It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion in schools.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Why do schools allow Muslims to wear hijabs or scarves but they don’t allow Christians to wear crosses? They are both of a religious nature, it would seem they are giving special privileges, my niece got written up for wearing a cross, and yet there are several Muslim children wearing their scarves, it is very confusing to me, they don’t allow hats , but they give special privilege to the Muslim religion. In my opinion no religion should be in schools, the number of dangerous situation’s in schools seemed to be focused on religion, either the super religious children look down upon the ones that are not as religious, or vice versa. Religion in schools complicates everything especially if they are not focused on the same religion as others. What are your opinions on this subject? Do you think religions should be allowed in schools.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Didn't you get the memo?

It is OK to offend Christians under the current political correctness standards... but Muslims and Jews are off limits.

The same way its OK for a black man to make white jokes, but not for a white man to make black jokes.

And for a gay man to make straight jokes... you get the point.

We live in an age of double standards to keep the minorities happy.

Don't ask me why.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It is amazing to me how the government protects everyone else but Americans.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by brooklyn87

In response, I think if muslim is allowed to wear head scarves then your child should be able to wear her cross..... But the only way to get it to be allowede is to press the school and to continue to send your daughter to school and build a case have her take an 8 hour tape recorder with her and leave it run in her pockets, Get copies of her write ups, take pictures of muslim children wearing there head scarfs, or have her do it (considering you may get charged with stalking or menacing or something) after you have all the evidence you need get a civil rights attorney ESP a black christian, its hard for a jury these days to get them to say no...
Force the school to allow relgious freedom for all... you could also community organzie and get like minded parents on your side.....

As far as relgion in school I do belive that it should be taught ALL OF THE BIG 5. A way to preach tolarances for other and respect... Good Luck

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Don't you forget that you ARE the minority in this world today?

White people are not the majority and neither are Christians.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I think it's because in Islam, women HAVE to wear the scarves. Nowhere does it say that Christians need to wear crosses?

But I could be wrong. Religious law isn't my thing. Plus, if she was wearing a little cross on a chain, I have a feeling no one would have noticed it, you know?

I know that my schools allowed both.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

A headscarf is a piece of cloth that doesn't represent anything, a crucifix on the other hand is an instrument of execution and torture.

I doubt very much if a waterboard or guillotine would be acceptable iconographic attire in a school environment.

If I had my time over and was at school I'd wear a full Burka thingy with a swastika on the fore head just to see the reaction.

As far as my own kids go, bling is not allowed in school regardless of what it's supposed to represent.

The whole argument is getting beyond silly, especially from the xtian side.

Their prophesies (according to most xtians) require this so called "persecution" so they should be very happy that they're being persecuted and just leave the bling at home and kick on like good little sheeple.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

To me the headscarf represents oppression of women, according to a religious law. And I don't believe public schools should be a place that allows the opression of women. In fact, I believe these schools should be places where students are taught to reject oppression of women.

There are private schools where children can be oppressed in accordance with religious beliefs that make parents happy.

Same thing goes for Christians who dislike rules that they believe oppress their children. Not allowed to wear a cross to school? Parents, find an alternative to that school.

Oh, and homeschooling is a wonderful alternative for everyone who wants to organize a homeschooling network.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I totally agree with your entire post, my previous post was a response to Ravenshadow, who is fully aware of my foolish sarcasm.

I gave you a star by the way.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by fooffstarr

Don't you forget that you ARE the minority in this world today?

White people are not the majority and neither are Christians.

~Keeper

Depends where in the world you are.

Countries like the US and Australia are still overall white, Christian countries.

But worldwide, you are correct. I'm more talking laws and 'controversies' that are based on the western world where the protected are indeed still minorities.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Some will say that public schools need to be wholly secular (for I assume you are talking about a public school's policy). Others will say that they need to allow all religious displays, bar none. The only solution is to end the near-monopoly the state has on education.

A voucher program (a good first step) that can be applied to parochial education would allow Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or atheistic parents to send their children to schools where religion is a part of the curriculum, or, if they choose, a totally secular school; or perhaps some alternative not yet envisioned. When you try to cram citizens as diverse as those that live in America into a monolithic, state-designed educational mold, problems like this are sure to arise.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The cross that my niece was wearing was small and silver it was barely noticeable but it got noticed,and I used to live in the same house of her several years ago and I would take her to school and see several children wearing the Muslim attire, which like I aid before is of religious nature and the double standard there is ridiculous.

join