It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm looking for others like me...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gabriel_Monroe

Oh and Gabriel...having a passion for everything (including pot) distracted me from commiting whole heartedly to any one thing and I ended up married, a stay at home mom, and raised two GREAT kids, 20 and 17.
I have within the last year and a half been working full time selling advertizing to small businesses across the US on the phone. And guess what?....I'm good at it.

[edit on 8/19/2009 by MissSmartypants]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

That's great Smarty, while I have never tried any drugs, I don't smoke or drink either nor do I ever plan on having kids, I always thought it would be interesting to go into some form of advertising due to the fact it would combine quite a great deal of things I found out that I was already good at. It would be hilarious if I chose to do that and horribly bombed.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
OK, I'll cut to the chase for you. What people are saying is that you are displaying some form of psychological aberration that falls into the general category of delusion. In laymen's terms, you are being a dick. Saying you are good at everything shows that you are definitely very bad at understanding human behavior.

And I have asked you specific questions that you did not respond to. The fact that you have this unshakable notion that you are "good at everything" without actually conferring with those skilled in whatever discipline shows that you are cut off from reality to a certain degree.

A serious question: do you take amphetamines?

Alright, you don't take drugs. Then what is your excuse for coming on here and asking such stupid questions?

[edit on 19-8-2009 by mrwiffler]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwiffler
In laymen's terms, you are being a dick.

LOL

Cant help but laugh at that

[edit on 19/8/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Oh another thing...I originally joined ATS January 2008 but forgot my password and was unable to retreive it. I used to post as MsSmartypants.
It's funny you mentioned you're afraid you might not be good at advertising...I used to sell furniture and I was always number one or two in sales then when I started selling advertising I found it was WAY harder than anything I had ever done before and it was the first thing in my life that didn't come easy to me right from the start.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Hey guy's I'm sorry, I didnt mean to be a dick, or cause anybody any trouble or anything.

I truly and honestly just wanted to know if there was anyone else I could share experiences with, that grew up similiar to the way I did, that's all. I just wanted to talk to someone who was also the guy who was good at everything he did and never found a real challenge with anything, and had things come easy to him.

Once again, I am sorry. I'll see if I can get a mod to delete this post, I didn't think it would be a bad idea, as I honestly just wanted to hear from others like me.

I never said I was the best at anything, I never tried to be a dick, I just wanted to meet others I could talk to who grew up being able to do everything else easily that others had to practice at.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gabriel_Monroe
I'll see if I can get a mod to delete this post, I didn't think it would be a bad idea, as I honestly just wanted to hear from others like me.

Just get them to move it to BTS

It doesnt need to be deleted, just moved

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Hey made this account to reply to this, been a LONG time lurker, but curiosity took over me.

Ignore the people who post directly from their ego, saying they know about humans, so they know all about you...they read what you type, think that if they typed that it would be to get an ego boost. They cant UNDERSTAND your perspective, they only know their own. Your intention is true, as long as you know that man, your good.

What is your birthday? DD/MM/YYYY

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
What do you really love doing? Find out what that is and devote yourself to it. Have some discipline.

Look, thinking that you are good looking and then telling people about it is a fairly extreme societal no-no. That kind of attitude is bound to alienate you wherever you go. People are not going to address your questions, they are going to pick on this very obvious weakness.

I'm not just having a go at you. In your initial post you have displayed a rare
kind of psychological disconnection from societal norms. I'm not saying you are a raging psychopath or anything but if you took your post and showed it to a mental health professional they may be able to offer some advice as to how to modify you ideas in a constructive fashion hopefully enabling you to actualise
some of this latent ability you are telling us about. It's no good trying to minimise things as you are doing; 'I didn't mean to...' etc. The fact is you did and it is very obvious to nearly all except yourself that you have made and are making a blunder in the way you think of yourself. This seems to be the core of your difficulties. Relating to people is probably the most important aspect of being alive. I hope you work things out.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gabriel_Monroe
reply to post by MAB19

That is essentially how it is with everything, I do something, find out I am good at it, then stop doing it and move on to the next thing. You can say it's a short attention span or me just wanting to try something new, I don't know. Which is another reason I would love to hear from other people like this.

I'm actually the same way, except it usually takes me about a year to really get good with whatever current hobby I'm working at.

I got good at surfing, skateboarding, aggressive inlining, guitar (on my own), drums (in school band), DJ'ing (DJ'd a few nightclubs in NYC), riding sportbikes (I was a knee dragger), and now I am into cars, and racing.

I got very good at all these things. I was never the best, but I was in the top 3-5 out of all the people around me who did the same things. For some reason anything I try to do I can get pretty good at. I also quit doing almost everything I listed. It's like I get good, then stop for some reason.

The exception was I sucked at school. Not because I'm unintelligent, or anything like that, but because I was bored, and my mother had already taught me everything they were trying to teach me at school at a younger age than most. I usually test in the 96-98 percentile on standardized tests.

Most people will probably try and down you, but I say more power to ya!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwiffler
What do you really love doing? Find out what that is and devote yourself to it. Have some discipline.

Look, thinking that you are good looking and then telling people about it is a fairly extreme societal no-no. That kind of attitude is bound to alienate you wherever you go. People are not going to address your questions, they are going to pick on this very obvious weakness.

I'm not just having a go at you. In your initial post you have displayed a rare
kind of psychological disconnection from societal norms. I'm not saying you are a raging psychopath or anything but if you took your post and showed it to a mental health professional they may be able to offer some advice as to how to modify you ideas in a constructive fashion hopefully enabling you to actualise
some of this latent ability you are telling us about. It's no good trying to minimise things as you are doing; 'I didn't mean to...' etc. The fact is you did and it is very obvious to nearly all except yourself that you have made and are making a blunder in the way you think of yourself. This seems to be the core of your difficulties. Relating to people is probably the most important aspect of being alive. I hope you work things out.

I dont remember saying I was good looking, but yea you make some valid points, thanks for looking out for me man.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bickk

I tried to send you a u2u, I'll wait until I have the correct amount of messages until I am able to.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

1. I like the name Gabriel.

2. I am unique and never give up
3. I am clever, witty and silly
4. I teach myself everything, show me once I'll figure out the rest
5. I am philosophical, mystical, and ordinary
6. I'm not like you, but I am good at everything because I try

I hope your search yields valuable results. I'm pleased to have made your acquaintance and have only good wishes for you.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Hazelnut]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KnoxMSP

That is pretty cool, but I wonder, what was it like for you when you switched through various stages, did you just drop everything and move on to the other or was it a gradual thing. Or did you stop doing something, have time inbetween, then pick up something else?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Thanks Hazlenut, pleasure to meet you as well, I had to laugh because the third thing in number three definitely describes me as well.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Your story reminds me of a similar-toned life story I could trot out (mine) and it does lead me to wonder, if you are, like me, a psychopath...

Psychopaths tend to make a good first impression, they would be good at numerous things but they fail to settle into whatever golden opportunity awaits (because they'd have to be a something, and an everybody, and keep both hands within the vehicle - which is not the part of life they enjoy) and instead wander off to some new flashy expertise where once again they can be the neighborhood novelty until the soon moment when they lose interest...

Plus psychopaths do tend to always say that they are good-looking and charming, usually...and they would think that they were better at the world full of tasks than they might actually be in fact... But me, I'm not good at everything naturally BUT ONCE I FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT I am pretty much perfect enough, yeah...

The other possible explanation is high IQ...If you are really really smart, you can figure out how to properly do things so fast, that it might appear to others that you are just naturally good at them...

<< 1   >>

join