It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Addicted to Survival?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
My wife has learned to tolerate my "catastrophic ramblings" and as long as I keep the signal/noise ratio down on my spending she doesn't mind too much.

I think a lot of spouses are like that. They say that they aren't interested or roll their eyes but secretly they are happy that it's being taken care of and they don't have to think about it, sort of like a harmless hobby.

Sometimes though we all get caught up so much in disasters, panic and survival that we forget to take a break, look around, count our blessings and just take a little "news holiday" to take the edge off.

Constant exposure to news, ATS, internet, gun magazines, etc. really tends to get me wound up and stressed out. Sometimes it's a positive stress because it feels good to actually be doing "something" even if the S doesn't hit the F.

However, operating at "Condition Orange" for long periods of time can dull the senses, fray the nerves and keep you from remaining grounded and calm, which is the most critical tool for survival.

What I have found that works is taking a 24 or 48 hours "disaster holiday" and turning off the bombardment of bad news. I don't let my guard down, but honestly I get too wrapped up in it sometimes and just need a break.

When it's time to tune back in though I have a couple of really awesome places that I browse to feed that "survival addiction". I'm sure this has been posted before but I offer it up because it's entertaining at the least and sobering at the worst.

RSOE EDIS

Enjoy! But remember - all things in moderation.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Good post and I couldn't agree more.
The GF puts up with my spending
to an extent.
She surely has a lot of questions like "When will you ever need that?" or "What in the world is that for?"
Oh and don't forget all the rolled eyes

The main thing I try to tell her is that anything can happen and at anytime. Whether I tell her about theories on the NWO, possible FEMA camps, natural disasters, martial law, anything... It is just better to be prepared rather than trying to scrounge together things when it is too late.

Now for the "disaster holidays". Once again you are spot on!!
It is always a good idea to step back and clear your mind for a bit, all this doom and gloom can really get a fella down

I had one of thses last weekend, no news, no ATS, no anything besides the Great Lakes, an apartment room, and hockey. Got to relax and clear the ol' noggin.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I agree. I love the idea having a 'news holiday'. My husband and I both read ATS, he reads much more than I do but I am interested in all that is said and we discuss things every day.

I think we should all take a 'news holiday' every so often, just to enjoy the life we have at this moment.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Lol, my girlfriend still doesn't know the extent to how much I prepare!
She knows I have a Bug-Out-Location (BOL), a Bug-Out-Bag (BOB), supplies to last her and I for 30 days, supplies for all types of disasters. Maps to get to all locations of interest, but that's it. She doesn't know the back-up plans I have, the subjects I research, the skils I practice, the things I know, and much more.

I've needed to take a break for a while. When I read the post, I just thought (Ahh, that sounds good right now.) I may do so soon.

S&F!

top topics

join