It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Missing S

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/76c112e60572.png[/atsimg]

When I was in early elementary school, this drawing was very popular. Some variations had the lines in the middle different, and others had it with a joker-like hat or open on both ends; some were shorter than this, and some were taller, but they all stayed in the same general format: 3 lines on top, 2 or 4 in the middle, and 3 at the bottom. I used to link them together in circles or other patterns. After I started getting older, I used it less and less, and, to my knowledge, this symbol has fallen out of existence. I have no idea what it was called, and I've yet to run into a single person who knows completely.

There are three main theories thrown around. One is that it was the logo of an Australian company called Stussy. I remember searching on Google images a while ago and saw something similar to the picture I posted, but it had too many areas different to be called the same (interestingly, I can no longer find their old logo). Another theory is that the symbol was popular among gangs back in the late 80s and early 90s. The third theory is that it was from an old sports team, and I remember seeing the logo, but I can't remember which sports team it was from. Regardless, the logo, like the Stussy logo, looked similar, but it had too many differences. One of the problems I have with these three theories is that this symbol is not restricted to one specific area. I've talked to people online from most states in the US, most countries in Europe, Russia, Japan, Canada, Mexico, and others -- they have seen the symbol, but NOT ONE PERSON has given me a definitive, clear answer on the origins of it or what it is called. I have asked many other conspiracy sites, and they never came to a conclusion. I was reluctant to post this on ATS, because it's really silly when I think about it, but since this is supposedly the best conspiracy site on the net, if there's anybody that knows anything about it who can provide solid evidence, it would have to be the people on ATS.

It will be funny if everybody here knows about it, and I've just been left in the dark. Still, I'll take a chance.

[edit on 8/19/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hah, talk about blast from the past.

I too used to draw that S in my old school days, i think mainly because it was cool and fairly easy to draw. Have no clue about its origins but you are right about the Stussy connection i think i even owned a shirt with it on. Turn it side on it looks like a chain link, it will have to do with one of those neverending circles of life or something is my bet.
Still cheers for the reminising

*Off to draw some S's*

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I could have sworn it was from a styx album cover but I would have been wrong!sorry no help here.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Haha as Pazcat says, what a blast from the past! I remember drawing this in elementary school! It's weird just thinking about this, cause it seems like it was all the rage in like grade 3. Me and all my friends would draw these on our books, for no reason at all. Other than that we could hahah.

This is interesting, where did it come from? And why is it so readily forgotten after the age of 10?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Haha, I remember that!! I havent used it since middle school, and I dont remember where it came from, but I definitely used to draw it all over my school folders and stuff.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Mental... we used to call them 'The Superman S'. Drawing them when we were like seven because they looked like grafitti

How odd we all took pleasure from drawing the same 'S'.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
i remember doing this in middle school too.

im english so we can confirm its crossed the pond at some point

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I think that is how suzuki motorcycles does their logo?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Damn I was suckered into this secret S cult as a kid too. Use to draw it on everything back in the day cause my last name starts with an S. Talk about memories this one goes way back HAHAHA but cant help you as to where it started.

Howling At The Moon,
Chaotic Wolf

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthship35
I think that is how suzuki motorcycles does their logo?

They have an S on their logo, but it doesn't look like the one I posted. Some other suggestions that were mentioned in the past were the Slipknot logo and Southside, but both of those aren't the same.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I recall growing up for a moment in North Chicago in the early eighties and it being "tagged" on alot of the buildings outside of our housing sub. I recall it being used as a gang sign , standing for "SinCity" a local gang. It usually appeared near the six pointed star with pitch forks that represented another local gang. That was many years ago and I was in the beginning of junior high , so someone couldve been screwing with me when I asked lol.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I remember drawing this on my school books, as with someone above I always thought it was popular because it looked like graffiti and was fairly easy to draw. Pretty strange that we all know it, will be following this topic.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I drew it too.

Surprisingly enough, the kids in school still draw it (kids like 3rd-5th grade).

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I used to draw it too, I think I heard somewhere a awhile back it has something to do with aids, I know that sounds strange and I have no idea where I heard it from.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I remember drawing this too in fricken middle school like the rest of you. I remember my friends drawing it too. I would draw it all the time in as many different ways I could come up with...

This kind of weirds me out because I have NO IDEA why I or anyone else drew it. I remember seeing it on peoples binders and stuff too, and it was always self made. I've never ever thought about it until now and that seems weird to me too since I really did draw this damn symbol constantly throughout middle school and so did everyone else.

WTF?

Were any of us learning anything that whole time at school or were we all just drawing this stupid symbol all day?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Scary to say but I remember in 5th grade every one in my class did it also.I just remember seeing it and started drawing it its was kinda like mind control you where "compelled" to draw it but by the time i graduated I all but forgotten it. This was brought up with a couple of guys i work with a few days ago and we all did it and they where from all parts of the country and different ages this is very strange.......

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by brooklyn87
I used to draw it too, I think I heard somewhere a awhile back it has something to do with aids, I know that sounds strange and I have no idea where I heard it from.

I disagree, aids was not like it is now when I was in elementary school. 20 years ago, you never heard anything about aids. Well, at least I didn't I was really young at the time. But I can assure you not one kid that drew these 'S' with me knew anything about aids.

I find it extremely interesting that so many of us, from all over the world, seperated by great time and great distance, having only one thing in common at the time (school) all did the same thing. That's extremely interesting to me!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
It's funny, but I was watching the showtime show "weeds" on monday night and the symbol was written on the wall of the jail she was at, did anyone else see that?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Not wanting to be left out of the clan, I too used to draw it on everything.

I remember a friend showing me how to draw it in about grade 3ish, 20 some years ago.
Since my first and last initials start with "S" I took to it quite readily.

Last time I used it was a couple years ago when I showed my oldest daughter how to draw it. Coincidentaly, she was around about the same age as me when I learned it.

I'm not sure of it's meaning or it's origins but I know it was common up here in Canada. At least for a time.

ShadowLink: Proud member of the "S" clan!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I'm a member too, totally forgot about it... Great catch BTW.

Your image looks like an infinity symbol. I wonder how we got this in our heads?

Incog

top topics

<<   2 >>

join