard...lol.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Thanks to all who've replied, all your information was greatly valuable, and very much appreciated.

Now I just gotta do some leg work. This would be really great I think. I plan on uploading some of the highlights at some point on Youtube. When I get started and do upload to youtube, I will post on this forum.

top topics

join