It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Track Down Source of Earth’s Hum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Hello fellow ATS'ers. Have read many threads here on ATS about this mysterious humming noise everyone is hearing. My interest in this subject is personal as I hear it myself and I was more than surprised to find the article I am about to put you wide to.

I always assumed it had something to do with the Schumann Resonance or with atmospheric pressure so imagine my surprise to hear it has got to do with the ocean floor and waves.

Although in some of the cases I have read about a number which was being put about was a resonance frequency of about 8 hertz where the figure mentioned here is in the millihertz

they generate a constant vibration with a frequency of about 10 millihertz

I guess it will still be up for debate whether this hum is the one people have been hearing.

After discovering the mysterious low-frequency buzz in 1998, scientists figured out that the Earth’s hum is caused not by earthquakes or atmospheric turbulence, but by ocean waves colliding with the seafloor. Now, researchers have pinpointed the source of the Earth’s “background noise,” and it looks like it’s coming primarily from the Pacific coast of North America.

www.wired.com...

peace

daz__

[edit on 19/8/2009 by daz__]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This isnt exactly news to most people. The Schumann Resonance has been know about for a long time. Its worth noting that it has increased in frequency just lately.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitalOverdose
This isnt exactly news to most people. The Schumann Resonance has been know about for a long time. Its worth noting that it has increased in frequency just lately.

Perhaps you could point me in the direction of you'r data that shows the Schumann Resonance has increased. I know from my searching on the subject very little hard data is available about the Schumann Resonance. And as yet I have come across no hard evidence or proof of what it is. Any way this is not a thread about the Schumann Resonance.

peace

daz__

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by daz__

Ah.. i must have mis-read the OP.

I think the Schumann Resonance used to be around 7.5 and now its about 10. But i havent got any refs for that.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

Thats ok. I have come across the same information myself at a few sites and some which say it is at 12 hz but none of these sites had any good information from what might be called good sources on ATS. No references or data which is why I hope to steer away from this schumann thing and concentrate on the waves as the data has been published in journals.

peace

daz__

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It seems the The Schumann Resonance isn't consistent in all places on the planet at the same time its between 7-15.

Im interested in this post because i can sometime feel the hum when i have been awake for a day or 2.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I've got a question. How the hell can ocean waves colliding with the seafloor cause the low resonance hum? It doesn't make sense. The hum is either 2 things, the government psychotronic weapons used for some unkown purpose or it is the electrical hum comming form all of the compouters, iPods, T.V.'s, or just about anything electrical.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29not totally sure how you get a hum out of waves crashing on the ocean bed. having a little look into it at the moment and trying to find the actual paper in question. some of the responses to the article at wired were a little like your own.

peace

daz__

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
There was an on going post at ATF talking about the Earth growing in diameter over the millenniums.

Could an increase of mass be a reasonable explanation of the variation.

1 101010

---Watcher

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The hum in Michigan in the 1990's was horrific.

The Hum for me, was what I began to correlate as one of the precursor event's for Abduction experiences over the years.

Many people could not hear it.
But those that did.
Were sometimes sleep deprived because of the intensity.
It ended in the early 2000's.

I thought it might be effects Navy trails of ELF in the U/P empty copper mines.
Or some major deep boreing threw the area.
I read somewhere that they pulled the Navy tests from the mines.
It was shortly after that the hum stopped.

Are the current areas on the leading edge of a UFO flap?
Has ELF relocated operations with in 300/500 miles of the area effected?

1 101010

--Watcher

[edit on 8/19/2009 by n120by60w]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Right here is the paper and those responsible.
I myself think this must be a joke but perhaps I am wrong.
afterall I am just a lay person.

Dominant source regions of the Earth's “hum” are coastal

Peter D. Bromirski Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA

Peter Gerstoft Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA

Hum beam power observations using the USArray EarthScope transportable array, combined with infragravity wave observations, show that the dominant source area of the Earth's hum over the 120–400 s period band during winter months is the Pacific coast of North America, with the western coast of Europe a secondary source region. Correlation of hum with model ocean wave heights indicates that the Pacific coast of Central America is an important hum source region when impacted by austral storm waves. Hum is excited by relatively local infragravity wave forcing as ocean swell propagates along coasts, with no indication of significant deep-ocean hum generation.

Received 27 April 2009; accepted 10 June 2009; published 3 July 2009. Citation: Bromirski, P. D., and P. Gerstoft (2009), Dominant source regions of the Earth's “hum” are coastal, Geophys. Res. Lett., 36, L13303, doi:10.1029/2009GL038903.

source

Actually this to me seems like proof of nothing really on second glance.

Any one else think this also..

daz__

new topics

top topics

join